Scrog questions

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Merkidge69, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Hey man im going to do a scrog the next grow just read a guide one part im confused on. Do i weave the plant through the squares when it goes into flower or do i do it before? Basically do i grow it all horizontally through veg topping each time weaving the bud sites into the squares or do i do this and put the screen in when i switch to flower?

Didnt know when the screen needs to be added. I think you lst the plant topping and get it growing horizontally, then add the screen and switch to 12/12, weave the buds sites into each square repeat this till about 3 weeks then let her be?

Or do i top then lst the plant the weave it through while in veg? Do i just attatch the main stems to the screen then let the bud sites grow out then weave them into there own squres to grow up? Have read the grow weed easy guide just trying to clear up the parts im slightly confused on.
    Does scrog highly increase yield if done right?
    Growing NL x big bud and pretty lights.

Replies and help appreciated really want to master the scrog

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. I top at the 4th node and once those branches grow out I top one more time. I start to lst as soon as the branches are large enough to tie down and once the plant is about 8" high I put on the screen, this is usually 5 weeks. You don't weave the branches through the net - the branches grow underneath the net horizontally. When the branch grows about 3 inches above the net you pull it back through and move it to the next square - it's called tucking. Some people continue tucking until 50% to 70% of the net is filled before they switch to 12/12. I veg for 5 weeks and flip to 12/12 when I put the net on. You will definitely yield more by doing a scrog - I usually harvest about 8oz. per plant. That with only a 5 week veg.

5 weeks.JPG lollipop.JPG

3. Any idea how i can do it in dwc i need to change the buckets round

4. Looks nice bro, do i keep vegging it till squares full then switch to flower? So do i not actually tie the plant to the net? Just keep tucking it into the next square once it gets taller? Do i not weave them in and out the net?

5. Unless you put a lot of thought on how to change the water without moving the plant and scrog because you won't be able too

6. Im sure there are ways people do it in dwc.. water pump?

7. No you don't fill the squares in veg - that won't leave room for the stretch. Fill 1/2 the net then flip. You don't tie it to the net and you don't weave it in and out of the net - the branch grows under the net and you just move it to the next square when it grows up enough to move it. Push the top back under the net and move it to the next square.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. What about putting the container on one edge? Would that work? Instead of growing out 360 it would be 180.

9. #10 Icemud, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017

Here is a video I made a few years ago that shows how to scrog.

When I first started growing I watched a ton of different videos on how to scrog and none of them really taught me anything, so I made a video on how to scrog and tried to show all the details I wanted to know... anyhow I hope this helps...

Part 2.. I forgot a few things so I made a video a few weeks later after the 1st one... you can see how it works in the 2nd video

And to answer your questions...:

Do i weave the plant through the squares when it goes into flower or do i do it before?
    You don't weave the branches... as the plant grows through a square in your screen/net, then pull it down back through the hole, and stretch it out as far as it can. The scrog effect is caused when you move a branch from vertical to horizontal, so let the branch grow up through a square a few inches, and when it gets long enough, then re-position it... (see video)

Basically do i grow it all horizontally through veg topping each time weaving the bud sites into the squares or do i do this and put the screen in when i switch to flower?
    You don't have to have the screen right away early in veg as it can get in the way. I generally will start growing without the screen for the first few weeks, and will use LST or Topping to start getting the plant to branch out. LST I favor because it doesn't stunt the plant, but the drawback is its much more time consuming, as well as it doesn't create as even of a plant as topping, or fluxing.

I personally wouldn't recommend waiting that long to put the screen in, as the screen is what helps hold the plant in place and create a nice even canopy, so generally once the plants get to the point where they have bushed out from LST or Topping, and are now getting high enough to touch the screen, this is when I put the screen in...

Didnt know when the screen needs to be added. I think you lst the plant topping and get it growing horizontally, then add the screen and switch to 12/12, weave the buds sites into each square repeat this till about 3 weeks then let her be?
    I generally fill the screen about 75% or more with each square having a top or node in it before I flip to flowering. Now this is personal preference and also dependent on a number of things. When you flip to 12/12, the plants stretch, so depending on the strains you are growing, typically sativa dominant plants will stretch more than indica dom plants. So If you are growing indica's, and they are short by nature, then I would fill the screen 100% before flipping to 12/12 because they aren't going to stretch much. If you are growing sativa dominant cultivars, then they definitely are going to stretch, so its best to fill the screen about 75% leaving room for a little bit of tucking under (not weaving) until the flower sets form.

There really isn't a right or wrong way and also this depends on your vertical height... if your height is limited, then you definitely want to leave more room in the screen before flowering. IF height is not limited, then fill the screen up :)

Does scrog highly increase yield if done right?
    I personally have had my highest yields with a scrog, but I've also had regular grows that average higher than my scrogs average. I think yes, if done right a scrog can maximize your canopy for bud production, even out light penetration and produce larger yields than growing traditionally, but again its all a matter of opinion really. I don't scrog anymore because it became a hassle with my perpetual grows and light testings but eventually I will go back to scrogging once I get other projects out of the way.

10. Here is how it turns out...
    Minus the plant health issues... it was only my 3rd grow...

• Like Like x 1
  11. I find that scrog is best for my sativa leaning plants like mako haze and supreme cbd Durban. They have a much longer flowering period than my Indica dominant plants (13-16 weeks vs 9-10 weeks). My sativas love to stretch. With my indicas I can put 4 times the plants in the same place and just grow them normally and get more bud per sq ft than trying to scrog them.