Second Grow: 4x4 Tent, 600W HPS/MH, Organic Scrog, Larry OG Kush, Afghan Kush.

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by xBuds Bunnyx, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Introduction
    Man does it feel good to be back! It's been awhile, but I am glad to be back. As a semi-introduction I have grown before I did a DIY grow cabinet. I had 3 90W lighthouse hydro LED's and I used Miracle Gro and Viogro. Neither of which were to my pleasing. I had 2 separate runs in the cabinet both one plant each. I ended up yielding around 15 grams of serious dank. I will always be happy with my yield as it is always intended for my lungs. Call me a greedy bastard but if I'm raising em' im smokin em' haha! :bongin: Hopefully this run is better than my last I am hoping for the best and I hope you follow along.

Equipment
    Lighthouse Hydro 4'x4'x7' Grow Tent\t
    Grow Light Kit 600w HPS / MH 6" Air Cooled Reflector 26" X 29"\t\t
    6 Inch Inline Fan & 6 Inch 300mm Carbon Filter
    TurboKlone T24 Cloning System With Humidity Dome
    4" Cyclone Inline Fan
    2 x 6" Grow Fans
    3 x 90W Leds

Medium
    I am going with Subcool's Super Soil mix using a 2:1 ratio of Fox Farms Ocean Forest and Fox Farm Light Warrior Mix. I will post the actual brands of amendments when the time comes. I have them already its just a real pain in the butt to post all the pictures. :smoking:

Techniques and Strategy
    For starters I am going to be mothering a Larry OG Kush and an Afghan Kush plant in order to take clones. I am going to be taking 3 clones from each meaning I will be flowering 6 plants total in 5 gallon buckets. Do you think that this would be over kill? My goal is to top the plants twice and SCROG them with minor low stress training. This will be my first attempt at organic growing and SCROG.

I know you all really didn't want to wait from seed to something meaningful so I got a head start. Please give me your thoughts!

Attached Files:

2. #2 xBuds Bunnyx, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013
    I started them in Fox Farms Ocean Forest with a little bit of perlite mixed in. I transplanted as well to some bigger pots. Few more days and I am going to start taking clones, I am very excited as I have never done it before. I know @jaksterjammin would be mad at me because I didn't go with a DIY cloner but I wanted to ensure that it was perfect my first run. They weren't looking so healthy due too heat stress as temperatures got into the 90's the past few days. All of that has been sorted out for now and I have an AC on order. Hopefully I have all the kinks worked out but only time will tell! Without further ado here are the pictures after transplant. They look much more healthy on the second day after the transplant! :bongin:

Attached Files:

3. Nice! Full sized grow--I'm jealous. Sub'd.

I don't think 6 flowering plants is an overkill. Not for 4x4x7. 600 watts flowering 6 plants maybe an overkill for one person, but that all depends on the amount you like to smoke and how often you harvest.

Will you be keeping the mothers around throughout the grow? If so, what's the veg spot going to be like? I figure you'll use the LEDs for that?

4. Hey Buds! Glad to see ya back at it! I'm subbed!

5. Subbed......... :wave:

6. Thanks for stopping back in @cRACKmONKEY421 nice to hear from you again. Hope all is well!

Yeah, I'll keep them vegging under two 90w UFOs or might use a mixture of 1 led then CFL's? Not sure just yet. It all depends if I want to have two UFO's in the flowering tent for that little extra push.

Your right it's a tall order but its my hopes to get a good amount to sit on so I don't have to deal with the stresses of growing. I'd rathe just avoid dealing with dealers in general and I'm not in it for a profit I'm really just looking to safely have good quality marijuana. Also I'd like to know its organic.

Stay medicated my friend. :bongin:

7. Thanks man, nice to hear from you again. Hope all is well my friend.

Thank heavens my knowledge base is here! Soil or hydro it doesn't make a difference you know your stuff man! Mad respect.

8. So far everything has been realitivly smooth since I started. As I said I had minor problems with heat stress and poor watering but I got it all worked out. The plants are looking healthy asside from there bottom leave set. The new growth shoots are healthy and none of the other leaves have any visable deficiencies.

When would it be most optimal for me to begin taking clones from the two mothering plants? I am thinking at least anoher week maybe two. It is my goal to have some clones in dirt by May 1st. Any advise would be extremly helpful.

9. With my DIY bubble cloner, I like to take the cuttings when they're pretty small and they do well like that. If you're waiting for 3 of each and you want them all about the same size, then just wait until you can pull at least 3 from each. I would probably pull a few extra since you have the room. They just have to be big enough to stick into the reservoir with a couple sliced nodes on the bottom and some green on the top. A lot of people who just clone with dirt prefer taking cuttings that have bigger or woody stems, but I don't think that's necessary for what you got. For me, both types of cuttings (woody or soft-tip) root just fine, but the soft stem cuttings seem to grow into a happier plant.

10. I think I'll wait until I can take all 6 clones so they will grow at the same relative speed. The biggest reason for keeping them grouped well more relies on the SCROG.

