Second Grow, but first soil and garage grow

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by jgetz420, Jun 7, 2015.

1. #1 jgetz420, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2015
    Whats up, I'm moving into a townhouse at the end of this month and am planning on doing a grow. 

It's a garage at the bottom of the townhouse (9-10ft x 14-18 ft)

I haven't gotten an exact measurement but it's pretty good size.

This is what I plan on doing.. please any links or constructive criticism is appreciated.

I have a few questions.. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED! I know what most of the basics are for the grow, just don't know the right amount of each with what I want to have at harvest.

This is what I plan on doing.. please any links or constructive criticism is appreciated.

Plan on doing:

- big tent .. looking at the  9x9x9 gorilla tent or a tent for veg (4x4) and one for flower (4x4)
     - 3x 1000w HPS lights (4 plants under each light)
     - SOIL (don't know what mixture yet..)
     - 10 or 20 gal pots (not sure)
     - not sure how many fans ill need (exhaust & inlet), size of charcoal carbon air filter,

I read somewhere that 3750 BTU's per 1000w light so I assume I need an air conditioner that is around 12k BTU's?

That's all the questions I'll ask for now.. THANK YOU SO MUCH

2. If you're gonna use 1000W lights, then you'll be growin trees, not bushes... in that case, I would almost recommend having a veg tent and a flower tent so you can have a perpetual grow. (Maybe think about 5'x5' tents instead of 4'x4')  

a 440cfm exhaust fan would be good per tent as long as you have an ac to really regulate temperatures coming in. Maybe also look into a dehum if you don't mind the cost. I mean, we play god with our grow environments, so the more "all out" you can go in perfect regulation, the more consistent results you'll get. 

For a carbon filter, just make sure it's rated with a high enough cfm for your exhaust fans. 

have a 10"-12" oscillating fan inside your tents to keep a nice breeze in them.

You shouldn't need intake fans as long as you're in a 4'x4' or 5'x5' tent and have two of the lower intake holes open. Some tents just have holes for ducting, some have screens with velcro covers you can remove. (I'm in a 4'x4' apollo tent, it has the screens, but I use the duct holes and about an 8 inch long piece of solid ductwork with an elbow to prevent light pollution, and put pantyhose over the end to act as a screen) 

Also, try to route your exhaust either under your place, or into the living area, we don't want to put a lot of hot air outside like that from a little location. 

I would say 20 gallon pots, You'll be getting nice size trees and want plenty of room. 

I've grown in Fox Farm Ocean Forest before with great luck... but for as much as you'll need, it can be pricey.  There are some good custom soil mixes on GC if you run a search for them.

I'm in coco coir/perlite (50/50) and love it. It's soil-less, acts like hydroponic. I use a rendition of H3ads formula which was modified by Ironhead, it works great, and it's super easy. Here's a link to his ways.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/coco-coir/1371748-ironheads-method-success.html?p=21695999

Anyways, good luck man, any other questions you have, go right ahead and ask. Make sure to keep a grow journal here too once you get going, collective knowledge is how we all learn!