Second grow, understairs closet, LOS, mainline?

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by JonInColorado, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Update - Friday - 5/25/18, Day 19 of flower, day 74 overall.

I had a bit of an absentee presence in the grow room this week, only really stopping in to water, working 10 hour days and forgetting to check before the light shuts off at night, yesterday I even forgot to water in the morning, luckily I had time last night before the light shut off. They don't seem too bothered by it, and they're doing just fine. I'm done with defoliating, and I think they're probably done making new leaves, when I watered the girls last night, jh1 had mummified 5 or 6 lower leaves. Philosophy time: so I don't find either side of most arguments to be without merit, and trying to find the wrongness in another point of view is decidedly anti-scientific and ultimately benefits no one, so in the case of defoliating vs. never defoliating (except mummies) I have so far only tried defoliating, and some day I'll try an entirely cut-free grow, and just train it around to bush out. But for the time being, I'm just gonna leave 'em be with what they got, which right now is a bunch of poofballs of white hairs, their distinct smells are becoming more noticeable.

[​IMG]

They're all pretty close in height now with jh1 on the floor. There are 5 more inches of travel in the light, if they get taller than that, jh1 gets supercropped, while I weep openly.
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror 1
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror 2
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights 1
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights 2
    [​IMG]

New Stuff!!!!
    Grow tent and cheap little COB light (CRX Sunny "1500W"), about $185 for both of 'em, gonna try to do a little beginners guide to cheap organic growing, but I'll probably use that as a temporary grow space for the next crop I grow in the closet, plant 4 seeds (probably 2 jock horrors (I have 3 more) and 2 jack herrers (free from seedsman)), veg them out in the tent, then transplant into closet after harvesting the current crop and making any new modifications to the closet. Then I'll do the cheapo grow with a couple more free seeds (Critical from RQS and Milkshake by AG). I may end up using the tent as a veg tent and flower in the closet, I imagine this light is big enough to veg 4 plants, if maybe not flower them, but chickens and hatching and so on and so forth. I am also gonna try autoflowers again some day, probably after I get tired of growing all those bag seeds, which'll be after I grow all these free seeds.

[​IMG]

Happy Weekend Everyone :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Woo wooo!!! Looks fucking stellar there my guy!!!!
    I have the crx sunny 1800...? I believe it was same lamp 6 cob instead of 5, worked amazing for veg, seems like it’s pretty decent for flowering def great for veg and cover a good area too. Easily does just as good as a 400w mh
    Looks awesome dude!!!! Looking forward to where this is going

3. Thanks, Buddy :)

The 1800 is the first one I looked at, since this tent's pretty little I figured the 1500 would be enough, probably shoulda just went with the bigger one. Oh well, I plan on 2 more tents (eventually), probably the bigger wide tent, this one is 36"x20"x62" which fits perfectly into a nook in the room with the grow room as its closet, so probably the 48x24x60 (or 80" tall if I can find one), I know square is more efficient, but the room has to serve dual purposes. Anywho, I'm thinking about the 1800s for those, unless I have a really good summer and can afford to do 2 more dwarf stars. I'm also thinking I might do autoflowers in at least one of those, might try both for a while, have an auto harvest every month and some change, a photo harvest every 2 months, that could be busy. Or do autos in all 4 spaces, harvest every 3 weeks, and go crazy, lol. nah, I'll probably just do individual experiments in each, whatever I feel like doing at the time, already mentally engineering all the ducting and fresh air sources and whatnot, might have to undo half of what I just did in the closet, lol. OK, later :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 1
  4. So I just watered the girls and trained out the northern lights a bit, they were growing pretty close together, due to my hasty removal of the tomato cages, just used good 'ol plant ties into holes poked in the bucket with a straight pick tool, it's no ridiculously expensive velcro system, but at least it works better :ey: sorry, have to poke fun at companies that make nonsense sometimes (I'm sure the product works fine, it just seems silly to me). Anywho, also I watered slower since I was training, and I didn't get hardly any runoff, and the northerns seemed a little too dried out, so I added an extra 1/4 liter of water for a total of 1 1/4 liters. We'll see how droopy they are at their next watering and either leave it or bump it up again. They don't seem to be growing much taller (mercifully), and I can hopefully finish them all in place, I am still turning them 1/4 turn every other day, might do it every day if I don't get another job that requires so much of my time (old 1930s-1950s houses are gorgeous when you paint the glazed windows and use 3,451 tubes of caulking to seal all the gaps in the siding and whatnot, but wow is it absurdly time consuming)

