Seed pushed itself up?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by bneumann0, Apr 22, 2017.

1. I germinated 4 seeds using a wet paper towel. After about 24 hours they broke open and a root started to show so I put them about 1/4 inch deep in soil with the root facing down. That was 4 days ago, two of them have sprouted like normal, about 2 inches tall. The other two I thought were sprouting out of the soil but when I just checked them it appears that the seed with the root emerging is laying on top of the soil. I'm not sure how it happened. The only thing I can think of is when I watered them it pushed them to the surface, I only misted the soil with a spray bottle though. How do I fix it? Just let it go? Or should I try to put them back in the soil as if they were just germinated?

2. This happened to 2 of my seedlings that I germed last week. The root is in the ground and it will appear as if the seed is growing up. Just be patient until the seed casing pops off.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

3. Theres no root in the ground though. It's just a seed with a root emerging laying on the soil. It looks like I germinated them and just tossed them on top, never buried them. I don't know how they are even alive though because a germinated seed wouldn't live under 300w for 22 hours a day for the past 4 days unless it was in soil.

4. That's very odd. I guess the only thing you can do is replant it and hope for the best. Good luck lol

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

5. Cover it up if you haven't already.

6. Yea I don't know how it happened. Maybe I didn't put them far enough in the soil or something.

7. I havnt tried anything yet but I'll cover them up and hope for the best. Thanks

8. #8 HarveyHarvester, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    What i usually do is get 'em moist, cover them with plastic wrap, poke some holes in it and get a light down on it so the heat creates moisture drops on the plastic wrap...
    warm and humid... like this:
    *edit: have since learned trapping moisture may not be such a good idea. Just been lucky with it i guess.

waiting-for-sprout.JPG
    Hopefully the light hasn't damaged it.

9. What's the hose? I've never seen such a contraption, but by the looks of the condensation, it should be ok. I cant believe it dried out. Cover it up and you should be alright.

10. The hose is actually a wired temp probe for the heat mat.

11. [​IMG]
    stay very sharp for the cursed 'damping off syndrome' its a fungi that really likes these noob jobs

good luck

• Like Like x 1
  12. Really?
    Thanks, i have heard the term before but know nothing about it. will go ask google for more info.

• Like Like x 1
  13. okay, perhaps it isn't such a good idea.
    i think the seed-starting soil has been saving me as it is so light and airy it just won't hold water.
    it made it just fine, as have all the others but i won't recommend it anymore.
    V-W02.D12  (2).JPG

V-W03.D20  (4).JPG
    Thanks again for setting me straight.

• Like Like x 1