Seed Business in Canada Questions

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by DonnyMills, May 22, 2021.

1. Hey everyone,

New member here posting for the first time and have a few questions about becoming a "legitimate" seed company. I put legitimate in quotations due to the fact that to be an official seed company, you must be approved by health Canada and go through all of their legal criteria. This is the goal in the future but before investing large amounts of money into a facility, SOP's, and legal fee's I want to assure that the profit will outweigh the initial investment and make it worthwhile.

As of right now, I've been breeding cannabis for almost 10 years and have reached a point where I am happy with the cultivars I've worked on and stored enough seeds to start looking into the next steps of creating a successful seed company. I do realize the hardest part of breaking into the industry is by getting recognition and acceptance from the culture. This post is not about marketing or the struggles it takes to become a well known name in the industry but merely the necessary steps to becoming a seed company.

The main obstacle set up for seed companies is how to distribute and receive payments for the seeds. I've done some research and figured I would try reaching out to forums to see how people have done it in the past and maybe learn from their success' and mistakes. I would greatly appreciate anybody's feedback and tips on how to navigate these areas. Links to articles and subjective experiences would help a lot.

Thanks. PXL_20210517_002735998-01.jpeg

DonnyMills

2. Give some seed companies a call and ask what they do. I'm serious. Most people in every industry are willing to give free advice to newcomers. Not everyone, but a lot. Some people are busy and will brush you off but I've found most are helpful. Ask to talk to the President, CEO, etc. If it's a small company then it's usually just an average joe like you and me and if they're not available ask to schedule a call for later. They'll probably give you a heads up on things you haven't even thought of yet.

Good Luck :metal:

• Like Like x 2
  3. I appreciate the feedback, I've emailed some companies but you're right I should probably try and get into direct contact with the owners and see who is willing to share some advice.

DonnyMills

• Friendly Friendly x 1