[​IMG]

also moved the fan up higher (after this was taken) thinking about getting a tall tower fan for this room, no idea what I want for the grow tent fan-wise

[​IMG]

:love-m3j:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Looks fantastic my friend as always
    Look forward to all your future plans and ideas as well dude , great work

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Your killing it! Great work Jon!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Thanks, Homies :love-m3j:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Update - Friday - 6/1/18, Day 26 of flower, day 81 overall.

So I just realized that there's a "complete marijuana grow journal" section in the add media thing, I've been flooding the indoor crops section like a doofus... oh well, next grow the journal will be better along with everything else, lol. One thing I'm noticing about the mainline technique is that flowering is basically just move light, water, remove mummies, smell, take pictures for GC, I dig it. Took side pictures of everyone today, I now take the front plants out to water the back ones, not even gonna pretend like the 'ol reach around'll get it done anymore (giggity). They're starting to frost more, the white hairs are even bigger poofballs, and they are thirsty, I'm up to 1 1/2 liters every other day (conveniently the size of my little watering can), might have to up it again, jh1 doesn't even get runoff at this amount. The upward growth is now measurable in clicks of the light lifters, some days are 1-click days, some are 2 or 3 clicks, so like maybe 1/8th-1/4 inch every day at the most, still got like 3 or 4 inches of travel left, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Other than that, everything's great :p

[​IMG]

Jock Horror 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Getting started on a new building project, building a platform for my grow tent to sit on that'll have an air intake from the next room that channels and filters it into one of the rectangular intakes (round lower intakes would've made this super easy), this time I'm actually going to document it and get pictures of everything and do a build journal, I'll post a link to that whenever I actually start it.

Enjoy the weekend everyone, may your plants be stinky and take up too much space:love-m3j:

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Update - Friday - 6/8/18, Day 33 of flower, day 88 overall.

Busy week in the growing area.. i guess one could call it, built a platform for the new grow tent, which I need to do much more to this weekend, one channel to one side vent is nowhere near enough air for even a small tent with an under-powered inline fan, so more construction is needed, luckily it's just housing soil with seeds in it, I can put those in the big grow room on the floor while I work on the tent platform. I guess that's the other news, I started the seeds for the next grow in the closet :D I just used Roots 707, as I only just mixed up more of ITG's soil (modified though, down to 1/2 cup rock dust per cubic foot of soil), so hopefully they all pop.

But in this grow, all is well, the Jock Horror's are basically done growing taller and are fattening up, but the Northern Lights' are still stretching a little, had to lower them a couple inches, the jocks are also frosting up and really starting to smell like flowering weed :D everyone is now mummifying lower leaves, except jh2, all her leaves are still perfect. I have a theory that the Northern Lights' may have been stunted somehow, possibly by the soil, and may take more time to finish.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror 1
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror 2
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights 1
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights 2
    [​IMG]

Next grow that I do mainlining on, I will definitely use the tomato cages and not take them off, but will probably lollipop to just slightly above the cage rim, not sure why I didn't do that this time, but I think just shoots, not fan leaves at that point. Have a good weekend everyone! :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Really coming together so good my friend great job

• Like Like x 1
  11. Update - Friday - 6/15/18, Day 40 of flower, day 95 overall.

Hi everyone, good week in the closet, gotta work soon so not much time for musings, but I did get side shots this time. They're all making mummies on the regular, except jh2, I think she's a very different phenotype than her sister. I switched places with jh1 and jh2

[​IMG]

Jock Horror 1
    Different top than last time, this is one of the side chutes that grew up while waiting for the other plants (she has 4 extra tops).
    [​IMG]
    she's gonna be needing some yoyo-ing once her branches get heavy.
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Have a good weekend everyone! :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Looks fucking wicked my guy!!!
    Fantastic work

• Like Like x 1
  13. Update - Friday - 6/22/18, Day 47 of flower, day 102 overall.

