Security question about using a ghost image

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Stangfriik, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Installing a new hard drive and I want to make sure nothing from the previous hard drive can be detected on it. I used active@ killdisk on the old drive using the 32 sweep process then installed a new copy of windows on it.

I bought a new hard drive and I want to create an image of my current config then restore it on the new drive. Would there be any way to recover old files from the previous hard drive's image when I restore it on to the new drive even after using Killdisk?

Thanks

2. you need to run it about 8 times to completely remove everything.

3. Hmm wow didn't know that.

What about the image file that I created? Basically I used the clone option within Acronis to copy over an exact copy of the used space off the old drive. Could the files that were cloned to the new drive still have remnants from previous files or is that not how it works?

I'm starting to confuse myself but would there still be a way to look at my new drive with the cloned image and somehow pull data from that? The old drive will be trashed so it won't be around but I'm worried that there could be remnants on the cloned image

4. NO, the ghost images come directly from the drive itself and slightly from the actual data.

It is really complicated, but essentially the majority of the ghost is due to how the 1/0s change on the drive. As long as you keep making them flip around you should be fine.

Lol, im making this complicated. Ill make it easier

You can keep your image, for the most part you wont be able to find much on there as far as ghost images are concerned. The only things you would be able to find on there would be files you didnt format delete but just deleted through windows or w/e. The files you did format delete could be only nabbed through the HD via magnetic ghosting. The images should be completely gone by about 6-12 formats