ScrOg-Amnesia Lemon and Jack Diesel

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by exs, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Day 34

I wasnt sure if I even wanted to put up these pics theyre so depressing but I guess its all part of the learning curve.This is what the girls look like under their life support cfl's.They are starting to fill in the screen hope this setback doesnt affect the yield too badly...should have the new hps bulb tuesday or wednesday.

Attached Files:

2. looking really good. nice clean simple setup. how are you finding scrog is it high maintenance or quiet easy keeping on top of tucking them under again and again

3. Its actually pretty fun having something extra to do, dont mind spending time on em otherwise its just 5min every couple of days for watering and checkin pH.Gives me an excuse to see them more often:D

4. I have the black patches on all my bulbs and I think it may just be a bi-product of the burning process... what it sounds like to me is a power supply issue.. how close to your light is the ballast?

Is the ballast digital or magnetic?

If your ballast is magnetic then the ignitor can be moved closed to the bulb to improve the spark strength...

Get a voltage meter and check your output.. it should be within 5% of the required voltage for that ballast :)

I had nightmares with my lighting till I traced it to supply strength... eventually ran a fresh cable from a separate breaker to my grow room and moved the ignitor from inside the ballast to directly next to my lamp....

Same symptom... blue light playing over the bulb but no ignition

5. Thanks for the reply you could be onto something I had the ballast plugged into an extension cord which was plugged into another extension cord which was also running 2 fans.I tried it without the fans but it was still running through the two cords and the ballast was about 3 to 4 foot away.will try it plugged into just the one extension cord and move the ballast closer.you think it might help or could the ballast be bad?dont have a voltage meter thhanks for the reply hopefully will help!

6. Hiya! Ok first off test the ballast at the wall (ie NO extension cords) if that solves the problem then it's voltage drop. Make sure the supply to the ballast is as clean (not shared) as possible and make sure the ballast is as close to the light as possible. Ideally test your ballast and lights in the house first. If that doesn't work it may be the gear but from my experience the power is more likely your issue :)

7. SUBD!

Hope you can get your 600w back asap! Otherwise you got a really nice set up! u seem to have the perfect grow climate even tho you're in the attic. Must be cold over there huh?
    I'm working with 250w HPS in a grow closet and I get mad temp problems.

I just started my 2nd grow, 3 Amnesia Lemons and 1 Tangerine Dream. Just like my first grow I"m going to SCROG this one as well. So I'll be watching your grow closely.

Will you keep all plants? I'm thinking the Amnesia Lemon is going to stretch a lot more than just twice its size....... when are you planning to switch?

8. Ok Grassmatt just putting this post up as a thank you hope you got the +rep!Problem fixed HPS is now on its own power source no fans etc drawing the power at the same time.Will have to run up another cable for the fans and heater asap.Dont know what I was thinkin just not used to running 600w lights lol.

Thanks again!

9. #109 exs, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2011
    Thanks for takin an interest greenops yeah outside temps fallin as the autumn sets in have problems keeping it warm never mind cooling it down!

Yeah plan is to keep all plants they were switched 6 days ago but the HPS gave out 2 or 3 days into it so theyve kind of been in standby mode under the cfl's.Back working now tho and spare bulb comin in the post incase of emergencys thinkin about gettin another ballast as well better quality just to have. maybe MH/HPS one.

Got 4 amnesia here so keep an eye on them we'll try estimate the amount of stretch so you can judge your own.

(Light is lower now then in the pics was just trying to work out what distance I could have it at without the fan.Anyone think theres any point in running the cfl's along with the 600?)
    Day 36-6 Days 12/12

Attached Files:

10. If you can pay the bill, run all of the lights. I have heard of putting the cfls under the canopy... Maybe someone can shed some LIGHT on the subject.

11. Such a pleasure... that's what these forums are all about hey... from one newbie to another :wave:

12. I wonder if those spots on your leaves are burns from foliar feeding. The beads of water act like little lenses and focus that 600W into a tiny area. Do you feed when the lights are off or on? If you feed them while it's off they can have time to soak up the nutes. Good luck on your grow and I like that screen you built, btw.

13. looking sweet bro. the whole setup looks great. and the plants are loving it. cant wait to see the yeild of this. my friend just done a amnisia grow 5 plants got 11 oz without scrog so id love to see the difference with the screen of green. keep it up m8

14. Thanks lads feelin positive about it again now that the hps is back on the go fingers crossed that it starts up again when its supposed to in a few hours.

stealthd0c thanks for the tip I usually mist with lights off occasionally I do it with lights on and it can result in some spotting which is why I try to avoid it.Brown spots stopped spreading a few weeks ago was definitely calcium def fixed with garden lime.

Ive heard of putting the lights under the screen dont know if theres much point its pretty crowded under there will prob trim most of it away dont think they would be of much benefit really.

You know how long he vegged them for newtrichs?would love to be able to take a guess at yield I would be over the moon with 20oz total from 9 plants even 15 would be fantastic

15. I hear The cheap $10 dollar flourescent tubes are the best for scrog cause they do not get very hot and are nice and thin and can fit right up against them and wont burn the plants

16. Not gonna invest in anymore lighting the 600w will do for now havent seen any examples of big benefits from additional side lighting.will start using the cfl's again if it seems like any bud sites are left without light but for now the hps is switching on when its supposed to:)

The light is very orange since changing the electricity supply to the ballast is that a good thing or bad thing?

Branching out everywhere cant wait to see em turn to buds hope the stress from the lighting issue hasnt caused any hermies

17. I only run 1 600W and I'm upping to 4 plants for my next grow... ZERO penetration problems, even my wife who doesn't know growing says the penetration is awesome (Oh wait... in retrospect that's not what she was talking about)

I see that Rumpleforeskin added some side CFL's in his grow room.. but then he seemed to take them our again... so I'm not sure... Personally I'd rather train off the side branches and LST or SCROG to get good coverage... a good 600W is a crapload of light anyway..

Also the more lights = more heat = more other problems

As to the orange... that's right dude... check the pics in my grow.. when the lights are off VS the early MH pics vs the recent HPS pics...all the pics during the flowering period are as yellow as an aging alcoholics liver - that's the Sodium Glow baby!

18. Yeah thats what I thought if you look back the earlier pics arent as orange must be cos it was losin current cos of the wiring and wasnt working at full capacity.

What kind of yield are you gettin at the moment under the 600w and how long did you veg etc?

The screen is really filling out nicely Im hopin I got the timing right cant wait to use clones so I know the exact growth characteristics of the plant.Gonna build a small grow box on the other side of the attic and take a few clones to use as mothers and keep them under blue spectrum cfls until this grow is harvested and then go again;)

19. very cool, sub'd

20. Howdee

This is my first grow... picking the skunk on Sunday so I'll weigh it then.. my yield per Watt wont be great as my grow room is half empty... it could be double what I have now..

I only vegged for 2 weeks and would do the same in future