SCROG - When to start? -- First time Grower

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by HazePhase, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Hello Everyone,

I will start off telling you about my situation.

Started: Solo Cups
    week 3: 2 gallons pots
    week 6: 15 gallon smart pots final home

I have SCROGCO screens 2x2 - going to be having 4 plants in their 15 gallon smart pot and their own individual screen.

Currently at week 4.
    I was thinking I would be okay to grow for another 2-3 weeks roughly in veg in the 2 gallons and then move them into the 15 gallons and put the SCROGs on and start training them through.

My Question:
    - is that going to be too late to start doing that at this point - I was told it should be fine and I have attached a picture of my best plant so far.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you!

2. wheres the pic?

You want to time your scrog training so that the net is filled out by the end of the stretch in early flowering. The stretch can be quite unpredictable and is also strain dependent but i would say to expect your plant to double and maybe triple in size during this phase

3. IMG_0323.JPG

Sorry about that I thought I had uploaded it.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

4. #4 killset, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    As soon as mine are to the height of the net I start training them horizontally. I don't up pot unless you include the solo cup. I go solo right into their final container. Up potting fabric containers is kind of pointless. Since fabric pots air prune you will never get that explosion of growth some people claim to get from slightly root binding a plant and then up potting a plant in a hard container.

I also don't flip until my net is full. I like my plants to stretch up out of the net to develop buds. Ever since I started doing that I get bigger buds and higher yeilds. Using the stretch to fill the net ends up with shorter smaller buds above it, an advantages with severe height restrictions. This is what my plant looks like at flip. 1 plant under a 2x4 screen, 15 gallon smarty

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nice thanks for advice.
    Sorry they went from solo cups to now 2 gallon plastic pots and then to final 15 gallon smart pots.
    But thanks for tips I'm learning every day!

So how do you think I should do this based on my situation?
    If you don't mind helping
    Thanks.

6. You really haven't said much about your situation to base anything on. All you've said so far is you got a 15 gallon pot and a 2x2 screen. That's not much to go on. What questions do you have?

Why 15 gallon pots? If you're growing with salt based bottled nutrients it's overkill for a 2x2 screen. Organic no tills like how I grow it's not. Even though I would probably downsize to a 10 gallon on just a 2x2

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sorry
    I do no till as well:

HazePhase's First Organic No-Till LED Grow Journal - 2017

https://forum.grasscity.com/index.p...anic-No-Till-LED-Grow-Journal---2017.1447341/

Hope that helps.

8. Nice....what sort of information are you after bro? I'm really bad at reading minds and not going to write a book in hopes I hit on the info you are after. Is there anything you're having difficulty with? Something that confuses you?

You'll have 2 plants under 2x2 screens right? How much room from soil to net? How much from net to light at its highest position?

(Pssst stop saying sorry, there's nothing to be sorry for. You're good)

9. Make sure all your plants are girls. I didn't know the difference and ended up with about a thousand seeds

10. Very valid point. Did you start with fem seeds or clones of females?

I also don't choose just any plants. Usually I grow a plant out first and see how it grows. Grow it's clones if it's something worth scrog. A stretchy lanky plant isn't my thing under a net. If it's a lanky plant I'll monster crop clones before Scrogging them....lol what am I talking about I'll monster crop anything.... especially for my Scrogs

11. Sorry - Canadian LOL :)
    noted.

I am going to have 4 plants in my 5x5 tent, each with their own 2x2 screen.
    I don't have the nets step up yet as I am going to be moving them in 2 weeks into the 15 gallons and that will have the screens.

I think i read 10-12 inches away from the plant but i could be totally wrong.

My questions would be if I wait till I move them in the 15 gallons will I still be able to do the SCROG as it will be well on it's way by that time i would assume

• Like Like x 1
  12. I dont know much about cropping or topping - brand new and reading a lot.
    Any advice?

Yes my seeds are DNA genetics Tangilope feminized :)
    I am going to be taking 2 of my 6 plants and putting them in a 2x4 tent for vegging while others flower and then I will take clones off them when the others are done flowerings :)