So I definitely have some deficiencies, as the leaves are depicting, giving me photographic reference to plants with nothing added to them to compare to future plants where I'll experiment with definitely top-dressing, and maybe with some teas. I'll start with just some local earthworm castings, and expand from there. Some day, I'm gonna actually buy the necessary 4,000 amendments and do a true TLO grow, with spikes and teas and everything, but I want to get this minimalist growing style down to muscle memory, so I always have a method on standby that'll grow great weed with little effort that I can use or recommend to people, I plan on doing it this way until all my bag seeds are gone, then I'll try TLO with some purchased seeds.

[​IMG]

Jock Horror 1
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror 2
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights 1
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights 2
    [​IMG]

I can't remember if jh2 was making mummies last time, but she definitely is now, she dropped 5 on her own last watering, only one is in the process of mummification, the rest look perfect, I think she's doing one at a time, she's also showing almost no signs of deficiencies, unlike everyone else.

Happy Weekend Everyone! :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Update - Friday - 6/29/18, Day 54 of flower, day 109 overall.

Just bulking and making mummies this week, I finally added dirt to nl1, who had less than her sisters and was going through water faster (although drinking the same amount... curious). It's looking like they're drinking less, I skipped a day this week when they didn't feel light and were still damp, watered yesterday, gonna monitor them and check their weight and dampness regularly and not water until they droop. I moved jh1 to her original location, where she will sit, unmoving until the end, her branches need to be yoyo'd up, and taking them down every time was getting silly, so I put her in the back, where she'll stay.

[​IMG]

Jock Horror 1
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror 2
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights 1
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights 2
    [​IMG]

Happy Weekend Everyone! :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Update - Friday - 7/6/18, Day 61 of flower, day 116 overall.

Getting close now, starting to see hints of amber trichs on the northern lights plants, none on the jocks yet. The smell is pretty fantastic now, I take off about 20-40 mummies every other day from the whole room. Early work day today so not much time for rambling.

[​IMG]

Jock Horror 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror 2
    I really wish I woulda cloned her, love this plant :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights 1
    She sorta mummified all her big fan leaves at once, so she's kinda sparse looking.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Super excited for harvest, it looks like the northern's are gonna finish first, which is fine, I wanna see how much more jh2 bulks up, I'll bet she'll be the heaviest, jh1 has lots and lots of chutes everywhere that'll have a lot of little airy buds, but jh2 grew no extra chutes, all her bud sites are nice and dense and uniform, all her tops are at the same height, she only mummifies older big leaves, she never really droops and her branches are stronger than the other plants... an OCD growers' fantasy, I hope her smoke is as wonderful.
    Happy weekend everyone :love-m3j:

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Hey everyone :)

So I finally figured out how to use the macro setting on my camera, only took 8 years, anywho, got some close-up (ish) bud shots, enjoy.

Jock Horror 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The northerns are probably coming down this weekend, spent a lot of time inspecting with the loupe this morning, the jocks are still budding, so who knows. :love-m3j:

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. I just got done chopping and trimming Northern Lights #2, last to sprout, first to chop (my my my, i'm first sprouted last chopped, baby) almost works, melody's all wrong though, not that anyone will get the reference.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She fills out 2 hangers pretty well.
    [​IMG]

Managed to scrape up some scissor hash which we smoked off the end of a pipe poker tool
    [​IMG]

All the resinous trimmings and super-airy "buds" will eventually become joints that will hopefully hold me over until the good stuff is fully cured, but I'll have trimmings and little buds from all 4 plants.... so... wow that's a lot of joints...
    [​IMG]
    :love-m3j:

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Chopped Northern Lights 1 down yesterday :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jh2 is very close as well. :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Weighed and jar'd jh2 today, came in at 1.45 oz, less than I was expecting, but not surprising, the northern lights plants didn't like the soil from the beginning.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Jock Horrors both have some slight amber up top, but none on their lower buds.

• Like Like x 1