Schizophrenia

Discussion in 'General' started by meatwad, Nov 4, 2005.

1. I have been diagnosed with having schizophrenia. I was told by my doctor that doing any form of drug (weed,beer) would be very harmful to me.

Well for the last year and a half I have been smoking nearly every day and also drinking a few beers here and there and I havent felt so good and been doing so good in a long time. Do you think I was told bad information or am just a rare case.

Any info would be cool.:smoke:

2. It depends on what type of schizophrenia you have. Paranoid? Catatonic? schizo-typal?

Weed def wouldn't be recommended for a paranoid schizophrenic because it induces paranoid behavior in most users regardless of their psychopathology. It also increases the likelihood of delusions.

Most psychiatrists don't recommend drugs and alcohol to their patients because they can often be used to self-medicate. Weed and beer can temporarily make you feel better, and that will lead some people to stop taking their meds. Once they're off the meds, it's back to square 1...with possible drug and alcohol addictions as well.

I'm glad to hear you're doing well. If you're not experiencing any symptoms, it's probably ok to continue mild use, but def keep things in control. Also remember that the good feelings you're having could simply be due to the effectiveness of the meds, rather than the weed or beer. You should def tell your psychiatrist about your habits though, just as a precaution against any interations with anything else you're taking.

3. Roses are red,
    Violets are blue
    Im Schizophrenic
    and so am i..

:cool:

4. i have a scitzo friend and he use to be a crack head and those kinds of drugs affect you badly. but weed always melows him out so all i want to say to you is enjoy your toking

5. I don't know much about schizopherenia and recreational drug use, but i'd take the doc's opinion

6. smoke that madd cheeb you got enough shit goin against you

7. My psychologist from high school recommended I try hallucinogens and weed. I'm not fucking joking. It was a few years after I stopped meeting with him and I happened to e-mail him and the topic came up. He said mushrooms and acid helped him clear things up for him in college and that weed helped meditation or something.

EDIT: I don't have Schizophrenia though.

8. Common misconception. That's multiple personality disorder, not schizophrenia.

9. Thank you dude

10. My schizophrenia was brought on by my time in the Marines. Well that is the conclusion of my doctors. I never smoked in high school not until I was almost 21.

11. Yeah someone I know has more then one personality

He's not faking it yet he's got 1 highly logical personality thats downright coldly calculated the other is pretty scatterbrained and religious and the few others are hard to really pick up on

Ones and old quiet sort of dude the others a shy quiet little boy and so on

He can't get a job doesn't and hasn't toked so I donno if you've felt fine fuck it keep smoking it can't hurt to feel good if you've already gotten some bad news

12. keep smoking. psychiatrists dont, and never will know anything. they're as clueless as you are on the whole topic, they just pretend they're not so they can get that paycheck.

13. Thank you for your fact-filled rebuttal, Mr. Cruise.

While I admit that psychology has had its ups and downs as it is a fairly new science. Only within the past 150 years has it made the jump from a purely philosophical subject to one that we can scientifically study. However, to say that we, as psychologists, know nothing about our field is not only wrong but personally insulting. I suggest you do a bit of research about the field before you pass judgement on it. A good place to start would be with neurotransmitters (such as dopamine, epinepherine, seratonin, cortisol...etc.)and their effects on human behavior.

For subject matter more pertinent to our current discussion, check out the following website: http://www.schizophrenia.com/schizpictures.html .

14. Mr. Cruise--omg, I'd give you rep for that, but I have to spread it around first [​IMG] Just take some vitamins and you'll be all gravy.

15. DeleWHERE & DISRUPT:

You two are mixed up I think.

Disrupt said: "psychiatrists dont, and never will know anything."

And Delewhere, you responded defending psychology, which I'm sure you know is a different field.

Personally I agree with both of you. Psychiatrists, for the most part, don't seem to know shit when it comes to prescribing stuff. I mean they understand how they work and they have a lot of knowledge about the stuff they're prescribing, but for a lot of disorders they basically pick and choose from a very limited selection of drugs and then have you return every couple weeks to "see if they work." Fuck, I could do what any psychiatrist has ever done for my various mental problems, which is to pick a pill at random and see if it works. Psychologists though are, in my experience, quite helpful and don't really "shoot in the dark" as many psychiatrists do.

16. You're right, I did defend psychology. However, whether coming from the treatment standpoint of medication (psychiatrist) versus therapy/counseling (psychologist), both fall under the field of psychology--the scientific study of the behavior of humans and animals.

This details the similarities and differences between the two: http://www.psychologyinfo.com/shrink.htm

17. I have schizotypal disorder. It doesn't hurt me to smoke pot. The meds they had me on when I was first diagnosed were much more harmful. It doesn't even bother me anymore, probably due to maturation more so than smoking pot.

But like delawhere said, it really depends on what type of schizophrenia you've been diagnosed with. You certainly wouldn't want to have a mental break. Probably the best idea would be to discuss with your doctor further and ask why specifically you should not smoke bud.

18. How does schizophrenia effect someone then. I mean how is someone who has it different then me. I ask because i always thought it was like you had many personalites , but apparently im wrong

19. ^^It's when a person has hallucinations and delusions. Hallucinations we all know about...it's having a sensation about something that's not really there--usually people hear voices, but can also have visions as well. Delusions are thoughts that are totally out-of-sync with reality. This could include thinking that everyone wants to kill you, thinking you're super human or you're jesus (delusions of grandeur), or that the tv is a device sent by aliens to program your brain. Obviously I'm giving the most severe of the scenerios, but in general that's what characterizes the disorder.