Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Schizophrenia bullshit?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by GK420, May 14, 2011.

1. I'm sick of people saying "oh yeah cannabis is definitely dangerous, it can cause schizophrenia", and the funny thing is how they always fall back on their argument that "it can bring out underlying mental health issues in people who are likely to have it (e.g. their parents have had psychological problems such as schizophrenia in the past)". I'm sick of having to go into a full blown explanation with someone about the issue, especially when they think they're right and that's the end of it. Do you guys ever have this come up a lot when non-pot smokers find out you smoke pot? Also, the stupid UK Drugs Line crap says that they have a massive amount of calls come in from people who report having drug induced psychosis caused by marijuana. We've had a woman come into school twice from Drugs Line and come up with a bunch of crap like that, and also saying "boys, did you know that when you smoke cannabis you are 70% more likely to develop testicular cancer?" Clearly this is 100% bullshit, but where do these people honestly get it from? She says she's had years of experience (and problems) with cannabis and pot delaers, and if this is true then surely she'd want to ACTUALLY help people instead of feed them crap? I hate when people use their own experiences with drugs as some kind of basis for everyone's experiences with those drugs. Do you actually think this woman has ever even held a joint before, let alone gone through all the crap she told us? The second time we saw her, she even took the time to tell us about her close friend who had people shit in his mouth and tell everyone else in the prison he was a child molester, just because he smoked their cannabis and didn't give them any back. So yeah, I'm just sick to the teeth of people feeding off of propaganda like it's the word of God or something.

2. Getting schizophrenia from weed is most likely not going to happen. The chances are 1 in a million. But I did know a kid who got EXTREMELY shcizophrenic from smoking. I just told him to stop but he didn't want to. In a few months he was completely insane. So it depends on the person. Some people just shouldn't smoke weed. But getting any mental illness from weed is really rare.

3. Its un-provable in theory, that's why they say it. And its accepted by a lot of people so they just run with it to ruin the image of weed

Who wants to risk such a horrible mental illness? But its mental, so how can they show evidence to back up that claim?

Mental health organisations worldwide have said the numbers of people being diagnosed have been pretty much the same over the last 50 years, but then we are being told that cannabis is more potent than ever, so...

• Like Like x 1

4. Especially when the causes of schizophrenia are unknown anyway.

5. well i dont think weed and schizophrenia are related but i do think some people should not smoke because they cant handle it.

i know a girl who i hung out with fairly often last summer and we would smoke but every time we smoked, she'd start hearing "people". i know, it sounds confusing. we went to the beach one day & smoked a blunt right there on the sand. before her third hit, she's getting up walking up to other beach-goers asking them if they've seen her cousin Lucy (Lucy didnt even come to the beach that day) ; she also said she heard her boyfriend and she was running into the ocean to look for him. i had to have my ex go grab her, put her over his shoulder, and carry her back to the towel. another time, i invited her to come to my co-workers birthday party. we smoked in the car before the party and as we're going into the elevator, she fucking flips saying she needs to go outside to look for her sister (whos 45+ miles away in another city).
    i tried to put up a fight with her to keep her from going outside, but i just got frustrated and let her roam - long story short, we found her at 2AM walking down an abandoned train track where crack fiends shoot up :cool:

safe to say i've kept my distance from her and i actually think she took my advice and stopped smoking.

6. It doesn't cause schizophrenia... I was reading a pretty interesting guide to the brain and our nervous section and basically, from memory, it said something along the lines of:

Around 5% of the population possess a variation of the gene ...........(can't remember the gene name), but smoking cannabis heavily can cause a variation in this gene, which can increase chances of developing schizophrenia by around 500%.

Which, in reality, isn't even that much...but still. If it runs in your family i don't think its worth the risk.

7. #7 GutteralShiva, May 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2011
    I hate when people try and preach that cannabis is completely harmless like it's the word of god or something.

8. A million to 1? Don't make stuff up lol.

There's good info about schizophrenia and cannabis in the medical marijuana section on here if you're interested, I'm not sure you can get angry at people like DARE/Drug Line or whatever, it's like getting mad at religious people. Just move on. I'm schizo-affective and I've smoked a lot of weed, it's done nothing but help.

