Sealing Light Leaks

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by ismellchicken, Feb 27, 2011.

1. i bought a plastic cabinet from walmart for my grow. it had a black interior, so i painted it flat white. to put it together you just slide and snap everything together. there are small light leaks where the walls meet, so i need to seal them. i have never used any kind of caulking or anything before, so i was wondering if anyone could tell me what to buy. something flexible that won't crack, kinda rubbery. again, the cab is all plastic, covered with a plastic primer and then flat white spray paint. i'm just telling you that because i don't know if there is specific types of caulking for different surfaces. i'll be going to home depot or walmart, so if anyone could give me a liittle guidance as to what i should look for.:confused:

Thanks

2. Plain old caulk should do it...

3. i used white caulk and it did not seal one of my cabinets... at all... I know there are several different types of caulk but you would need something to seal the hole before you caulk around it to hold it in

maybe weather stripping...

not trying to step on any toes, i just wanted the OP to be prepared for possible problems

4. i was looking on home depot's site, and they have calking and sealants. there's also latex based sealants and silicone based sealants.,, any suggestions? and there is no holes in the cabinet, just like a millimetre or less of space where the cabinet parts come together.

5. [​IMG]

sorry bout the pic size... here is my old cfl cab.. now it doubles as extra storage and a good place for rooting clones and popping beans.... other than that, mostly garbage... nothing but light leaks...

i had the same MM cracks... even with tape and caulk nothing but light leaks..

good luck

6. haha nice. i figured out how to get rid of the leaks, where all the pieces meet, but now my issue is the doors. i dunno if i should just get some of the black and white poly and velcrow it to the inside of the door frame and just roll it up when i'm playin with the plants or somethin. i think thats my only option

7. nice av

Yeah velcro is pretty money. Black and white poly does block light, you want to be able to affix it pretty well to the cabinet itself (U-Glu is pretty good stuff, depending on how hot it gets), because every time you open and close that flap, you're pulling on the poly, and after awhile sht breaks.

Velcro, itself, I've found doesn't leak all that much light through, the 1/2" stuff that is.

8. so i didnt really think caulk would let light through such small crack but ok but there is this stuff for sealing roof leaks u can find it at any home depot its black and comes in a tube like caulk that should block out the light

9. its called roof tar... I always used a very derogatory word to explain it... but Henry's tar is what your look for sealing roofs

10. That stuff is petroleum based you don't want to use it, it will give off gases as it cures that could make your plants sick or kill them. Go with white silicone it won't dry out and crack and will work much better.