Science Channel Series "Through the Wormhole"

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Rezo, Jul 6, 2010.

1. I was really debating on whether it belong here because it is a tv series but I felt it would get the most appreciation in this section! It is just a new series on the science channel narrated by Morgan Freeman. I have watched the first 3 episodes and it is pretty interesting. For every topic they cover they take on multiple theories and view points which makes it much more informational and interesting than your regular educational programming. Check it out and enjoy! :D

2. i like it because they explain everything in easier terms. And Morgan Freeman's voice is epic as fuck

3. that show blows my mind, and it is epic in all ways.

4. I actually started watching that show because of Morgan Freeman narrating it haha! If I ever make a ton of money I am going to see if he would read me bed time stories to fall asleep. :D and yes the show is fuckin awesome! I need to watch episode 4 still I am excited because the topic sounds trippy "What Happened before the beginning?"!

5. Well not to make you guys cream your pants any more you still have "into the universe with Hawking" to watch.

It came out a couple months ago so you will see a lot of the same theories, but still damn good. It is cool, because everyone can help find out how we came about, not just these guys. To me it sounds like they all get high and think of tons of ideas and then test them.

It is with 100% certainty that they are wrong, but they are the closest thing we have to being right. It is cool though because they are hoping that they find out something new and interesting that proves them wrong, which is why we are at inflation and not really an explosion for the big bang now.

6. Well you sir made me cream my pants so I hope you are happy! An inflation instead of an expansion? that sounds very interesting and I haven't read anything on it yet! I am waiting for "Through the Wormhole" to do an episode on string theory and if they don't I will be thoroughly disappointed :(

7. Yeah, well I like to smoke and really get into it and make my own theories up, its pretty much 100% my religion and spirituality.

8. honestly, i dont understand the shit they say, i just like the visual effects

9. I was waiting to see this for so long, then had to move to a house without that channel as it started :mad:

10. its pretty good but i must say that the previously mentioned Stephen Hawking show is better

11. I was eager to watch this show when I first heard about it but I didn't even bother watching the entire first episode, half the science was just a joke and everything else was boiled down into grossly over-simple terms.

12. I like the fact they explore multiple ideas even if they are a bit bizarre that makes it more interesting when we think a bit further outside the box. I love ideas that are logical and outlandish if there is even a bit of evidence to support them. Also of course its going to use simpler terms because its not a show designed for physicists its designed for people who have an interest in space and time but not enough to get a degree in it. Some of the terms are still very confusing to your average joe. This show isn't designed to teach Harvard scholars but everyday people with an interest in these things. Remember when it was first declared the earth was round people laughed because the science behind it was a joke don't close your mind bro! :smoke:

13. No you misunderstand me, I'm not being close minded, the science is just plain wrong and a lot of what they tell you are half truths, you can look up anything they teach you on the show and you'll realise that the general consensus is that it's a joke, they didn't choose their topics to seem out of the box, they choose them because they realised that the vast majority of people watching the show don't know anything about science so they picked ideas that would seem fascinating to them at the cost of being false or half true.

14. Can I have some examples of what you are talking about and what is your level of expertise on the discussed material? Do you have a degree in Astronomy,Cosmology,Physics and etc..?

15. I'm just a Physics major, I've been studying Physics since the age of 11, along with other sciences however not as extensively as Physics. Alright the first example which comes to mind is the reaching god helmet or whatever it's called. The idea is ridiculous from the start, the helmet itself creates sensory deprivation which alone can cause hallucinations in perfectly healthy people and than the experiment itself of stimulating a part of the brain is exactly that and nothing more, you could stimulate part of the brain and smell bacon but that wouldn't mean there's an invisible field of bacon in spacetime it's simply the product of the brain, to attribute that to the possible existance of god is just laughable.

16. That's wonderful I will be attending college for a dual major in Physics and Engineering next year."you could stimulate part of the brain and smell bacon but that wouldn't mean there's an invisible field of bacon in spacetime it's simply the product of the brain" They said almost literally that bro. They said "God" created in the mind was just a psychological experience. They said in theory when the human mind became more dynamic it had to find a new way to deal with death since humans now understood the concept. He claims he can trigger this sensation of a superior being using the helmet. The concept is simple we developed this so we could live our lives without being a constant state of duress due to contemplating our death.

17. #17 Looshin, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2010
    Ah I apologize I've been having this same debate on another forum and that's what they were trying to argue. I still have the episode on my computer, I'll submit my problems with their Physics related topics later but that was the one that immediately came to mind. If you want a contrast though, a lot of Stephen Hawking's work is far superior in explaining Physics to the layman.

Edit: Just started rewatching the first episode, another example, the surfer physicist, when he first released his theory he received a lot of press, however once people started examining his math it became quite clear that although his theory is flashy and appealing to non-scientists, his math is grossly incomplete and doesn't fit nearly as well as something like m-theory, again I'm not being close-minded here, personally I'm expecting m-theory to be proved wrong to in a matter of time, I'll continue watching to see what else comes up.

18. Its all good man be sure to you are on point you're a physicists so you should know better! I know Stephen Hawkings work is far superior and thats because he honestly superior to everyone on groundbreaking physics I won't disagree there. However, I always found Hawkings to be a bit of a bore his work is very dry(i.e. though fascinating "A Brief History of Time" was really too...systematic and direct in explanation? like reading a car manual). I really like Carl Sagan he is very poetic in his explanation of things and a very renowned cosmologist/physicist. He was also a marijuana advocate which I found out recently and that blow my mind haha!:hello: I would love to see your work though when you have time to post it! I am very excited about going to college I am finishing up 4 years of not-so-enjoyable military service right but I can't wait to start working on my dual major!

19. Oh just the final point that bugged me is how they started to explain how observation changes the nature of a particle yet they didn't explain the other half of how a particle acts when not observed, and didn't even mention Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle or Schodinger's Cat, that just strikes me as beyond layman's terms even.

I see what you mean about Hawking and that's true most of the time however he can rather eccentric and funny but I don't usually read his books because you're right it does feel like a manual and still overly simplified. I didn't know Carl Sagan was a marijuana advocate that's pretty awesome indeed. Oh that's awesome that you're almost done your military service and can start going to school for Physics and engineering hopefully you'll enjoy it.

20. Thank you Looshin! I would check out some of the other episodes they tend to be covering a topic lightly in one but then a little more in depth in another. They are trying to focus as much as they can on the topic at hand with 45 minutes of actual episode time. You have to understand though what may be layman's terms to you really is not to others. I know I will start babbling on using military jargon when I go home on leave and everyone just looks at me like "What the hell did he say?". Be sure to adapt yourself to different audiences even I forget to do that. :)