Scrogging in a 4x4 with one plant...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ShadowMonkey, Nov 29, 2016.

1. I know different strains grow in different ways at different times. This is my experiment. I have a great Scrog frame using PVC pipe and string with adjustable legs attached. It will fit perfectly with a little room to spare in a 4x4 tent. I am wanting to grow one big plant. On my very first grow I tried to scrog and failed because I didn't start from the beginning the right way. This time I plan to veg the maximum amount of time with Bubblicious or Northern Lights and spread that baby out far and wide with the SCROG. I see no reason to crowd and grow a bunch of plants, even in the larger tent area, when you can just train one plant go grow everything on horizontal plane and get a good crop out of one plant. Anything thoughts or tips or concerns?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Make sure you have a large enough pot to accommodate the root zone. Otherwise, trying to grow a single plant for a scrog that size will have nutrient issues. Note: I am not speaking from experience, just from lots and lots of reading and watching videos.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  3. I don't know the bubblicious but would think NL would make an amazing scrog plant

4. Thanks for the info fellas. Grojak...I have a bit of a problem. I started two plants an NL and Bubble. I had them labeled. But one of my five children..the fuzzy faced kind with claws, knocked my papers on the floor. So now I can't tell which is which. I wish I could take your advice and go with the NL, but I've got a 50/50 chance since my darn labels got mixed up. Evermystique1...thanks for you response. Will a five gallon do the job?

5. If you are trying to fill out a 4x4 with a single plant, you may want to consider going with a 7 or 10 gallon, but a 5 might work. I remember reading somewhere how to figure out what size, but I've done so much reading in the last few months, I'd be very hard-pressed to remember where. If you have the time, hit up YouTube and search for scrog. You'll find a TON of videos, and one of them might have that information available to help you choose the right size. Wish I could be more help. I'm still on my first grow, and I have 4 plants in a 4x4. I definitely could have reduced that to 2 easily, had I gone with a longer veg time. I will be playing with a lot of those things as each grow progresses.

6. Thanks EverMystique--I am in the same boat you are. Just learning and having to do a lot of experimenting. I'm trying to be patient and make it fun, but I have a little anxiety about learning how to do this to get some consistent grows. Just takes some time, experience, and some patience I guess. I know you can grow a lot of plants in a 4x4, but I'm going to experiment with growing fewer and trying to train them to see where that takes me. I am very curious what kind of yield can be grown with one big scrog plant.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bummer and rubbing the stem to me is a waste of time, I don't think you can tell anything by that, so now you have an issue. Good news I've never ran either plant but NL is supposed to be a squatty bushy kinda plant and so you may be able to make a very educated guess early on. Smell will give it away once it's in flower but you need to know before that obviously.

So about your problem with the papers I don't get it did you have like a piece of paper infront of each seed telling you what it was? Heres my advice next time you start seeds don't label them at all until their in cups BUT make a diagram on a piece of paper and keep it in a safe spot, lets say you're starting 5 seeds:

X- NL X- NL
    X-Bub X-Bub X-bub

their staggered and the row of 3 is all bub and row of 2 NL. As long as you don't move them you'll know what ya got. I used X to represent the seed but you really don't need to use X just make sure you write your strain names so they match the order you have physically in front of you.

8. Yes I did just have a paper in front of each. I could have labeled them better for sure. Not sure what rubbing the stem means. I'm not growing a lot of plants in the same area so if I label better next time will not be issue. Squaty bushy would be a perfect match for a Scrog. Since I've never grown either NL or Bubble I'm again just learning. Who knows...maybe the bubble will be OK with scrog too. What I am really trying to do here is grow one big plant in a 4x4 area trying to get descent yield. If it turns out to be not so great with first grow will try two plants next
    time and also use SCROG again to increase area to fill up 4x4. Labeling is minor problem. Filling up a 4X4 tent with a good horizontal growth of good amount of buds using SCROG is the big issue here.

9. It's definitely possible! I'm growing 2 plants in a 4.5×4 SCROG. I could have easily done only one. Mine are in 5 gallon buckets, but if I was going to do one plant I'd probably have gotten a 10. 2 plants really just speeds up the process filling the screen, less veg time. I have no idea what my seeds are, but I think any strain can do this without much stress. Pushing your plant back under a string couldn't be as harmful as cutting it or topping it. I LST without topping and I have just as many bud site as a topped plant. Seen grows where one plant scrogged yielded over a pound. I think you'll do fine man, don't stress to much cause your plant wont, they bounce back fast and love you for it.

10. Hey thanks Diesel. Several good points there. I may just go for two based on your advice instead of one. After thinking thru a lot of variables I've moved down to just a handful and this site and they guys and gals on it have been nothing but helpful. Really like this site. Over a pound? Wow. That is very cool. Appreciate your time and advice.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I have done a few single plant 4' ScrOGs. Usually get about a pound from a 600w HPS. You want about 70 litres of soil (20 US gallons). You may get away with say 15 US gallons, but I certainly wouldn't go less than that

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks Gold. Sounds like you've been there done that...just the help I need. So in what combination were your plants? I was thinking two ScrOGs each in a five gallon. Actually, I was going to try one big ScrOG but was advised veg will end sooner and flower will start faster with two...which made sense. Will definitely have to do some venting in my new tent with 600 HPS. I have a Can Max Fan Mixed Flow Inline Fan, 6-Inch 334 Cubic Feet Per Minute for the venting fan. I can either pull air from the room or from outside. Can't tell you how much I appreciate how helpful you all have been. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hey Gold. Two options on the HPS. Air cooled tube hood or the gull wing. I got the gull in the mail and was thinking about sending it back and getting the air cooled tube hood. Hell I don't know what I'm doing. I thought the tube would make it easier to set up venting. Any advice here? I don't know which one to go with.

14. 1480674561925.jpg 1480674638454.jpg . Sorry to post pics in ur thread but this is 1 plant nylon scrog 20 Lt pot coco soil picture in normal light is about 2 wks into flower

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. Not a problem at all drum...post away!! Looks pretty good. Seems like you have a good Scrog going there. Mine is set up just a little different as I used PVC pipe with string but really who cares as long as you've got something for to make the plant horizontal. Did you top and train four way? Looks like you have a good healthy grow going there. I'm always interested to hear about soil and nutes. Keep up the good work.

16. So the scrog is just tied to the 4 corners no no topping at all I swear by LST the way I did it was let it grow maybe 2 ft from the pot then installed scrog which was maybe a week before that photo with the light on was taken that way its still LST but I find its a bigger shock to the plant I turned it over maybe 2 weeks later

17. And the nutes is easy in soil I find anyway the only thing I find is soil will hold a lot of the salts so flushing is a must

18. I use plantastic flora nova rock juice and monsta bud during flower and just plantastic a+b in grow

19. Drummond I think I would consider topping. Maybe you can get away with not doing this but it seems to me if you top when you get four levels of leaves you make a more horizontal plant which really flows right into the Scrog concept. If you don't, then you are going to have to deal with the top sprout and the side sprouts will suffer. Just makes sense to me but what the hell do I know. I'm a newby experimenter. Soon I will be able to post better info based on experience but I'm still in the learning phase.

20. I'm using pure blend pro bloom.