SCROG Question?

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by icyways7, Oct 3, 2013.

1. What's are some easy make-shift ways to create a sog?

2. Ready for this? With a screen. And something to hold it up.

3. How easy can it get? You buy a screen and then chuck it on top of your plants. Propping it up on legs is worth doing if you don't mind it getting all complicated lol.

Have a look at some of my threads (link below) there's a few grows using ScrOG screens

4. Wait a minute, do you mean SOG or ScrOG? Title says ScrOG, but the question says SOG

5. and this is why I think the "Plant Training" section needs to moved away from "Advanced Growing"

this is some sort of newb question, OP doesn't even know what he is talking about( not a bad thing OP, its called being new to growing). something a simple read of the stickies in Plant Training would fix.

http://forum.grasscity.com/plant-training/48363-scrog-method.html

but its( plant training) been buried in the advanced section............

6. #6 joe 60, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2013
    imo only growers that have done a few crops should be trainning there plants (walk before you can run )

scrog are not for new growers

7. This. Those screens get way the f outta control if you don't know what you are doing...

8. For a New growers doing a scrog its difficult to tell when to water, can't flush the soil if you over feed the plants and don't how far you can push the plants without snaping the steams
    Checking for mold, pests are more difficult in scrog grow

Imo a few untrainned plants would be ideal for a new grower

9. I bought like 10 foot pvc pipe for 2$ at homedepot and some joints for it and mason wire and made one in about 20 minutes under 10$ its really easy

10. I started indoor SCROG my first grow with allot of reaserch and some learning i am pulling 14-15 z's every harvest it can be done by a noob just do your reaserch .My first SCROG i pulled 9 z's.

11. #11 degrassi2, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2014
    how big was the space of your first scrog?

I too think scrog can be done by noobs.

12. I'm currently mid way through veg on my first grow ever. I went dwc and have also built myself a screen. What many new growers don't get is that growing takes a ton of research. I spent the better part of three years reading and watching videos. Your diligence is evident in your product. If you wake up one morning and say to yourself, "I wanna grow weed!" And jump right in you're gonna have a bad time (french fry instead of pizza)Don't be lazy! Here is a quick glimpse of my net I made out of pvc and bailing wire. Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

13. Careful using bailing wire. I've never used it so I can't speak from experiences. But I've heard of others using something "sharp" and rigid like wire and it cutting into stems or buds growing around them and you have to cut them out and get little metal pieces everywhere. Sounds like a pain in the ass. Granted, if you're diligent and manage your grow daily, you shouldn't have any trouble. Just my two cents.

14. [quote name="OneDayJD" post="19301963" timestamp="1389194768"]Careful using bailing wire. I've never used it so I can't speak from experiences. But I've heard of others using something "sharp" and rigid like wire and it cutting into stems or buds growing around them and you have to cut them out and get little metal pieces everywhere. Sounds like a pain in the ass. Granted, if you're diligent and manage your grow daily, you shouldn't have any trouble. Just my two cents.[/quote] I have also heard that. I did my research and even though I don't know the exact gage wire it is I know it's thick enough to prevent all that. Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Grasscity Forum mobile app

15. Get some 2x4's and nails and weave a screen. Then feed your plant silica and watch it turn into fhe hulk and break your 2x4.

16. My SCROG area is a 4x4, it is made of plastic pvc pipe and eye srews and small white string, don't use wire it will cause problems. I use light hangers on my fpr my hangers and hang iy from the ceiling lower it and raise it as needed works great don't use 2x4's way easier to reach in under the pipe just my opionion good luck I have been consintly pulling  14-16 's and that is plenty for me.

17. View attachment 132945

i just use the 4x4's from broken down pallets from work. You can also use pvc tubing for pretty cheap. Then go buy a roll of 250 foot string for like 3 bucks from walmart.  Make a square pattern with the string. That easy.

Attached Files:

18. #18 aj69420g, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014
    Here is a screen I did. Its size is 4ft x 8ft (2 1/4 inch squares). I should have done a tri "T" instead of couplings on the 8ft lengths and added a center brace halfway down. But this cost me about 30$,  required 24 ft of pvc but for 7$ i got 30ft. And I recommend using the leftover 6 ft for a center brace so the long 8ft section doesnt bow so much when tightened

120 screws (2 1/2 inch coarse thread, pre drilled every hole)
    30 ft PVC (1 1/2 inch diameter)
    x4 elbows
    x2 couplings 
    1 jar of pvc cement  
    300 ft of 5/16's clothesline. (x3 100ft packs)

Then about two hours of time. Made this

[​IMG]

Thats a tough net, I hung it in my basement and put two 8 lb bags of seashell powder (for gnats) and it hardly bowed down.

Secret to the screws being strong is get longer ones that will reach the bottom, but you dont want them poking out for when you have to handle it. Makes the screw able to handle more tension from tightening the rope.

Hope that helped.

EDIT: Also reason I used clothes line is yea it will have little loose fibers you dont want, but first time you install it just spray down with a safer soap like substance before installing it. Let it dry and it should get stiff. Any residual fibers should blow away with a fan, hairdryer w/e.. But The clothes line IS BOUNCY! so it can be stretched A LOT, and tightened up good provided the screws are mount well.

19. Even easier than adding the screws... drill holes through the pvc once constructed and thread the string through the holes.. makes it easy to pull the whole screen tight once you get to the end. You can kinda see what I did in this pic. First scrog.. 1 day into 12/12 there

Attached Files:

I don't agree... my first grow was a Scrog, under CFLs and pulled 2 zips of dank in a 2x2 cabinet...

yes I did snap some stems, probably was not most efficient scrog, but for a first grow, considering my lights and inexperience I think I pulled it off pretty damn good.

People just don't understand that you need to READ, I probably read 20h+ a week during that first grow, and I learnt quite a bit!

And I agree that plant training should be in a section of its own or somewhere like the beginner's section, since that is the first thing I started to read about after the basics of soil, air and light... Simply because I needed to train my plant to keep it Under control in my small cabinet.