I've hear others say that the soft stems work better than the more dense stems. Ill defiantly try to keep them on the smaller end to encourage growth. Thank you very much for your help @cRACKmONKEY421.

11. Subbed up fosho..

12. U really love kush bra , TGOD

13. #13 cRACKm0NKEY, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2013
    Both have Kush in the name, but they're not very genetically related as it would seem, so they're probably quite a bit different.

Afghan Kush actually comes from the Hindu Kush mountain range, so it is about as much of a true Kush as it gets. It's been around for longer, and so it tastes more like the weed you could get 20 years ago.

Larry OG Kush is not a true kush, and ironically (if you take OG to mean original gangster) any OG Kush strains are not true kush. Not that they aren't truly awesome. OG Kush strains are deep hybrids with a lot more sativa traits. They're in the same family as Chemdawg and Sour D.

14. Thanks for stopping in! Take notes from @cRACKmONKEY421 he's absolutely right. The names are very confusing as a Kush is Indica dominate and OG Kush is a hybrid with more sativa like quailitys. My genetics on this variation of OG Kush is a Larry Clone x Sanfernado Valley Og Kush Clone. It's a very even high you get about as body high as you do head high. Which is nice because you can still function. With the Afghan being a true Kush it's a couch lock for sure.

Preach man preach. :bongin:

I'm glad to see someone knows what OG Kush truly is and I'm even happier to know that you know other linages that are close in comparison. Just can't beat that Sour D smell though! And if only if only the original Chemdog still existed. Moment of silence..

15. xbuds nice clean looking set-up. plants look great so far subd. i do think 6 plants in 4x4 tent, in a scrog, in five gallon buckets, is overkill!!! you could prob acheive same results w/3-4 plants and save yourself the headaches of an overcrowded tent. in a scrog more is not always better. jmo but im definitely along for the ride, rock on bro!!!!

16. So what about master kush? I've always wanted to try it

17. #17 cRACKm0NKEY, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2013
    I think master kush is hindu kush x skunk
    Most consider it either a hybrid or an indica, so it's probably slightly more on the indica side.

Hindu Kush = a true pure kush from the Hindu Kush mountain range
    Skunk = generally a pure African sativa

The weed we have mostly all originated as sativa from Africa, or indica from Asia. Master Kush is one of the first popular hybrids. It's likely a direct result of the hippie trail in the 60s and 70s. Most of the newer strains are many many generations more away from an absolutely pure indica or pure sativa. So, Master Kush is more of a true Kush hybrid. Probably a bit more earthy and less piney than an OG Kush type strain.

• Like Like x 1
  18. #18 xBuds Bunnyx, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2013
    That's exactly why I asked! I felt like 4 plants under a scrog would have close to the same yield as 6 under a scrog for the space permitted. The only difference is it is going to be much easier to handle 4 plants as opposed to 6! Thanks for your advice @bgsixxxniner Rep+

I have no idea to be honest. I am familiar with the strain but not the genetics. So @cRACKmONKEY421 is more informative on this issue.

Do you know what the ratio is on sativa to indica? It seems your leaning more towards indica on your strain. I would have to agree with the smell though just based on what I know about OG Kush it is certainly a piney smell. Thanks so much for the information!

19. #19 xBuds Bunnyx, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2013
    Update time!!

Day 28 from sprout: Taking clones today!

So this is my first time taking clones so I am rather excited to see how it turns out. The process I used was cutting the clones from the plant removing the lower foliage on the clone. Then I cut the bottom at a 45 degree angle dipped it in the cloning gel then placed them in the collars. The top two clones are Larry OG Kush and the bottom 3 are Afghan Kush. I chose to take three on the Afghan because I am doubtful the first one will survive but I really don't know. None of them may survive so it's all in gods hands now!

As for the mothers they are looking pretty good little red stem on the Afghan Kush and the lower foliage on the Larry OG is fading a little bit but as I said earlier that is due to the heat stress in it's infancy. I am still battling heat at the moment until the AC come in. It ranges from 72-88 so it's not terrible but I would like to get it perfect. It only stays around 88 when the lights are off and only for the first hour or so while there on. The plants are on an 18/6 schedule and they have constant circulation of fresh air and a depoist of hot air. Please give me your thoughts!

Attached Files:

20. No problem!
    The OG strains have developed so far removed from pure indicas and pure sativas that it would be hard for me to put a number on them. Seems like you almost need a percentage for how it grows and possibly a different percentage for how the high is. My Tahoe OG seemed to grow like a sativa mostly, but I try and get indicas mostly, so maybe I'm just used to a shorter plant?? Some websites say growth is indica dominant. Based on all those things, if I had to guess it would be right around 50/50 indica/sativa for growth. For me, the high seems to be slightly more indica dominant. I'd say the high is like 60/40 indica/sativa. So that brings my grand guesstimate to 55/45 indica/sativa. Purely speculation based on growing, smoking, and reading though.