Second coco attempt, need advice

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Deleted member 1053051, Sep 20, 2018.

1. I popped some beans this weekend and moved them to coco after the second set of leaves grew to decently sized. The transplant was Tuesday morning, 2 days ago, and I'm already seeing problems.

Here's what I did

Using root farm coco coir 70/30 with perlite

I put a large amount of the coco into a 5 gallon bucket and rinsed it twice with 1/4 strength solution. I'm using "He@d's" Lucas recipe from icmag. Then I let it sit for about 6 hours in said solution before transplanting.

I'm now seeing yellowing leaves, brown along leaf edges, and what appears to be a necrotic spot on one leaf.

I checked ppm of the runoff just now and it's at 600ppm (I don't have an ec meter but that's pretty high according to my notes from my last grow)

What should I do? Flush a few times to get the ppm down? I'm measuring about 200ppm going in. I also have a bunch of plain perlite, I'm considering transplanting to that and just do classic hempy buckets. Hmm.

2. You need to flush definitely that's way too high I'm running 5 gallon myself hempy.

3. Do you have any pictures that helps

4. Nah my camera is fubar, no pics at the moment.

5. So last night I flushed with the quarter strength nute solution until runoff ppm and pH measured equal to the input solution. They perked up nicely and one has observable growth. I'll just keep an eye on it, hopefully it was just a matter of remaining salts in the coco. Next time i'll wash it better before use.

On the plus side, these two are growing faster than any mj I've tried growing before.

6. What size pot are you in? Coco works best in smaller pots. I’ve never been over 5 gallons and most grows finish in one or three gallon pots

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. I have a very small space. I believe these are 2 liter, maybe 1.5 I don't remember. Paint mix buckets.

8. You can grow huge plants in small pots of coco. The key is in the multifeeds. If you have the time to feed 2-3 times a day, you can rootbound your plants for quicker growth.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Yeah from around the time of stretch to harvest I'll be feeding twice a day

• Like Like x 1
  10. Well today they looked horrible. Yellowing, curling leaves and large brown spots on some leaves. I didn't test anything, I just went ahead and transplanted into classic hempy buckets, 2.5 liters. I know coco works but it is kicking my ass.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Get some distilled water, rinse the absolute shit out of it, place rinsed coco in smaller pots(like solo cup size) mix in half perlite, rinse with more distilled water, grow your plant in the hempy buckets, take some clones from the hempy. pH some water to 6.0 and pull out the dusty coco pots and rinse with 6.0 water. I guess check your runoff since you had problems to begin with, and clone with coco. That's how I started and that way you don't waste a seed ;)

12. I'm running autoflowere though. I may return to coco as it is far easier for me to get than unfertilized perlite but I gotta figure out how to keep it from frying plants. I guess I'm not rinsing it as well as I thought. Next time i'll measure ec of the rinse water. And get a better ec meter

• Like Like x 2
  13. This is my first attempt at autoflowers. They are already flowering! Both girls. Growing fast too.