Schizophrenia?!

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by fatman, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Several months ago, I got caught with weed. My dad wasn't angry at all but he was scared for me because the problems my uncle has. My uncle, about 50 years old, has schizophrenia and lives with his parents. He is really socially messed up and can hardly leave the house or have normal relations with people. With that being said, my genetics are in favor of developing the diesease. And marijuana has a large effect on the development of schizo.

Anyways, I didn;t really think much about what he said and I never really thought that I had symptoms of schizophrenia until recently. I was writing a paper on schizophrenia for my biology class and was reading some of the info on this website http://www.schizophrenia.com/diag.php#common.

Im really scared because all the symotoms sound like me! I started smoking by myself before I go to sleep awhile ago and now I do it almost every night for no reason. I have a couple good friends, but other than that I don't really talk or know many people because I'm really shy and sometimes socially awkward. However, I don't really talk to my friends about this kind of stuff and I don't have anyone to talk to about it. I'm smart but sometimes kind of slow and I have trouble putting my thoughts in words. Alot of times I try to avoid talking to people that aren't my close friends. I feel like a normal kid on the outside, but on the inside I feel really different and I sometimes have abnormal thoughts. Every once in a while I will hear something but I don't know if someone actually said it or it was just a though in my head. Sometimes I get existential thoughts like I'm the only one that exists and I'm all alone. I have troubles dealing with stress and don't really like to talk about it with anyone, so it is all locked up in my head. ahhh!

sorry thats really long but im starting to get really paranoid about it. do you think this is an early onset of schizophrenia or is there any advice you have? im thinking about stopping smoking alltogether and especially when im alone.

2. If you're concerned about your mental health, then you should see a mental health professional; not consult a drug forum.

3. That's not good, man.

Gf's best friend developed schiz in a pretty narrow time frame... she had been smoking the entire time too. She's on a lot of medication now, completely not herself...

^Pretty much. Take care of yourself.

4. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEglHjd_gUQ"]YouTube - Terence Mckenna - Schizophrenic or Shamanic?[/ame]

Schizophrenia doesn't exist, only destructive and constructive behaviors. All deconstructive behaviors are fear based. All schizophrenia is based on mind creating habits based on fear.

5. #5 FCFondler, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2009

+1 sounds like you just need to sit quietly and evaluate what you value in life, therefore what you want to construct, establish, produce. I love w/compassion, mercy, gratitude, generocity, etc but choose not to socialize. Theres no correct method to living life mayan. Consequently, only people in my distant family think im shy/quiet. Everyone else's relationship w/me depends on their own contribution of input/output. Social interaction = pretty simple = ur the gardener

learn to calm yourself using the methods out there

(i think i heard in highschool that lsd, shrooms induce schizo, prbly after long term, but u might be sensitive to that shit)

6. Its prolly just really easy to believe those drugs induce schizophinia. I hear statistical studies, but It seems to me that the same percentage of people that go schizo after a tramatic event, is about the same as those who go schizo after a LSD trip (can be tramatic). Thats about all I really have to say on the subject.

7. Definetely ignore the guy who says schizophrenia doesn't exist and see a shrink. It's not as big of a deal as you think, I saw one for a while for depression, it's actually really nice having somebody completely neutral and unjudging to talk to. They are helpful, compassionate, and you can tell them anything.

Think about what is important to you in life (that is, what you love, not what other people love/tell you to love) and pursue it with everything you've got.

8. you can hardly compare depression to schizophrenia. from my experience i can call bullshit on both. numerous doctors told me i was depressed and in need of medication because there was no reason i should be feeling this way, despite the fact that i was watching my father die. apparently sadness in response to a sad situation isn't acceptable anymore. i feel my schizophrenic symptoms stemmed from the pressure of trying to fake normalcy through the hardest time of my life.

i can tell you what a psychologist will do. you will chit-chat and based on how open you are and what information you divulge you may gain new perspective on your life situation or you might walk out of there asking yourself why did you waste your time. therapy is only as beneficial as you make it, and i maintain the stance that you can accomplish the same goals by talking to anyone in any setting, so long as you are truthful and the person you are talking to is trustworthy and won't turn your information against you.

regardless of what you divulge, it's pretty safe to assume that you will be recommended medication. i had schizophrenic symptoms for a time and was prescribed anti-depressants and anti-psychotics. i existed as a zombie for a few weeks before i decided i would rather just have a strange mind than a tired, empty life. once the stress of life faded, so did my strange symptoms..for the most part.

life with this type of mind is all about controlling impulses and not letting fear take hold. sure, strange audio in your head is a bit unsettling, but the fact that you recognize it tells me you are in control. it's not like your considering your voices a "we" and have a personality disorder.

i can definitely sympathize with your paranoia. i too have mental illness within my genetics. sometimes it's like waiting to snap. the best advice i can give is to just keep on living life as best as you can. stop smoking weed for awhile and see if that helps. if nothing else, i bet it will calm your paranoia. i don't know if you indulge in heavier psychedelics but that's a whole 'nother can of worms in regards to lasting impressions on a strange mind.

just take it easy for awhile. don't put too much pressure on yourself or concentrate too much on the strange symptoms you are experiencing. if you concentrate on being crazy, chances are you will end up that way:p

9. I have a lot of mental illness in my family. More relatives than I can count on two hands.

I myself induced a schizophrenic psychosis two years ago through weed. Through weed I also broke through it. It wasn't so much as the weed, it was the perspective the high was giving me. When I realized that all is fear based I gradually, over the course of a month or two, got my life back. They tried to force medications on me but I knew what it was: Just numbing the feelings about the psychological complex that I had developed. It wouldn't go away, and as soon as I had a tolerance to the medication, or I stopped taking it it would go back.

A psychologist may do you some good, because talking to anyone is great.