Scientists create hydrogen fuel from sound waves

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Highbinder, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Scientists Create Hydrogen Fuel From Sound Waves - Green Diary

Scientists at the University of Wisconsin-Madison have succeeded in producing hydrogen from zinc oxide crystals and water. They immersed zinc oxide crystals in water and could harvest hydrogen from vibrations caused by passing traffic and waves. This mechanism is called the piezoelectrochemical effect.

When placed in water, the novel zinc oxide crystals react to sound-generated vibrations and develop areas with strong positive and negative charges. Later, the surrounding water molecules break up and produce hydrogen and oxygen. During this process, 18 percent of the energy from vibrations is converted into hydrogen gas. That's really impressive when compared to 10 percent of the same coming from conventional piezoelectric materials. The research could someday enable scientists to generate green energy from sound waves at airports, oceans and from autos.

How cool is that?

2. Brilliant find man! Shame it would be too expensive to be practical at the moment. But endless possibilities for the future!

3. Wow, that is some pretty cool physics right there! I should probably look into that kind of technology in the next few years.

4. i remember learning about that in OChem ... beautiful stuff man. i am excited to be working in this field in 4-5 years :p :metal:

5. its a damn shame that technologies like this exist and yet we cant explore them b/c of monatary issues, damn shame

6. well, end Oil Corporation pork and lobbying and BOOM... energy for everyone for very cheap.

until then, no dice.

7. It really Dil logical! I appreciate your knowledge. The stuff you had provide to your thread really very practical. It should be explore soon in practice. I would try to put it in action after few years. Truly such threads are meaningful to post. It would to helpful to hydrogen fuel rockets!

8. Many years from now its going to be more practical to just extract hydrogen from the atmosphere of Saturn.