Scientist Creates Synthetic Lifeform!

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Joe Luxon, May 21, 2010.

1. #21 Mr. Mojorising, May 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2010

I am with you on that my Brother. I subscribe to many boards and its long threads full of debate of the psychedelic type sites. Its one of mankind's biggest accomplishments. But most people dont watch the news it is some depressing BS most of the time. Me I am a Human Potential type I enjoy looking past my lifetime and realize I am but a micro speck in the big picture.

That big picture is what inspires me and drives my mind I have no choice that is how my mind operates. So I follow my intuition as well as the facts.
    I have to play the hand I was dealt thats why I got to be me.

As was once said
    "I am you
    As you
    Are me
    And we are all together."
    I would link the song but dont want to derail the thread:rolleyes:

Do not fear the future its coming like it or not that is at less you have a Time Machine in you basement.......then yeah I am scared to.......LOL

Hello MMan oh great, now that bacteria is gonna grow into something that wipes out every living thing on earth..........
    Francis Crick to co discoverer of the DNA double helix thinks Panspermia could be the orgin of life on earth. Of course that is just his ideal.

Peace Brother

2. sure we'll just leave those chemicals in the dish, transport it back intime to when there was no life on earth, then wait a billion years or so

3. I'm not too scared about the bacteria killing everyone

I mean

seriously

why are we so arrogant to think that one unicellular creature we created is any threat to earthen life?

if this gets outta hand maybe it kills us all, but the earth will still be around

nature will destroy or use to its advantage what we have created

4. What's the difference between synthetic and organic lifeforms, other than the processes that they are made?

If there is regulation in place regarding the manufacturing of these lifeforms, then do we have anything to fear about ingesting them?

5. I guess I missed where anybody said anything close to "it will destroy the Earth itself" :confused:

As far as a unicellular organism wiping out mankind? Have you not ever heard of bacteria? Or viruses? The Bubonic plague/black death, etc etc. All examples of unicellular organisms wiping out hundreds of millions of people, really really quickly. Imagine, instead of a natural threat like what I mentioned, a synthetic version that replicates and kills even faster. Something that could take off given the right conditions, and would be killing lots and lots of people before we even knew what hit us. It's not necessarily probable, but it is entirely possible and that's what people are worried about.

6. Because I don't think we 100% understand everything about such synthetic lifeforms. If a scientist fucks up a few base pairs of genetic code, it could be completely unpredictable. Think of a cancer that doesn't infect just people, but whatever it happens to come in contact with. That's all cancer is, some cells with some fucked up genetic code that makes them reproduce like crazy.

7. We must think of the potential benefits of such things. You could make it illegal if you wish someone in a lab will still proceed with possible devious intentions.
    The restrictions on stem cell research are slowing progress in the US.

Nanotechnology is also on its way the destructive as well as positive aspects are evident. Its all about responsibility we need more of that.

Hell we should launch a few of these dudes into space. When our sun dies which it will. We may then fit the pop culture definition of God. If a few survive and may evolve as well. Over a very long period of time of course. Its not like we can just rip out one of our rib bones and create life.

The earth will be devoid of life in the future with or with out our help. So I say bring on the new inventions of all types. I would prefer to see someone benefit from this two thousand years from now as opposed to preserving life on earth a additional two thousand years. Its about quality not quantity. Thats my two cents.

Even the Vatican calls synthetic cell creation 'interesting' that is amazing to me.

Peace

8. ^^ to this guy,

It may be possible to save the earth from the sun by changing the orbit farther and farther from the sun by placing asteroids and large bodies in earth orbit. but ya earth will die eventually just because i think humans will forget about it.

this whole synthetic life thing is awesome i cant wait for this stuff to start saving lives. but i suppose it could destory life as we know it. the theory has been around for awhile.