Seaweed?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by SoIKnit, Dec 31, 2008.

1. So I ordered my seeds from The Attitude yesterday. This will be my second attempt at growing. I am following the Soma book pretty closely, as I had good results with it the last time I grew, 5 years ago.

My question is this. I have access to all the free, fresh seaweed I could ever want. I know it is full of minerals and vitamins. Can I use it in any way, shape, or form for my garden? Should I just throw it on my compost pile, and use it after it is composted? It seems like too good of a deal to pass up, I would have sold my right leg to get this much (any, really) fresh seaweed when I lived in Nebraska and was growing.

I can't advise you on my grow set-up, or size, because I am still getting the kinks worked out on paper. I haven't even built anything yet. I know I will probably have 10 plants to start with, some will become mothers so I can take cuttings for clones. It will be a small operation, just enough for me to have an abundant supply for my persoal smoking sessions, and some to share, too.

Thanks for the help.

2. well, fresh seaweed is just loaded with salt from the ocean so you'd have to remove that before applying the seaweed. Even composting it, I'd imagine most of the salt would still be in the compost. If you can get it clean, it should be great compost for your plants.

3. And if you want to kill your plants, give them salt.

4. you gotta soak the seaweed in in water then lay it out and spray with a hose. Then let it start drying and spray it again. then wait for it to dry and put it in the compost pile:)