Scotts pure organic potting mix?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Lindsay 420, May 15, 2017.

1. just wondering if this would be a good potting mix for growing in it's 100% organic and contains various organic amendments that feed for up to 3 months aparently just wondering if anyone has tried it?
    Sick of crappy standard potting mix lol

2. Try mimicking this

Sent from my Z1 using Tapatalk

3. That's a sign of a low quality soil and most likely won't be enough to get you to harvest . A good mix should last way more then that.

If you want to go organic your best bet would be to mix your own, it's fairly easy.
    The recipe on the no till thread is very good and what many here at GCO use, I would however recommend to add a cup of lime to the recipe listed in the thread.

HTH

4. I haven't got anywhere I can just mix a batch of super soil which why I looked into this as a viable way to get most of the way through n if have to then supliment using organic flowering nutrient to end

5. I could probably grow good pot in it. Don't like it when they add their own unless they tell me exactly what and how much they have added. Usually I would just start with any non added potting mix and add some tomato-tone or any of the other similar recipes. That way if you have problems you have a better idea of what the soil has already been amended with. 3 months of what? Strawberries? Basil? All these organic soils and fertilizers being sold today are about the same, they add some feather meal or whatever item that is available from a slaughterhouse, or you can just do it yourself much easier. But I can vouch for Espoma organic potting mix and Tomato-tone to at least get you to flowering with a good healthy plant without costing a lot. Those are both widely available at walmart and the big box. I've used Black Cow potting mix, it is good, Promix is a peat based mix which you can get at walmart that many pot growers use. Scotts just already has a bad reputation so why bother when there are so many old standbys to choose from. Learn to read the labels. Forest products is the same as old hardwood fine mulch. The rest is usually peat and perlite. Ocean products are fishmeal or crabmeal or whatever is a fishing byproduct. Many soils now have a moisture retainer added. Most hate them simply because they don't know what they are, but somewhere out there is a good pot grower who swears by them because he understands how to use them. I'm sure Scotts means well and they may have seen the light and are now making good organic products, IDK, I know they are largely responsible for the hard baked soils under most grass in the suburbs.

6. Not shore if same Scotts but this is 100% organic certified made in Australia contain blood n bone,chicken,manure,kelp meal,feather meal and organic bio stimulants also adding worm castings as have worm farm thing going :)

7. I think the first thing to check if you are in the US is that the Scott's mix you see on the shelf is the same as that which is marketed in AU. IDK but you just have to read the label on the bag and esp all the fine print.

That said, this mix won't do the job start to finish as it's presented. If you add some EWC, some Scott's cactus potting mix (hardwood fines), and some additional aeration it will get you started. Once you go to flower, all things being "ok" at this point, add 1 Tbsp of complete dry, organic fertilizer per 5g container and keep watering per usual. The biggest concern of these '4 month feeding', pre-mixed bag soils is they will turn acidic due to the ingredients added and the lack of good humic structure. Otherwise unless you are marketing yourself as an organophile-only, or you're seeking OMRI certification, don't sweat it being not "organic only" (if that's the case - I haven't read the label), but take steps to amend this otherwise "ok" medium. Beef it up in other words.

HTH's. Go for it :apache:

8. Will be adding prob 10or so % perlite and coco to airate a little better
    Can't mix own soil as nowhere to do it so have to go with pre made bags unfortunately but up till now have only used normal everyday potting mixes not organic n used hydro chems to feed which has worked well but wanted to try more organic way not using hydro chems but natural ferts instead last grow got 7 oz off 1 plant n was good quality n taste but doc of constantly having to feed lol and mixing feeds ect

9. yeah, you're probably good to go. May not take you all the way to harvest, and may not have the calcium pot sometimes seems to need. But that is good with water only to get you to flower. After that you will probably need a boost. Probably very small amounts of Phosphorous and Potassium. Also be aware of any calcium def. Just depends on what went into the soil. You can consider dolomite, but I am not recommending it without knowing more.

10. You'll be fine if you add some basic off-the-shelf EWC if that's all you can lay hands to. This, arguably, is the most important thing. the second important thing is to be ready to supplement with a complete, dry, organic fertilizer. The cocoa hulls are a great addition in lieu of hardwood fines.

I like to suggest: you wont know till you grow bro. Do it!

11. I'm in Aus and yes it's an Australian made product :) heard bad things about the American one but from what I've seen this one is backed by some of the countries leading vegetable Gardeners regarding its quality as an organic potting mix especially for fast growing leafy plants like tomatoes which is what caught my interest

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Aparently one of the ingredients is to maintain good levels of calcium
    My water also has 3mlg of cal per litre and 3.9 mag which helps lol also ph'd at 6.5 off the bat which is sweet

13. Oh, I missed that, Oh yes, If you have your own worms you are on your way if not already there. They can fix anything. Also I read you are considering adding coco. Man that stuff is a trip. Never thought cannabis could have an Nitrogen def until I started with coco. It is totally pure first time through. Those worms can do magic with it. Yeah if you have your own EWC/vermicompost, you can make anything work for you. If adding coco you will definitely need an added source of calcium. I use 1/3 cup dolomite lime for each brand new 650g brick.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I just read the label. I'd use it along with their bagged compost product. Get some of that also. Same caveats apply as mentioned previously and I think you'll be good to go. I use to grow with nothing but off-the-shelf, big box store, ingredients and it worked out "fine". You just need to tweak things a bit for the needs of an aggressive growing, flower producing plant such as cannabis. While I'm thinking about it I'd seriously consider adding some gypsum for Su and additional Ca. Stuff is a must have. If you need additional P use steamed bone meal after pulverizing it to powder which will make it more rapidly available.

EDIT: I second the addition of some dolo lime. Again, grind the stuff up if it's prilled. It will get it going quicker.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I also feed my worms some coco as well haha seems to just magically disappear so guess there eating it lol

16. Will be adding powdered eggshell to mix for added cal :)

17. image.jpeg These ingredients along with some tomatoe compost grow mix with ewc and powdered eggshell is the mix I'm currently at :) also amending with some perlite and a little coco but not much as far as coco goes
    Also intending to run gas lantern light schedule as heard amazing things regarding its results

• Like Like x 1
  18. @Lindsay 420 are you running the gaslight for CO2? If so that's kewl. FWIW I purchased a CO2 monitor for giggles and grins and because I was curious if enhanced CO2 might be in order. I have to LOL a little bit because there is not once that CO2 levels have dropped below 400ppm and in the mornings when I check the min/max setting for the previous "light on" period the CO2 levels are consistently greater than 800 ppm. Wow!. In my case that's sufficient as I don't think I've got the extra PPFD to fully capitalize on that. But my main point is two fold; One, atmospheric CO2 levels are definitely at world history highs. Two, growing in a basement such as I do with copious amounts of fresh air and 'basement air' (reconstituted air) CO2 levels peak due to CO2 being heavier than O2 hence it tends to settle in my basement. A lot of hot breathing going on upstairs so-to-speak.

Hey good luck Oz-man. Let us know how it all works out.

FWIW I consistently grow a strain called Bubble Fuck that originated out of Oz. I'm on the F3/F4 version currently.

Happy Highs. G'day mate!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yeah I run co2 in my grows plants love it but never tried gas lantern light schedule before but always open to new things with growing :) il be growing an orig super skunk and strawberry cough and ak 47