Second grow, understairs closet, LOS, mainline?

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by JonInColorado, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Update - Friday - 5/04/18, oldest plant is 53 Days old.

A week of much growth! they've finally been left alone long enough to really start going. I'm thinking I'm gonna get some tomato cages after all, ties are fine for most stuff, but I find if I use them to train down too much, I also train out too much, the tomato cage ring would seem to eliminate that problem somewhat. Today just happens to be a watering day, so that's why the drooping, but they are generally very happy looking. Water is (as of today) up to 3/4 liter every other day, I realize I'm being more robotic than intuitive with the watering, but if it keeps me from doing it wrong, it'll work for me for now. So the plan is to get tomato cages, train down jh1 and nl1 to where the 2s can be on the ground and even with the others, then once everything is at 12-13" flip it. The alternative is to let jh1 grow naturally, and use bricks and buckets and whatnot to keep the other 3 at the same height, I'll continue this thought after some pictures.

[​IMG]

Jock Horror #1
    Her mid-growth is gonna go wild, I can already tell.
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror #2
    At first I thought she was stunted from growing weirdly in the starter pot, now I'm thinking she might just be a super-bushy, short phenotype of this strain?
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights #1
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights #2
    She's growing unevenly, might get her in a cage too, going to try normal tie-downs on the longer tops to bring them down and let the others catch up.
    [​IMG]

So I'm not too worried about the plants bushing out so much that they take over the grow space, it looks like they're packed in there, but that's just because of how I photograph them, they got loads of room to bush out like crazy, if I had 2 of these lights, then I'd be worried about rampant mid growth taking over, but not with 3' x 5-ish' and one 11-oz light, 3x3 can do a pound and a half with enough light, but admittedly more height than I have, point is, I think we'll be fine if I wait until 13". I still want the 2s to get a little more height... of course now that I think about it, it wouldn't really be that big of deal if I had 2 plants that were bigger than the other 2 and produced more.

I'm over-thinking all this, I'll go get 4 tomato cage things and figure out what to do from there, have a good weekend everyone :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Not trying to be annoying prick but I’d still definitely be going into flower now with only that light.
    My plants had lots of leg room when I started flowering 3 weeks in I was hoping for more males because I had plants over lapping like. Crazy, even trimmed three of them to be single cola plants lol.

I just think you’d get a loot better harvest if you don’t over grow em.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  3. Oh and they all look fuckin incredible!!!!! Good job man

4. *** every grow Iv done, one of my many mistakes has been over crowding and growing to much for the light source.
    Learning quickly that it does not pay off at all

5. I don't think you're being a prick at all :passing-joint:
    I just take a lot of convincing when I get my mind stuck on one particular avenue, and I think it was watching too many videos about growing gigantic plants when I first started researching, maybe I'll flip this weekend, even though the #2's are only 8-9" tall, I have no problem with them finishing earlier than expected... maybe I'll wait until Sunday before I water them so I can train them into their tomato cages when they're nice and limp. then flip starting Monday.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hey everyone, today's the day, watered 'em this morning, changed the light timer to 12/12. spent an hour and a half yesterday with an angle grinder, cutting up tomato cages, I now have 4 small, 4 medium, and 4 large hoops to choose from, they seem to be almost exactly the rim size of 2, 3 and 5 gallon pots, so I just used the small ones. The plants aren't tall enough to use them yet, in fact I cut off 5" from all the legs to get them down as low as they are, but I think these come into play later. I haven't given up hope of getting the front 2 plants back onto the ground, but I'm not stressing about it either, one grew sideways in her starter pot and the other was stuck in her seed for a week, so I'll train down the 1s and stick bricks under the 2s to keep it all roughly even, and whatever happens happens. I'll probably up the water to 1 liter every other day, they have no problem going through 3/4 ltr now. Looking forward to how great the house is gonna smell :)

[​IMG]

this shot should give a better idea of how much overall space there is width-wise, the light can go 17" higher than it is.

[​IMG]

Cheers Everyone! :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Weooo looks good, that space will fill up good with size they are. Looking forward to this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. @jonincolorado if thats the light im thinkin it is its really good fixture....from a husband/wife youtube channel?

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

9. Thanks, souls :) I'm looking forward to it too

Yeah, Neil something and Samamtha Stone.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Update - Thursday - 5/10/18, Day 4 of flower, day 59 overall.

Hi Everyone! :)
    I'm doing the update today due to work stuff, but a lot happened this week. I defoliated some of their large fan leaves that were really low (my wife is gonna dry them and make a wreath lol). Training seems to be working, more or less, they're finally at the same height, but there's way more jh1 than anything else, she turns up to the light in like 20 minutes, it's hard to keep her short, but I'm doing sort of a spiral which seems to work pretty well, but might have diminishing returns as the branches start overlapping each other. I don't think I'll need to train down too much longer though, the 2s are almost caught up.

