Seattle residents, city attorney push to outlaw public pot smoking

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by xdog, Jul 28, 2013.

1. #1 xdog, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
    Seattle residents, city attorney push to outlaw public pot smoking

Published July 28, 2013
    FoxNews.com
    Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/28/seattle-residents-city-attorney-push-to-outlaw-public-pot-smoking/#ixzz2aNQhh2CE

Less than a year after Washington state residents voted to decriminalize possession of up to one ounce of marijuana, some residents of the state's largest city want its public use outlawed in their town. 

Q13Fox.com reports that despite the fact that the new state law prohibits toking in public, pot smokers have been puffing away all over Seattle, and it's making life difficult for a lot of non-users. 

"It's definitely out of control," said bus driver Kalu Davis, who told Q13Fox.com that he sees people smoking pot every day at bus shelters. 

"They blow it right into my face, and, because of that, I get light-headed. At that point I then have to stop the bus. I can't continue any further because I'm inebriated from the secondhand smoke."

Seattle City Attorney Peter Holmes helped sponsor the decriminalization law last year. Now, he's pushing a city ordinance that would make it illegal to light up outdoors, under penalty of a $103 fine. 

"It's important that, while we celebrate the incredible shift that Washington voters put into law last November, we stay sober-minded about this," said Holmes, who added "This is about regulating marijuana, it's not about turning this into the Wild, Wild West,"

2. its like Portugal. Drugs everywhere, people smoking drugs in the streets. 

so they found one [1] bus driver that gets high when people blow pot smoke in his face...(he would have to make the choice to inhale that smoke...but hey, why point out the obvious)...sooo..FOX is really stretching for some anti-pot crap to put on the airwaves..

4. Lmao "Inebriated"

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. "They blow it right into my face, and, because of that, I get light-headed. At that point I then have to stop the bus. I can't continue any further because I'm inebriated from the secondhand smoke."

To bad that's a scientific impossibility.

6. Is this THE Fox News or some radio station in Seatlle called "The Fox"?

Either way if this guy thinks he's stoned, he's wrong. But it's nice that he stops the bus I guess.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. #7 floating_by, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2013
    How is "Kalu Davis" passing his randoms as a bus driver if he's getting high off 2nd hand smoke every day?

Dear Wall St Media: you aren't as smart as you think you are. This is all so easy to pick apart.
    Cannabis grows the hippocampus. You are no match for our brain power. LOL!

Oh, what a SURPRISE.... lol!

8. $103 fine? Such a weird number. And if people can smoke cigarettes outside, they should be able to smoke weed outside.

9. These "legal states" laws are actually de-crim laws, and de-criminalization gives the Government power to put people over legal and financial barrels at their whim, as we see here. They can make money on either side of these laws all day long.

10. Honestly, people here in Washington need to act more responsibly. I'm sure that guy is exaggerating a fair bit, but just because it was legalized doesn't mean people can run around disturbing others just because they feel they can. Unfortunately, I smoke cigarettes, but when I do in public, I walk away from people out of courtesy and I don't litter. Not comparing cannabis to tobacco either. Just saying that I show common courtesy to others because if I personally chose to not partake in either, I'd want others' to respect my personal space and what I come in contact with. You may not get stoned off one small cloud of second hand smoke, but a person still shouldn't be obligated to hold their breath or evade a public area because of this.

If you want to consume in public (which I don't mind), at least be respectful, please. Move away from any crowded areas (no need to hide or anything), enjoy your smoke and don't litter/be clean about it. Pretty sure that most officers around this area won't give a shit unless you're causing a scene or disturbing others. Actually, here in Lewis County, I know for a fact that officers locally to me wouldn't say anything, but that might be because I'm friends with a lot of them.

11. Seems fair. Obviously the bus driver is kind of overexgarating. I think it would be a decent law. You can't drink alchoul publicly I think Mary Jane should be the same. There should be marijuana bars or some bars that allow it but public smoking should be a fine and the fine 100 bucks ain't bad and you know it's not going to be enforced hardcore so no worries smoking in public to much

12. Seattle is pretty bad, city smells like a skunk :). But seriously, it won't be overly enforced, mostly warnings, tickets to repeat offenders. Similar to the open container law as long as your being discreet about it (like not in a bus stop in downtown Seattle or rolling down the street with a bong) then you'll be fine.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. If you drive a bus for a living and don't smoke weed in the first place then wtf are you doing with your life anyways

14. Why? People can smoke them selfs to death in public with tabacco.. Outlaw all drug use in public or leave pot alone

15. Old thread but I'm from Seattle and I see more people shooting up heroin on the streets than weed smokers....I've never actually seen somebody smoking weed but I smell it all the time

16. Honestly when it comes to smoking in public tokers should have to follow the same kind of etiquette as people who smoke cigs. There really isn't an excuse not too. 

17. Where are people who live in an apartment or live out of state going to smoke weed? 

People that smoke ciggs usually just do it outside, in the open. I think that's what people are complaining about but with marijuana smoke.

I'd much rather have a person blowing marijuana smoke in the air next to me than cancerous tobacco smoke...

Not everyone likes smoke blown in their face, its common courtesy.....

20. #20 Tree Burner, Aug 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013

That was one incident, that's also assuming the guy isn't full of shit.