Sci Fi Weapon Brainstorming

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Bajhshot, Apr 20, 2012.

1. I have been brainstorming the magic and tech in a book that I have been writing, so I am always coming up with new ideas. Well, I thought of something whilst very high and I don't know if its plausible enough to make the cut as a sci-fi weapon for the story.

I would have it called the Higgs Cannon, because it's based on what I have read about the Higgs Boson. The Higgs Boson by itself can be compared to a drop of water splashing out of a stream. That stream is the Higgs Field, which particles interact with to attain their mass (theoretically). We can't detect the Higgs Field but we could detect the Boson with a large enough particle collision.

ANYWAY

The manipulation of this Higgs Field could possible change the mass of an object. I figure the cannon could start with a small round, for shits and giggles let's say it's a 2 gram .22 caliber round, being fired through a magnetic reservoir containing a bit of accumulated Higgs field. The denser Higgs field would react more strongly to the particle passing through and change its mass accordingly. The round will still be .22 caliber, but let's say the Higgs Field is 2x as dense, that would make the round 4grams instead of 2. This could be used to give more mass to the round for more power delivered to the target despite actually being not that heavy.

I know there would have to be something done to the round to make it retain the excess mass when it passes out through the Higgs Field, but I was thinking of ways to make it work for the story. Any ideas?

2. Anyone seen dollhouse? Great mini series with a good ending.

Basically they can controlled peoples minds with a long range weapon

3. Ever heard of the "theoretical" Tesla Ray Cannon? Or Death Ray as Tesla put it.

Supposedly the weapon could gather pure energy from the time plane to fire a controlled beam of pure energy that would disintegrate anything and everything known to man.

A prototype for this weapon was never made, or atleast kept under wraps. Tesla said he had understood how to manipulate this energy to create such a thing but it was never financed. Tesla was going to use this same technology to create free wireless transmission of energy. (solving the energy crisis before it even began..) This process was indeed financed but when JP Morgan figured out what he was financing, he pulled the money. JP Morgan's empire was at stake (General Electric for one), should this invention work as explained. Sometimes I really wonder how different the world would be if this had gone through.

I am sure he could have made it if he had lived longer and had the money to engineer such a contraption. You just hear too much about this hidden energy, spacetime, time plane, orgone energy, etc... for it not to make me a little curious. I personally have a lot more I could talk about this but at the sake of sounding like a crackpot in the science forum, I won't. ;)