Seed questions. Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Yem426, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Hey guys, please excuse me if this is posted somewhere it shouldn't be...

I've been out of the game for quite a while & am prepping for my comeback grow. In preparation I happened to come across a stash of seeds from the late 90s that I had completely forgotten about and from a strain that I absolutely LOVED. Come to find out this has become an elusive strain to say the least... Which is why I REALLY want at least a few of these to pop!

They were stored in a sealed jar & have been maintained at 68-72 degrees. Using the paper towel method I tried my hand with three of them... NO DICE. With another three I tried a 12 hr soak, then into a moist paper towel. Again, NO DICE. Each time the paper towel was placed in a ziploc bag & stored in the dark in an extremely warm room over the garage. The paper towel wasn't too wet & there was enough air for the seed to breathe. Temps up there probably averaged in the mid 80s.

I've popped tons of seeds with this method in the past and never had any issues. Admittedly, I've never tried it with 20+ yr old seeds. Does anyone have any tips or advice?? Or am I screwed?? Hopefully somebody has something that can help.

To expedite the meds I'm going to go ahead & order something. Unfortunately I've yet to meet any growers here that I could score a clone from. I do have a decent stash of seeds but I really don't want to waste them all if there's something else I should be doing.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Lightly scraping or nicking the shell of the seed and soaking for 12 hours in willow water can help induce germination, but in this case it sounds like they might just be dead. :-(

3. I'll give it a shot dude! Seriously... I'll try anything lol. I have a feeling you're right but I gotta give it a shot. This flower was worth the hassle. Thanks for the input!! Keep your fingers crossed!

4. Wow....they are some pretty old seeds! I dont know if I have personally heard of anyone getting beans that old to germ...but that doesn't mean impossible.... I wanna say I remember hearing something about people using silica with old seeds but DONT hold me to that.

5. Have you ever heard of cold treatments? Stashing them in the fridge for a few weeks to trick the plant? I know this works for other plants just not so sure it works for the warm weather cannabis...

6. I personally have never heard of the "cold treatment"......but I do always store all of my seeds in the fridge until I'm ready to plant them.

7. Thanks for the input! I'm trying not to stress & put too much bad juju into these beauties but the thought of that first taste has me scrambling lol. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  8. My old wife told me to soak for no more than 12 hours in diluted liquid kelp. That old seed popped.

• Like Like x 1
  9. If I get these things up & running I'll definitely credit all of you! Thanks!

10. I germ in a cup of distilled water with hydrogen peroxide and have have almost 100% success rate. Usually ready for dirt 18-30 hrs after soaking. Also like said before scaring them with a razor wont hurt.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

11. You should consider tossing them in the freezer. Its supposed to mimic the winter and does something... I'm sure goggle could answer for you.

But 20 years at room temp might be duds im afraid.

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  12. I have a stash of seeds which I grew back in 2007, they hatch out just fine still but can take longer than fresh ones. I once had a few take 10 days, but they finally came out of their shell. My point being, don't give up too early

Oh, these were kept in a fridge the whole time though, I didn't realise 68-72 was room temperature. I would guess they're probably dead. Keep trying though, you may have a few that are still alive.

I would place some paper towel in a plastic airtight container and lightly dampen it. Place the seeds on top, and put the lid on. Keep them at 28°c and wait. If any become mouldy remove them but wait weeks before giving up

• Like Like x 1
  13. I keep my seeds in airtight container in the crisper drawer in the fridge for a few years and still good. I put seeds in envelope and a couple of dry packets in the airtight container and never open unless I need a seed. Oh, they love it when I put them in the hot rinsed steamy perlite after being in that cold fridge all dark and alone.

• Like Like x 2
  14. To everyone who responded - thank you! My original intent was to store them properly but due to a move & some minor confusion back in the day that never happened. I'm going to try a few at a time, all different ways until one pops. I feel like there's at least a bit of hope.

I'm sure that even if I score one or two out of this whole deal they're gonna be weak & prone to problems. Gonna do my research until then & definitely be back for advice!

With a little luck & some solid direction from you guys we'll get this mothership to land! Thanks again!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 2