schizophrenia

Discussion in 'General' started by bongman, Jul 9, 2003.

1. im sure everyone has heard the rumours about to much weed can cause to the mental desorder of schizophrenia.

does anyone have any solid proof for or against? any good links.

i dont wanna get fucked up down the track and i hate people who try and tell you shit like if you are at school to stop you smoking

2. WOW I've never heard that before.. I cant imagine that it actually does, I mean I know people who have toked their whole lives (practially) and are still fully functioning individuals. Nothin psycho about them... I think someone is just trying to scare you straight! LoL Just my Opinion of course!

3. If you have or have a history of any mental disorders in your family, then quit the herb right now..

It can cause psychotic episodes in those with disorders that are lying low or already functioning.. Unfortunatly, i cant give you the links, as my comp crashed a little while ago, but you can do a good search and you're sure to find something (although you can find reports saying anything).. Look for a recent australian report.. That was sound to my knowledge)..

Edit : Think about it, Its changing with your perception.. If you'll allow me, its "rewiring" as it were.. If you've ever played with something electrical for too long and fucked it up, or kept adding to a canvas until you ruin it, then you'll know what I mean.. People who have a history of schizophrenia have something like a 1/7 chance of developing it.. Or thats what my step sis has anyway.. I'd never get her high.. There is evidence to suggest that shrooms can not only trigger but also cause schizophrenia.

Make what you will of it.. Personally.. I'll be sitting here with a big ass Jay, waiting for the pigs.

-- Toked.

4. yes ...no....arhh,..l pick door 1 ,no door 3 ,arhhhhhh l now its a trick l pick door 2 ,no 3 ,no1 ,arhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,yes you did ,no l didn,t .........p.s. whats wrong with schizophrenia anyway ,at least ya always got someone to talk to :D.

5. time for bed .[​IMG]

6. if you find that report be sure to let me know, i have heard that it MAY only cause any damage after long time use, eg. 20 years so i have nothing to worry about as i havent smoked heaps and i have no family history of mental health so i think im pretty safe but i would still like some evidence in support so i can rest easy!!!!!will still probably get smashed on the weekend :)

7. My family is fuckin psycho. Heheh. For real.. no kiddin. But I'm not worried about it. I think I would notice if I were significantly changing..

8. I dont think theres a connection with mental illness, most mental illnesses are caused by either chemical imbalences or physical abnormalities..... i mean even though mj might have some chemicals in it, i dont think it the ones respondsible for mental illness, though phycology is a crazy science and i have only taken basic courses...... anyway going to light up the good stuff......

9. wow, thats evil :)

10. We and I think it's all a lie, we and I don't like lies. :D

11. Cite? I can understand triggering, but causing? That's a bold statement, you had better have some strong evidence of that.

12. i have both mild dislexia and obsessive compulsive disorder (also not to an extreme).

hope i dont get anything serious

oh well, fuck it! *loads a bowl*

13. Fuck. I dont even remember making that post, I was toasted all day yesterday. The only things i've heard about it causing schizophrenia are from certain sites (cited in a second) and from a friend of mine who used to experiment a lot with Shrooms in his youthful days and now has schizophrenia.

Sites :

http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/magicmushrooms.htm

That's the only one I can find right now, but i'll be sure to keep my eye open, as I said earlier, a whole section of my computer crashed a little while ago and I lost banks of favourites.

-- Toked.

Edit : The validaty of that site is certainly questionable.

14. thanks for that site, although it was on mushrooms it was interesting.

*sorry just got the cannabis part!!!*
    thanks mate, if you have any more links please post

15. mushrooms haven't made me crazy...

absolute bullshit. if anyone thinks that a tiny, pathetic little chemical like psylocybin is going to restructure something as complicated as my brain, reconfiguring it to such an exact state that can be recognised as schizophrenia, then I bet they work for the DEA. or my mother.

yes, drugs fuck your brain.

no, cannabis is not going to give you schizophrenia.

it may do something else to your brain.

that something else is a good thing :D

16. I've never heard of cannabis causing schizo, and if it did infact do that, then I bet the gov't would propagandize A LOT on it, and they have yet to do that. I've read lots and lots about cannabis and never came remotely close to reading anything like that.

17. I'm a diagnosed psychotic...
    Thrice actually...
    Hehehe...
    So I've already done some research on this subject...

The cause of schizophrenia is unknown...
    It's associated with a chemical imbalance in the brain (abnormal amounts of dopamine), but it is not certain that this is actually what causes a person to have schizophrenia...

It's doubtful that smoking weed causes schizophrenia, but smoking it while having schizophrenia could trigger symptoms...
    From http://www.erowid.org (about cannabis) : "can precipitate or exacerbate latent or existing mental disorders "...
    "Latent or existing" meaning that the disorder is already present...
    And although the disorder is present, it is not a CERTAIN thing that smoking weed will "precipitate or exacerbate" anything...
    Only a possibility...

It's HIGHLY recommended that if you do have a mental disorder that you do NOT use any psychoactive drugs...
    For one thing, it's uncertain how your medication will react to the drug...
    Another thing is it is uncertain how YOU will react to the drug...

Withdrawal from reality, hallucinations, thinking illogically, and delusions, are some of the symptoms of schizophrenia...
    Now... Stack the effects of your psychoactive drug of choice on top of that...
    And I'll let your imaginations finish this paragraph cause I'm too damn lazy to finish it myself...

So why do I still use such things despite a triple diagnosis???
    Ever heard of "The Savior Complex"???
    If I get to hit that part of this disorder, I'll think I am God, DESPITE my lack of faith...
    BWAHAHAHA!!!
    That's right...
    For that moment in time, I WILL BE GOD AND I WILL RULE OVER ALL, WHILE YOU WILL FOREVER BE A WEAK, MEASLY, INSIGNIFICANT, LITTLE HUMAN...
    And it doesn't matter that I won't REALLY be God, because all that will matter is what I believe in...
    What I believe in will become my reality...
    So to me, I really will be God...
    (And you will be my peon)
    :D

Besides...
    Give up Mary J?!?
    I'm psychotic...
    Not insane...
    :p

18. I am also a diagnosed Schitzophrenic........They diagnosed me with substanced induced schitzophrenia. I hate it they say if i smoke itll fuck me up, but personally i feel better when im stoned. Anyway i hate the side effects of my prescription meds. They make me not care about anything........it sucks, its a lose-lose situation......