scooby doo

Discussion in 'General' started by joe Biggs, Jun 11, 2008.

1. so we all know scooby doo is a show about complete stones, they drive a hippy van looking for ghosts, they have a talking dog and always have the munchies.

but my question is did the writers/creators do this on purpose?

2. obviously.

Soooo many kid shows/movies have references to things such as drugs, sex, etc.

3. Yeah, I've always pegged Shaggy for being a huge stoner.

I remember in a very old episode, the gang meets a girl named mary jane, and Shaggy blurted "That's like my most favorite name."

Classic.

4. How about a name... Walt Disney.

5. well walt disneys, snow white is apparently about cocaine and the dwarfs are symptoms of cocaine. but i doubt this is true.

also there sex in lion king written in the stars.

and in aladin a background voice says "take off your cloths" or something.

and ofcourse alice in wonder land is acid trip.

and fanatia is made to watch while on lsd.

not all of those are said true by the makers though. im talking about shows and movies that the creators say "yes this is about drugs"

6. Who remembers this show, then? This episode ROCKS!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SRoJsuMlJP8&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SRoJsuMlJP8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yea... this one is pretty straight forward.

Also, no creator is going to openly admit he put drug/sex references into a kid's show. You just notice it when you're older and watch it.

7. ^^^^^^^^ AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    yea you've proved your point. I ALWAYS watched this show, but obviiously NEVER picked up on that until about 2 minutes ago. Wow that is classic, I love dinosaurs, what a great show! now i love it more

8. ahahahaahahahahahaah.

"this is your brain"...smash "This is your brain on the plant" - little baby

9. Actually it was "SFX" added by the special effects team in Disney. I'm a Lion King nerd.

I think you guys are misconstruing kid-themes. I mean, look at some of the stuff they have on TV for kids. Bright colors, strange movement---kids go for that kinda thing. I, personally, don't think Disney shows were designated for stoners or showing off drug ideas and stuff like that. Unless you have the writers state "yes, that's what we had intended", then that'll be my opinion for the time being.

10. thats exactly what i meant pink, did the producers do this on purpose and openly admit to it being about whatever.
    but im pretty sure disney announced that alice is about a lsd trip. and fantasia was designed to be watched while under lsd. but i could be wrong.

and what is that dinosaur show?

11. well im no expert, but there are countless disney movies that have underlying adult themed jokes and references,

12. well fantasia came out before LSD was ever even synthesized i beleive [edit: lsd was synthesized before fantasia was made, but was never ingested [famous hoffman 'first acid trip'] until 3 years after the movie was made). Perhaps a different drug then?

alice in wonderland came out after, and deffinitely seems like it could be about a lsd trip, but i beleive it was written as a book before LSD. I think it was more dirived from the "madhatters" who turned "mad" or crazy from making hats, which at the time, were coated in mercury (correct if im wrong) to make them waterproof

[edit again] Alice in wonderland, is indeed, based on LSD.
    "Alice In Wonderland is unique among Disney animated features in that it is based on three books: Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland, Charles Dodgson's Through The Looking Glass, and Timothy Leary's, Your Brain Is God."

13. Where to begin...Snow White is a European fairy tale that is believed to date back to the Middle Ages before cocaine was widespread enough to influence the naming of the dwarves, although maybe the names of the dwarves are more recent.

Alice in Wonderland was written far before the invention of LSD and the use of mushrooms among most North Americans.

Fantasia was made three years before the psychedelic properties of LSD were discovered.

Ever stop to think that people are able to have and to communicate delightful, non-realistic fantasies without the involvement of drugs?

14. Nfloyd- you're right about the madhatters. And the book. The guy that wrote the book wrote it for this young girl that (I think) he was infatuated over. If anyone was to say what Alice in Wonderland was about, it would be him. Because, yes..the colors and composition and such are trippy- but it's the characters and world (not created by Disney, mind you) that are the real trip.

15. i never said they were true. but thanks for the knowledge.

16. well, like i said in my last post, the BOOK wasn't written about lsd, but the movie was inspired by THREE books, one in which IS inspired by lsd (obviously leary's)

this is according to this site (which i dont know how true it is) http://disneylies.com/films/animated/alice.shtml

[edit] exactly, pink oddity, it seems as though the movie was inspired by more than just carroll's books

17. I just don't believe that a Disney movie released in 1951...a full 15 years before the LSD explosion...could be, in any significant way, inspired by an acid experience. Two of the books are by the same guy; Lewis Carroll was Charles Dodgson's nom-de-plume, and I think the relevance of Tim Leary's book is a stretch at best.

Not trying to argue or put anyone down for believing it, I'm just trying to offer some points for the opposing view.