seed germination

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by WDOMKR1, May 8, 2013.

1. whats up gc folks. so i picked up some killer fem seeds. i am wondering what the best approach isto get them started. ive heard you can put themina wet paper towel, put them in rockwool adn set outside and a few other ways. what is the best way? i am hoping to get 6 and a mother out of the 10 seeds. is that realistic sine these are fem?

Thanks in. advance!

2. Your expectations are very realistic. The way I start mine is by putting a single seed into a starter cube. I put the cube into a dixie cup with holes poked in the bottom for drainage. I then put the dixie cups into a dog feeding dish, water all the cubes and leave about 1/8" water in the bottom of the dish, cover the dish with plastic wrap and put it somewhere warm. Keep the cubes moist, not wet. Seedlings dont need much light or any nutes. Once the seedlings sprout take out of the dish and put under some flouresent light. I only feed my seedlings ro water for the first 3-4 weeks and they all do very well. Good luck

3. i like to soak the seeds 12-24 hours in 6.0 water. then start the germination in rookwool, or grow plug.

4. germinating is a great method, but you dont really need to. eff the paper towel. just throw seeds in a shot glass of water and wait till a tap root pops out. even you can just throw them straight in the soil, rapid rooter, rockwool and make sure there is humidity like a dome thing to lock the moisture. a heating pad works well underneath. they will pop.i leave a lil bit of water on the bottom of the container so the roots can shot down to drink up

5. #5 MrHvyduty, May 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2013
    I just put mine in shot glasses for 2 days 48 hours or so then place them ( with tweezers )in soaked rockwool.The white sprouted end(Radicle) down when you put them in the rock wool.Make sure you check your waters ph in both the shot glasses and the rockwool!Make sure your ph is right every time.DON'T DROWN THEM !just ckeck the rockwool you should be able to know when they need water.But I run a DWC if you are going to use soil get a solo cup with fox farm soil mix and make a 3mm small hole.And samething place the radicle end in first.Be very easy when working with them. I hope this helps.Congrats on your new journey!:D

6. I also heard that if youput the sed in a small match box with some fine sand paper and shake it for about 30 seconds it help the seed pop faster...true ? false?

7. I put it in a zip loc bag. Add seed in-between paper towel, soak towel with filtered water. Seal it, then leave it on top of cable box. It'll take a few days be patient.

8. thanks guys, i think im going to put them in a glass with water for 2 days thenmove to paperlate with a paper towel with a cover. then move to rockwool. hoping i get at least 6 of the 9 to sprout...

9. havent heard of that method before. let me know the result if you try it...

10. soaking it will soften the husk

11. Yeah I'm pretty sure that was sarted by George Cervantes I heard it years ago.Something about scuffing them up helps the shell soak up the water better I've done it once.No different from without as far as I can tell??:confused:

12. I tried roughing up the seeds a few times in the past but saw no change. the idea is you make the shell more permeable, but I don't think it works

I soak very small pieces of rockwool, give it a squeeze to introduce some air and push the seed in to the middle. done. I have never had any problems. I don't see the point in using paper towels unless you plan to grow them in paper towels, it seems an unnecessary step in growing. when I grow in soil I just drop the seeds straight in the soil. I get 100% germination rates and never get any complications

13. thanks for all the suggestions guys! i think i should be able to get these seeds going now...

14. I did the shotglass for 12 hrs. Put between paper towel and all 3 popped in 2 days. Put them in ph 6 rw in a solo cup with some clay pellets. Another 2 days in the window sill with one light watering per day and all sprouted. Put in dwc buckets with 125-150 ppm 600w hps @ 50% about 4 feet above them. Worked great for me! Its easy just be patient ans sont overthink it there is no weong way, you can really just germ it right in the rw.

15. I have 5 seeds I am ready to pop,so I put them in a shot glass full of water to soak and they float,should they be floating? I would think they would sink,it's been about 3 hours now and they are still floating....

16. it takes a while for water to penetrated the seed casing. give it time and keep an eye on them. once they pop u run the risk of drowning them. that's y I just put them straight into my grow medium.

17. #17 jb1128, May 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2013
    I was just goint to saok them for about 12 hours to soften them up a buit I tried to pop 5 other seeds from this batch and  3 popped and two of those died about a week after sproting,I tried to just grow them in Miracle-gro seed starting potting mix,the one that lived I had put the seed right into my bucket in the coco and that one is growing like mad,I think Miracle gro is putting something in there soil that kills pot plants...,I put 4 seeds in that potting mix and none of them made it!!!!!