9. None of those %'s mean anything, it's not accurate (obviously). They are getting those numbers from small studies that I sure as hell don't trust. If you read something online pertaining to medical issues it's usually best to make sure it's a peer reviewed study or has links to one that can support their findings or it's probably a load of shit, especially when it's about marijuana.

10. #10 The Audion, May 14, 2011
    It isn't bullshit. However, I think studies that show this link are skewed because people who smoked cannabis were actually attempting to self medicate for their schizo symptoms. And remember, correlation does not imply causation.

And whats interesting is that while THC is the chemical that seems to cause psychosis and schizophrenia, CBD has shown to be as effective as other anti psychotic medication.

honestly, I do worry about shit like this, which is why I try not to smoke every day, multiple times a day. Its easy for me, at least.

11. Well yeah clearly you can't put accurate percentages on something that's fairly qualititative, but as Guttral said above, cannabis isn't a completely benign plant and it can bring out underlying mental illnesses in people who may or may not have developed them had they not smoked marijuana.

Its a drug, just like the rest of them.

12. whats this I have here? :eek:

13. You guys are all saying this when you don't even know lol

Go look at the peer reviewed links in the medical marijuana forum like I said if you want the CORRECT information on this subject.

And what gutteral said is just a broad statement about marijuana (and he is correct) but it doesn't specifically pertain to this, and if that's what he was talking about when he made that statement than he would be wrong. You can see why he's wrong in those links :wave:

14. #15 imadamnlegend, May 14, 2011
    Right...So those are automatically correct,whilst other scientific studies that state otherwise are incorrect?

This is just one example that found around 13percent of those with schizophrenia had a history of cannabis use, which was more than double the rate of the control group. Also note that cannabis abuse almost always preceded the first positive symptoms of schizophrenia.

The comparison of the onset of cannabis abuse and of the first (prodromal) symptoms of schizophrenia differentiated three approximately equal groups of patients: group 1 had been abusing cannabis for several years before the first signs of schizophrenia emerged, group 2 experienced the onset of both disorders within the same month, and group 3 had started to abuse cannabis after the onset of symptoms of schizophrenia.

From the above paragraph we can see three possible interpretations of cannabis use and schizophrenia, and all may be correct in certain individuals:

1. Heavy long term use gradually brings out an underlying schizophrenia (or maybe even causes it directly after chronic long term use? Just postulating here.)
    2. Initial cannabis use immediately triggers an underlying schizophrenic condition.
    3. Schizophrenics self medicate.

Don't tell me that "I don't know" when it is clearly you that needs to take a step back and look at all the evidence. Whilst no direct links have yet to be established please don't assume that cannabis is perfectly safe and always helps schizophrenics.

Informa Healthcare - Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry - 34(3):468 - Summary

Here are the conclusions drawn from the study:

Group 1 might suffer from the chronic deteriorating influence of cannabis reducing the vulnerability threshold and/or coping resources.
    Group 2 consists of individuals which are already vulnerable to schizophrenia. Cannabis misuse then is the (dopaminergic) stress factor precipitating the onset of psychosis.
    Group 3 uses cannabis for self-medication against (or for coping with) symptoms of schizophrenia, particularly negative and depressive symptoms

15. the word of "god" is more harmful than just about anything IMO

16. #17 TexRx, May 14, 2011
    Schizzophrenia is much more likely to be caused by bad genetics in the human, not from cannabis plants

I have a chemical imbalance [in my brain] and weed is one of the only intoxicants I can enjoy w/o it creating problems for me.... otherwise only some good beers every once in a while

I need a prescription for cannabis, not a restriction from it

I'd loose all my money to bills and food If I moved to south central L.A. ~ make it legal for me [in N. Texas] to conversate w/ my doctor(s) and allow them to decide for me....what would be best for me is a few vaporized bowls of High Grade Cannaibis ~ every day...and a couple more vape hits a day if I want 'em....If I wish ya know? That's what my prescription should be..... ~ p e a c e ~

:)

17. My ex is schizo effective bi-polar

The bite scar on my hand can attest to the fact that

Weed isnt always good for mentally unstable people.

Im sure you can argue with me.

But that wont make my scar go away now will it?

18. we don't know how many schizophrenics would have never gotten the illness without the use of cannabis. That's the most important statistic and I believe it's impossible to determine.

19. It isnt bullshit. Face reality. Cannabis is not 100% harmless