Scientists say the eye "sees" everything "upside down" and the brain "corrects"......

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Gonjaninjitsu, Mar 15, 2011.

1. #1 Gonjaninjitsu, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2011
    The image. What exactly is the brain correcting after the sight has been captured and seeks to identify the image in stored memories? I call conspiracy.....of immense stupidity. Cuz I'm smarter than them :ey:

I base this fact finding solution on absolutely nothing, especially not from the vanity we call "knowledge". Also known as power. Brought to you by the prison we call time :D

2. Is this a question or a statement? God I'm too stoned to try and answer this.

You see everything upside down because of physics. It's kind of similar to a mirror. If you look at stuff in a mirror, it's flipped. Same thing with your eye, except the way it takes in light it's upside down instead of mirrored. Your brain doesn't filter anything out of the image, it just flips it over so it makes sense according to the input from your other senses. Well, it also interlaces your two separate eyes into one image and it also filters out the blind spot you have in your eye caused by the lack of photo receptive cells where your optic nerve exits your eye, but that is pretty much it.

3. Its not the process I'm interested in more or likely I'm interested in the interpretations our brains function with to produce such inverted and "complete" images such as all of us "knowing" that a keyboard and a screen lies in front of us to generate a reply in reading and also to generate a reply in expressing your response. The "how things work" argument is easily elaborated but whenever it comes to the Source of such productions the overcast shadow of "being right" clouds the infinite purpose of such things. Which is why I ask again. What exactly do we "correct?

4. your gonna have friends here ^^
    :hide:

5. Like how the leagues of academians despise each other yet claim to be of the same cloth? Its all good I'll en up locking this anyway I gathered a way better response on the S&P boards which is not surprising at all for most people on those boards aren't restricted the schools of left and right and how left is better than right opposed to how right is better than left and how it isn't known how left or right came to be however the observations of left to right, right to left and left to right remain top class in the material sense, science without nature. Anyho toodle loo and thanks again guys! :D

6. Your eyes "see" everything upside down because the back of the eye - where the image is "sensed" by light sensitive cells is concave.

Like looking at the concave face of a spoon, you see your reflection inverted.

The brain merely flips the image so that we perceive things visually the way our other senses perceive it.

I remember reading years and years ago about an experiment where they gave people glasses that flipped the image entering the eye - so that the image on the back of the eye would actually be right side up, the brain would interpret that as everything being upside down.

They found that after some amount of time (don't remember how long) the image would re-flip - the brain would correct for the change, and the person would see everything right-side-up again despite the glasses and taking the glasses off would cause everything to look upside down.

7. Thats pretty fucking awesome yo I would love to read more up on that

8. sounds to me like you don't know the differences between eyesight, and the processing of visual images into stored memory and then stored memory.

if i look at a keyboard. the image is being seen by my eyes and is indeed inverted. you say you know this - it's right. -it's how a camera works as well

once that image is saved. in our brain or in in a digital camera even. the lens of the camera and your eyes are no longer need to "see" that image.

if i were to go blind today - all things that i can remember do not get reprocessed through my eyes. when i remember them. the inversion doesn't take place again.

sounds to me like you got baked and were trying to blow your mind - didn't work man. you just

our imagination allows us to "see" things with no eyesight necessary.

9. It's true. There was an experiment done where someone wore goggles that made him see everything upside-down. After a few days, his brain corrected itself, and he saw everything right-side-up. When he took the goggles off, everything was upside-down again. His brain corrected again back to normal.

10. actually i first heard this like 15 years ago so there must be at least some validity to it.

11. It's just like an old view camera from the late 1800's and early 1900's.

SLRs have a mirrors that correct for this.

If you look through a lens, just a normal lens, then you will see the the image is upside down and backwards.

Our brain acts as a "mirror" (bad analogy) that corrects this....

12. Ever looked at your reflection in each side of a spoon? Convex, concave, my man.....think.