Seed questions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by timmy, Oct 8, 2004.

1. alright. how long does it take for a seed to germinate in a tubberware container with the wet paper towels? how long until i see the tap root? What do seeds look like? and how big are they about? Thanks!

2. Gratuitous pic from my journal :D . I have had seeds crack open anywhere from 1 day to a week or so for the healthiest ones. When they crack you will see the taproot, DON"T touch it. Plant it in prewatered soil with the root down. I suggest waiting until they are about 1/2" long or so before going to soil.

Hope this helps . .

Gg

Attached Files:

3. Thank you very much that was VERY helpful!

4. how are you germinating your seeds?

5. Hes using the paper towel method too timmy!
    CWL

6. his looks way wetter than mine. should i have mine that wet?

7. Yes you should keep them very moist. I use a plastic bowl with a lid. Then place on top of a very mild heat source. I usually place them on top of my flo's. They throw just enough heat to keep the bowl sweating and moist inside. Moisture is the key to cracking beans and a little heat seems to bring them on a bit faster in my opinion. tc gm714

8. thanks! i'll try that!

9. Ill second that! You need heat. If its cool they may never germinate. I was amazed because i found this out by trial and error or stumbled onto the heat thing by mistake.

I use a small plate or dish, place seeds between two moist paper towels, and then put them in a little zip lock back with it cracked open (keeps it from drying out). I put a dish on my window ledge and the sun heated it up a LOT, and they germinated in about a day and a half. The dish on my shelf, only had half germinate and they took 4 days.
    So now, i do as others have said, i put my dish on my floro. A computer monitor, motor on the back of your fridge......anything that stays about 80 degrees will work good........or a window ledge with lots of sun :)

10. dude thats awesome! that means my seeds might not be totally shot! thank you so much! i have switched my seeds to ontop of the tv which is pretty warm. im gonna look for somthing warmer yet. thanks!

11. i've allways used a glass and luke warm water, and let the taproot out into the water, i was allways paranoid about the taproot drying out on the paper towel, as i couldn't be in all day to keep an eye on it.............but both work...........timmy as a last resort if the towel isn't working, throw them in a glass of luke warm water, and place it at room temp in darkness............hope the germinate for you...........Peace out.......Sid

12. thanks man im gonna try that. so i just leave em in a glass of lukewarm water? how long? do i wait until the taproot comes out in the water?

13. Yes wait for the taproot to show.. some say wait for 1/8th inch some say 1/2 inch.. personal preference.. but when you do put it into whatever medium your using.. taproot down and dont touch it as gg said..

14. i find it takes about 2-5 days with the glass of water, but it depends on the seeds too......some pop early some later..........you just have to take out the ones with the taproot, very carefully, and transplant.........Peace out........Sid