Scoobies Secret Doobie Farm

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Sc00byD00bie, Mar 12, 2015.

1. I'm allready running my lights dimmer than I'd like but you are right, better to dim them and have happy plants than trying to push them to death. I'll dim then down some more.

I'm thinking of putting my humidifier in there and have it on during lights on. not sure if I should leave it on during dark period so as not to create condensation and risk PM.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. 105F leaf temperature :eek:
    Dimmed the lights down from 300w to 200w and raised them some more. After 5 minutes leaf temp went down to 100f, still high so I left the tent curtain ajar for the night. Just standing in that room and I'm breaking a sweat...
    Tomorow I'll see about getting that humidifier in there as well.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Damn scoobs I had a similar problem this summer. Got a window ac, problem solved, almost gets too cold now lol. Just flipped my golden tigers and tikal. Holy shit I should've flipped them earlier. This one tripled in height after 3 days.

• Like Like x 3
  4. #2804 Sc00byD00bie, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Nice, I wish I could get an AC in my space that would really be a game changer. Ugh and I just looked at the forecast for the upcoming months, it not gonna get below 30c before December...normally temp will start to go down around October...wtf... seriously how can people still deny global warming at this point?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. sc00bZ...dude i saw the temperature in your neck of the woods. i can kind of imagine how hot that is as ive experienced some triple digit days in dallas but what you're going through would melt the flesh. i mean damn!

stay indoors if you can because that uv will get ya man. I'm sure the garden doesnt like the heat. that kind of heat will kill everything but an extremophile! good luck bro!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Man, we had the warmest week this week with 38c (100f) temps. My AC has been constantly on for a month now, lol! Too bad I dont have AC in me grow space though...:mad:

This is how I try to combat the heat:
    First, I leave the opening flap on my tent open and placed a small 6" clip fan blowing air out, this really made a huge difference in the interior temps.
    IMG_5181.jpg

But that wasnt enough so I'm also dimming the lights to bare minimum. This 480w driver dimmed to 50w powering the four qb96 boards. I have another 150w driving the rest so total is 200w, normally I would be running closer to 400w.
    IMG_5182.jpg

Also, just got this in the mail, decided to splurge on a nice steel fork, already did a light pass on the soil just sticking in every 10inches and giving it a 5-10 degree nudge
    IMG_5172.jpg
    52 Nights
    I think they are doing a bit better now that I've lowered the temps to just under scorching hot, at least the damage isnt progressing
    IMG_5179.jpg IMG_5180.jpg

Panama
    IMG_5173.jpg

Durban 1 IMG_5174.jpg IMG_5175.jpg

durban 2, This one had the most damage, in the form of burnt leaves and pistils IMG_5177.jpg IMG_5178.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Looks good despite the heat. Hope it cools down soon!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Soon being the end of October, lol!
    wtv.JPG

:passing-joint:

• Like Like x 4
  9. Dang Scoobie! Hope the forecast is wrong and you get some cooler days soon. We're getting into the 80's and it's already to hot for me lol. I can't imagine where you are.
    :passing-joint:

P-

• Like Like x 3
  10. D80D3CBB-964D-4B9E-ACA3-853B0A903A0D.jpeg

Just found this gem on amazon Sc00b...think I’m going to have to sport it just because I can say I know the real @Sc00byD00bie

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. haha thats a cool shirt :D

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Zamaldelica 2 turned out to be a herm
    IMG_5194.jpg
    I might flower this in a separate area just to get a sample and see if the pollen is actually fertile or not. For now I separated it and am gonna keep vegging it until I can take a couple of cuts and then put it in flower where I usually do males (right now I have the gorilla blood in there for pollen collection).
    Still waiting on Zamal #1 cutting i took about a week ago to show sex.

• Like Like x 3
  13. nice photog skills man. what camera are you using?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. iPhone 7, lol! (The trick is to move the camera a bit away and use a bit of zoom!)

Gorilla Blood stud!
    IMG_5198.jpg IMG_5199.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  15. Zamaldelica 1 is female :weed:
    IMG_5206.jpg

Hopefully this one stays that way :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Collecting pollen!

I'm collecting twice a day now. After using a fine mesh sieve to remove any flowers/plant matter I'm left with about 1/8 tsp of clean pollen from my Gorilla Blood stud
    IMG_5208.jpg

I made these packets from a cut up quart sized mylar storage bafg (AA battery for scale)
    IMG_5218.jpg

I got this color changing silica get, it turns pink when it absorbs moister. I put about 1/8 tsp in each packet to keep the pollen dry.
    IMG_5210.jpg

Using a mini perfume funnel I carefully pour the pollen into the pouch.
    IMG_5211.jpg

If you ever tried vacuum packing a mylar bag then you know it wont work on most vacuum machine, but I discovered this trick on the interenet. Basically you just cut a peace of the textured side of a regular vacuum bag and place it in the opening of the mylar bag you want to seal. The corrugations allow air to be sucked out.
    IMG_5213.jpg IMG_5221.jpg

That's it! I give it a second seal just in case. All thats left is to label with a sharpie.
    IMG_5222.jpg

Packs go into the fridge for 24h to allow the silica to completely dry the pollen before I move them to an airtight glass jar (with more silica) in the freezer for storage.

:apache:

• Like Like x 4
  17. All your prep and process makes me fear my mix of samples may no be viable. IMG_20190517_065849.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  18. Yeah I hate to break it to ya but I would'nt count on any of that pollen being viable.
    Pollen really needs to be stored in a completely dry environment away from heat and light otherwise it doesnt last more than a couple of days. Even the dead flower matter probably contains enough moister to ruin the pollen if kept together. Thats why I run all the pollen through a fine mesh sieve to remove all the little flowers and plant matter in addition to adding some silica gel when storing it. Water activates the pollen so you want it as dry as possible.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Speaking of which...
    I have pollen from a Panama male I collected oh about 3 years ago. Stored it in mylar vacuum pouch, silica...same deal. Anyway, I tried to pollinate those Durban clones I've been flowering for a seed run. The pollen came out nice and dry but the girls didn't go to seed. Tried twice waiting a week after each to see if they catch but I'm still seeing white pistils everywhere and no calyx swelling. IDK if this is just the pollen gone bad (or maybe it was sterile to begin with?) Or if its just to damm hot! its been 90f and above and plants kinda stop working when its that hot. I think excessive heat can even suppress flowering.

Anyway, I moved the Durban seed run and placed them right next to the male Gorilla Blood to see if they want to make some beans for me. It's much cooler where this male is so that should also help.
    IMG_5220.jpg

I gave the male a good shake once the Durban's were under it and they got engulfed in a cloud of pollen, lol! Now that oughta do it!
    I'm thinking "Venomous Winged Gorilla" (Durban x Gorilla Glue x Dragons Blood)

• Like Like x 6