SCIENCE VS RELIGION! Bring your best argument.

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by mountainghost, Nov 15, 2011.

1. What if there is no higher power? Then we would all be fucked according to your "fact"

2. Science vs. religion shouldn't even be an argument, and the only people who do argue it simply can't fathom that proven scientific facts and discoveries could possibly contradict a book of ancient writings that they hold so dear. These people can't be touched because they'll refuse to listen to the logic. It's willful ignorance.

Religion started out as a way for humans to explain things around them that they didn't understand. The more we progress, the more we begin to understand. Naturally, there will be conflict with religion as we develop new knowledge and ways of perceiving the world.

3. This shouldnt be a comparison...Science is physic-al...and religion is metaphysical....

its like comparing squares to cubes.

4. science- the knowlege of the workings of the universe as observed through real events

religion- superstitions about science not yet known

5. I think the title should be changed to spirituality since basically only a rare few take religion seriously at a literal level on these boards. The majority of us think organized religion is pretty laughable because it doesn't make any sense whatsoever and is totally hypocratical.

General spirituality is totally different though. Science is absolutely not separate from spirituality.

6. There is no higher power it's just an idea made up by people to help cope. God didn't make us we made god.

7. Sometimes the best argument is to just not argue?

8. I certainly don't see anything you said about atheism to be true.

In regards to what you said about (organized?) religion, in my opinion about half of it is true. Although I think that the reason most end up believing in any theism is mostly due to redundant teaching methods of parents, and more to do with environment rather than being stuck in the muck.

Although I do see how often times many obtain higher amounts of faith following detrimental or life changing experiences. But I think that early upbringings and the things they were taught to believe in ultimately sway decisions more, or maybe even a convincing acquaintance.

Basically I think that although many do in fact become more faithful due to unsuitable conditions, what they have been taught and how intelligent a person their setting yields.

9. well i wasn't saying anything about atheism just talking about the reasons why people like believing in scienctific ideas instead of religion.

Yes upbringing does have alot to do with religious choices but i don't really count those people in an arguement like this since they never really got to decide for themselv.es

10. Well, if you fully accept science over the average theist rhetoric, you are an atheist.

Because science is not in a single infinitesimally small measuring unit of agreement with theism.

I think the process by which one becomes an atheist includes a much more intelligent inner dialogue.

11. I hold atheisim as a religion itself and i don't associate it with people of science. If you claim to be an atheist you are technically a part of a "religion" by definition. I think sciencentific people don't believe in anything either way and don't take a stance on it. I find most atheists are slightly hostile towards all religions unlike someone who just doesn't believe in anything.

12. Oh shit bro :eek:

[​IMG]

13. Okay. I get that you don't think atheism is backed by science.

1. We have a minimal understanding of a minuscule amount of our universe. This is a fact.

2. Being an atheist means that you understand that we are in no position to make claims as to how our universe came to be without empirical evidence.
    Due to time I will not illustrate the beauty of the hypothesis, but essentially this is double, triple, quadruple, etc. checking. Be AS SURE as possible when it comes to determining decoding our universe.

3. I think it's quite obvious that there was zero scientific inclination when early man constructed the god delusion, and all theism.

4. Think of science as a "downloading" bar. Science is how everything in this universe operates, what causes what, how everything came to be, etc. When you download something, a second bar advances towards the end of the bar until it has completely loaded.

Our growing understanding of "science" is like downloading something. And you best believe it's a large file.

Atheism = Continue the download.
    Theism = Cancel it. We already have that file.

14. I hate it when people say that atheism is a religion.

How hard is it to see that it's as far away from religion as you can get? You know who the only people who even say that are? People who aren't atheists.

We don't identify with religion. That's our whole thing.

15. No i know atheist like science and facts n such but there can be a religious scientist but there can never be a religious atheist ya knoiw what i mean? just because you lean on the side of science doesn't mean you are an atheist.

And i'm not saying atheism is a religion i'm saying it's a group of people that identify themselves as "atheists". There are people that are nothing just because you aren't religious doesn't mean you identify yourself as an atheist automatically.

16. Beautiful, beautiful, mother fucking analogy.
    Mind blown.

17. Some sciences like archaeology can give hints to what religious texts distort and hide through clergy and their political lobby.

Google Zecheriah Sitchin.

WHALE is a very good as well.

18. Every other thread always gets hijacked and turns into flame war, but now that we have a thread for it, no one wants to argue.

SMH GC SMH!! :smoke:

19. God is real /thread

20. How can you even compare the two...?

By definition, they are polar opposites :confused: :p

Science - The intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural..

Religion - The blind belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.