security light hps

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kingroobb, Jul 21, 2007.

1. i got my lil grow going on cfl's ( 150 w total ) , i just purchased a 50 w HPS security light ( see pic attached ) from the depot for 29.99 w/out tax so i thinks it a good deal:D . i was just wondering if i should take that shitty lense off of it ?. it looks like it will diffuse alot of the light . also if i did take the lense off it , it doesnt have any reflector of any kind so can i make one ?( the user manual says *fixture must not be installed facing reflective surfaces closer than 5 feet* .... do you think thats b.s. or should i listen ? just seems like ill be wasting alot of light by not reflecting . i only have like 2 -3 weeks left in flowering . should i just wait to put the hps in till next grow or can i squeeze some more out of the babies ? thanks

Attached Files:

2. I tried using a couple of those before and my plants didnt do well at all. the lights produced way too much heat and the plants just stretched tremendosly. try it if you want but id sick to the fluoros
    if you dont wanna buy a real light

3. ^^^

thanks for the reply suspect. i had considered one of those. what did it bring the temps up to?

4. oh id say prolly somewhere around 90-95 degrees
    they produce more heat than light output.