Sea of green method? Need some answers.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by axle0000, Dec 17, 2010.

1. So i've researched a lot of the 'sea of green' method.. Found some videos and some threads where people explained it.. But I still have a few questions..
    So you just take clones from a mother, then as soon as they root you veg for a week then go into flower? Where do you cut clones from a mother so it can rejuvenate more? I've seen some videos of people trimming the entire bottom part of the plant and growing just the top since it has the biggest bud. Whats the point of that? Does the top grow bigger without the bottom branches? Wouldnt you still get a huge bud on top and a bunch of tiny buds on bottom if you just left it?

2. Well to answer the last Q first: If you trim the bottom branches and leaves the plant will in theory consentrate on producing buds only at the top. So in effect you'll get more bud up top instead of most up top and some small popcorn buds at the bottom. We don't want those popcorn buds, but rather have one, or more, massive bud(s).

"So you just take clones from a mother, then as soon as they root you veg for a week then go into flower?"

Yes, though veg time will depend on strain.

"Where do you cut clones from a mother so it can rejuvenate more?"

The mother will rejuvenate regardless of where you take the clones from. As long as there are a few healthy leaves on the mother she'll be able to keep growing and produce more shoots and branches.

The cuttings will root quicker if taken from the bottom of the mother. The closer to the ground, the more rooting-hormone is in the cutting, thus quicker rooting.

Hope this answers your Qs.

3. Yep, did a few thanks.. But..
    Whats the benefit of the "sea of green" method? just get more buds by volume? It seems like only vegging a weak the plant wouldnt get more then 8 inches at most.. How much could an 8 inch plant with only 2 nodes possibly yeild? Do you still have to flower for 8 weeks? (2 week light change, 6 week flower). If so, then it would seem like waiting an additional 3 weeks during veg to get more mass would make more sense; but then we're not growing sea of green huh? lol

4. The point is to have more, smaller plants instead of fewer, larger plants. The larger plants will have to veg for longer and obviously you can get more bud over a certain timeperiod with the SOG method.

It will still have the same flowering time, like 8 weeks, but you save time in veg. How tall a plant is going to be is determined by genetics mostly, in addition to veg time. A indica dominant plant might not even double in size, but a sativa may stretch over 3 times its original size. I have a sativa which is impossible to keep under 1.60m no matter how short the veg period is. Another exaple is one of my indicas which will grow as you described if vegged for only a week. One of those would yeild around an ounce. Multiply by 10 or something and you'll have a decent harvest. I could get the same with 4 plants of the same strain, but those would have to veg for 2 months!