Seed genetics, question about hermaphrodite

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ratatata, Feb 15, 2008.

1. I've read some stuff about stressed plants turning herm. My question is: "Are seeds always either male or female? Or can seeds be herm. from the beginning?

If the answer is yes to that question, are herm. seeds produced by normal females or only herm. plants produce herm. seeds.?

And a last question: Can seeds produced by a herm. plant be fe/male or are they 100% herm. again?

2. I had the same question a while back, I have the Cannabis Grow Bible and in there it says that all hermie plants only give off the hermie gene, they will never be full sensamillia. But when I came to this forum I heard different, people on here have told me that hermie plants give off 100% female seeds. I know that femed seeds have a high chance of becomming hermies, basically if not grown perfectly they will hermie. I also know that the temperature and the lighting schedule can make your plants hermie so I dont think that a seed is either male or female, I think it depends on the conditions of your grow room. I am not a pro by any means though, so I would reccomend listening to someone else. All I know is hearsay. Later

3. Seeds are not pre-determined to be male or female. Environmental factors have a lot to do with whether the seeds will produce males or females.

If you get seeds from a hermaphrodite plant, yes most likely the seeds when grown will hemie on you due to it's hermaphrodite trait being passed on.

Feminized seeds are made from pollinating a female with hermaphrodite pollen so yes there is a chance that feminized seeds can hermie on you.

4. Thanks both.. I appreciate it :wave:

5. As said before Hermatphrodite traits are most likely due to extreme environmental diffculities.

Even the strongest of females will turn A sexual when forced to change sex for survival purposes, as is the case with many living organisms.

The best seeds come from a strong male but a even stronger female then these genetics are then crossed with a clone from the same strong female genetics and then back crossed with a male from these same genetics of a stable generation.

You see breeding is a whole new level of growing it takes far more dedication and devotion then average growing, breeding is a true art form.

6. I must say much of my seed stock came from a clone that hermied and pollinated some other females and so far I have gotten 100% female ratio with all my Kali Mist seeds. I ran 2 females in 1 gallon pots in a 18 gallon rubbermaid setup and I had one of them hermie slightly as it only produced a total of 3 pollen sacs and I missed one before it burst and I got about 50 or so seeds per plant so it pollinated itself and it's roommate. THe only reason I would say it hermied was because during the 2 week stretch i did alot of pinching and breaking and probably overstressed the plant by doing too much at once. So I forced it to hermie otherwise it would have remained female.

7. Lucky! My latest clone in a line of otherwise normal plants sprouted male flowers because of light changes. The original seed came from a closet grow that probably had an undetected hermie in it. I hope some of the flowers on her get fertilized and make seed.

8. if you want a quicker way to say hermaphrodite you could use intersexed. easier to spell haha

9. #9 cantharis, Oct 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008

So how come we are sold FEMINIZED seeds - at huge expense? They are obviously pre-determined to be female.

To be quite honest I find this whole topic is full of contradiction, mis-information, and plain bullshit. It is hard to get any clear information that has been statistically validated.