[​IMG]

Jock Horror #1
    I wish all 4 plants grew like her, she's a beast. and her mid-growth is bigger than nl2's main growth.
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights #1
    Not as big as jh1, but she finally got to the point today that I felt comfortable training her to the same height.
    [​IMG]

The #2's
    nl2 is just barely tall enough to get around the cage ring. jh2 is as always, short but beautiful.
    [​IMG]

Finally off the bricks!
    [​IMG]

I also lowered the light down to 18" above the highest point of the canopy, I'm gonna try to keep it there for the duration, checking morning and evening to make sure it's not too low. It's lowest point until now was 21".

Cheers everyone! have a good weekend! :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. All looking incredible my friend!!! Awesome growth on some of those

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. They are looking good man

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Thanks, guys! :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hello Everyone!

Some updates; lowered the fan and turned it up, rotated the girls for the first time, not sure why i haven't, but they seem fine with it, think I'll do that whenever I water, rotate counter-clockwise, and rotate a half turn in-place every other day when I don't water (I think that's comprehensive enough, lol). Also undid all the ties holding down the 1's, jh1 immediately shot up a couple inches (her inside growth had overtaken her main tops(in height anyway)). nl1 isn't much taller than the 2's now, so it's basically jh1 on the floor, everyone else on a brick, and it's fairly even, so I'm ok with it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The second picture is what the lower parts of both of the northern lights plants look like. It was about 10 am when I took that picture, so 2 hours after they had woken up, they were watered yesterday morning and tomorrow morning is their next watering. My suspicion is that the 100% indica northern lights plants just don't like this soil all that much, might try this strain again with a batch with 1 cup of rock dust instead of 4, and see if they like it more. I'll also try this sativa strain again but in the revised soil as well, see how they do in that. Or maybe it's something else, maybe I'm over-watering? it's 1 liter every other day, they're drooping at watering time and perky a couple hours after watering... I'm stoned and rambling, cheers everyone :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Looking awesome my guy!!! Great work

16. Update - Friday - 5/18/18, Day 12 of flower, day 67 overall.

Took the cages off the Northern Lights', they just didn't seem to like 'em, nor do they seem to like not having them. I really wanna try these northern lights again, and I do wanna keep trying this soil, but minus 3 1/2 cups of rock dust, and with all northern lights, or other indicas, no more tortoise and hare grows for me... of course that'll probably be after I go through all my current seeds. Moving on, Jock Horror #1 is as always, way faster than the other plants, gonna need to start using upturned buckets or something to keep the other 3 even, maybe some sort of Styrofoam blocks. I feel like trying to train down jh1 would be ideal, I just don't have any confidence in trying to actually do that, so I'll keep stacking until it's literally too tall, then I'll figure something out, but until then, the other girls are just gonna have to be on booster seats, watering day, so much drooping, also they've rotated back to their original positions. Rambling will resume at end of post.

[​IMG]

Jock Horror #1
    I wish I had 3 more just like her
    [​IMG]

Jock Horror #2
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights #1
    [​IMG]

Northern Lights #2
    [​IMG]

So I feel like I understand the fundamentals of training a cannabis plant. However, I don't really grasp how to make a tall flowering plant shorter, unless I kept the tomato cage intact and kept spiraling around or supercropped a whole bunch, but I don't really wanna do that if I can avoid it. Meh, happy weekend everyone. :love-m3j:

17. Looks fantastic my friend!!!!
    Killing it!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Try Craigslist or kijiji or what ever you have in your area, they sell second hand for dirt cheap I picked up 5 double tube powerful ones once for 20$

19. random update :)

everything is much perkier and happier now, maybe the nl's were just taking longer to recover from defoliating, and maybe the jh's are naturally perkier (less likely to droop), so it just looks like the nl's are doing not-so-great, because they're normal people standing next to supermodels... a working theory for the moment anyway, whatever the case, everyone loves their original location, and since moving them is kind of a pain, i may just leave 'em be and water in place... we'll see.

[​IMG]

almost even, jh1 just needs a day or 2 and she'll be the tallest again.
    [​IMG]

I mean... she's already the tallest, by 7" when she catches up, but you know what I mean, I just hope that the stretch slows way down soon before I have a tree under my stairs :p

The perks of being a painter.
    [​IMG]

Cheers, everyone :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 3
  20. Looks absolutely fantastic man they have grown UP.
    Also see your space is really filling up ey

• Like Like x 1