Seed Germination [Need Help]

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by No Face, Nov 28, 2012.

1. #1 No Face, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
    tl;dr- Did I fuck up by switching between germination processes?

A friend had some Bubba Kush and out of the ounce I'm pretty sure that there was only 1 seed in it.
    I found it as an opportunity to grow so I am now 24 hours into germination.
    The seed was brown and didn't have many green spots but it was not cracked, so my better judgment tells me it is a good seed. I used the damp paper towel in a plastic bag trick to germinate it. I had done this once before with another plant that was not marry and had success within 2 days.
    I took it out of the bag today to see if there was any activity, and there was none beside one top half of the edge was a brighter brown then the other side. So instead of continuing the plastic baggie, I put it in luke warm water in a dark place since I have heard that you are almost always going to have a small taproot, I have 24 more hours before I have found out that I fucked up.
    So any advice? Did I mess up?

Can't wait to sex this plant.

2. have you tried the seat of pants germination method?

3. Don't get ur hopes up on that seed . Most likely it was a hermi seed anyway.
    Put back in the bag and check it once a day .

4. This is what i did, Get a paper towel, moisten it, fold it once in half and put the seed in the middle of the paper towel and fold it over the seed. Place paper towel in a plastic bag, open ONCE daily to check on germination, moisten the paper towel if needed.

If you do that should be great in a few days time!

5. Hermi seeds will still grow, all I'm looking for is some sort of plant, more of an experiment this time around rather then to make money or smoke yield. Apparently there is a way to get smoke-able bud, if its male I will just hash it.

6. Just plant it bro. There's no need to make this complicated.

For the best results try rapidrooters RootRiots or clean coco peat. Party cups make for wonderful starting containers.

7. -UPDATE-
    I put the seed back in the bag and it sprouted a taproot, I let it grow to about 3 cm, while moving the seed the end of the taproot broke off not even a cm of it but I am worried about the micro roots that could now be gone. Its planted now with no light. I will report back in when it has sprouted.

8. ... :facepalm:

Busting off the tap root is bad news man. You are learning first hand why the paper towel method was not my suggestion.

Planting them is the way to go. No "oops" involved.

9. ^ broken taproot = failsauce.

With such gentle hands, have you considered being a surgeon?

10. I told you guys it was only the tip of the taproot, I didn't completely break off the taproot or I wouldn't of even planted it. It is a healthy young seedling now. The plant is about 3 inches high and has gotten its second set of leaves, these being jagged.

11. I have a Granddaddy Purps seed and my germination process is almost complete. What I see to work best is to get a damp paper towel and put it in a Mason jar with the lid off in the dark. It seems for me the best is to spray the paper towel every 4 hours. My seed has been in the jar for 31 hours and my little seedling is already sprouting.

12. Next time around, like others have said, try just putting the seed in some dirt and keep it moist.