Season?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by RedSorcerer, Dec 17, 2008.

1. When's the best time to start growing outdoor from seed?
    What about from clone? I'm just curious as to the difference.

In addition, what adverse effects does starting seedlings at a non-orthodox time of the year settle?

2. When the last frosts are done (mid March here but I start end of April to plant). I never used clones sorry. Growing in winter is no good as it's too cold and the light isn't right. It works in Florida and real hot states though.

3. plants started from seed need a month or more before they are mature enough to develop buds...plants rooted from cuttings (clones) are as mature as the mother they came from so they could be forced to flower immediately after rooting. Clones are my method of choice.

If the plants don't die from the cold during winter (off season for most) the growth will be retarded due to the short days. I had some clones I put out last January that started flowering almost immediately...then they revegetated during the summer to flower again this fall...really waste of time and resources imo.

I get around the low winter light by vegetating indoors and then setting my plants outside during the off season to flower...works pretty good for me.

If you're planning to grow outdoors wait until spring to plant. If you're able you can get a jump on the season by starting your seeds indoors under lights or in a cold frame outside...the latter would probably work better because you won't be changing up the plant's light cycle.

4. It depends on your location really. If you get any snow or frost, it would be best to wait until spring (March). Here in Fl, the plants grow all year but the main difference between summer and winter is they stay much shorter during the winter. You can expect the same if you start them during the cold season.

5. You get alot more people growing from from clones in CA mainly because of the availability. They are great because sex is already establised, it is a proven plant field tested if you will, and as oldskool said you can flower them imediately after rooting as they are cuttings from a mature plant. The down side is if the chosen mother had any shortcomings such as resistance to pests, or disease they will be reflected exactly so in the clones. Some people will argue that clones do not have the vigor that a seedling will. I find that a well rooted cared for clone of an established proven plant is a great way to go if you available, but not necesary.

As for planting at strange times of year listen to Oldskool he has a very similiar climate to yours. You need to get a few crops under your belt to do what he does though.