Seed germination questions, please help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by socalheatz, Mar 8, 2011.

1. first time grower there. I ordered 5 northern lights seed and they just arrived 2 days ago. i placed 4 (saved one just in case) in between paper towels, and one day later two popped open. now, is it weird that only 2 popped?! how much longer should i wait before calling the other two duds?

also since then, ive put the cracked open seeds in rockwool prepped in 5.5 ish water. it's been a day and nothing (leafs) has sprung from the rockwool, is that also normal? i'm really paranoid since it's my first time. any feedback is welcomed thanks!!

2. rockwool is suppose to be damp, not soaked... my guess you killed the beans with too much water... you should have shook the rockwool before you planted the beans... rockwool holds a ton of water... then you just spoon water to the dish the rockwool sits in, never water the rockwool directly with a cracked bean...

you need to add pics...

3. pictures will be up soon.

small update, added heater to the germinating seeds, one more popped open! however the original 2 seeds still havent sprouted any baby leaves on the surface :(

i thought rockwool is always suppose to hold the right amount of water? pretty sure it wasn't soaked when i put in the seeds... but yea, this time around i shook all the excess water out of a new rockwool cube before putting in the newly cracked seed

4. How long have you had the popped seeds in the growing medium? It took a few days before I saw any seed leafs. As far as germination, it can take a few days to week before they pop, so just be patient with them.

5. it's been like 2 days. but it's all good, patience is the key. first leaf has sprouted from one of the first two 2 seeds that cracked open.. i can see the others trying to make it to the top, slowly but surely. only one seed remains uncracked (3/4 did). comeonnnnnn

question: my friend came over and gave me a seed she found in her weed. it was dark in color so i thot it has a chance. do those kinda seeds usually make it?

attached is my ghetto setup for now, have t5's waiting. do i need more than a 23watt once leaves appear?

Attached Files:

6. No not really...but once you see the third node you need a minimum of 100 actual watts

7. Yes, yes, patience is the key for most growing questions.

Especially when it comes to seed germination. Sometimes those little guys and girls need some time to poke their little heads up to say hello.

Wow. That sounds like a completely different topic.....LOLOLOL

8. Yes that seed your friend gave you sounds like it'll germinate pretty well. Give it a shot- Remember to clone the bagseed when its old enough and then flower one of the clones to see if its male or female :). If its male you could get into some breeding! lol.