Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Schizo :(

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by ziggzag420, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Sup everyone, got a little problem.. I found out very recently that ive got schizophrenia on both sides of the family, i knew it was in the family, but i thought it was only on one side, turns out both of my parents have schizo in the family, now ive heard marijuana use can increase the risk of getting schizophrenia.. Especially if youre genetically inclined. Just looking for an opinion before i talk to a physician, last thing i want is a mental issue, as much as i am a fan of bud, im more so a fan of sanity, and truth be told, after hearing this news, im pretty scared. Advice? Thoughts? Anything would be appreciated, thanks guys

2. Health > Weed

I've read that mj can cause mental issues to come to light earlier in life compared to those that don't smoke. Not sure how accurate this is since I don't have any published articles off hand. I also don't believe many studies have been done on the subject period.

3. If you're gonna get schizophrenia anyway you might as well be high talking to yourself.

4. Weed wont cause it. If it causes you problems and you get it, you were going to end up with it either way. It's not about "should I stop so I can be sane?" but "should I stop to buy myself a little more time of sanity before it starts?"

Granted, that's worst case scenario. No way to say for sure you'll end up getting it or not. Also no way of knowing how severe it might be if you did come down with it. Most people think once you get it you straight go crazy but there are plenty of people with it who live fairly normal lives and it's more of just an annoyance than anything.

I'm usually not a big fan of pharmaceuticals, but shiz. medication has come a LONG way. Best of luck

5. Dude.. did you hear that?

6. Well.. definitely talk to a physician.

If you have it on both sides of the family then be careful.. take it easy.

By that I mean don't smoke too much at one time and don't smoke everyday. Try to also be more aware of what your smoking.. different strains could fuck you over.

If something seems wrong then stop smoking. Maybe try again after awhile but just be aware is all if not everything is right then don't smoke more.

I don't know how old you are but you could be under 18 and if you are then take it especially easy.. I would maybe wait until early 20s to start smoking. Mid 20s would be best cause your brains then good to go.

Just don't smoke too much.. don't freak out while smoking thinking you could lose it.. stay chill. And be smart about it.

That sucks though man, hopefully you will be able to continue smoking moderately. Don't do any psychellics for sure until mid 20s and even then very small amounts (Just saying cause lots of people experiment with them and far too many take them for granted)

7. #8 ziggzag420, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Could you elaborate? Never heard this before

8. Really, I dont think it causes it, there are a number of studies done saying it does not cause schizophrenia.

The most solid information they have with cannabis and schizophrenia are merely a correlation in people who happen to start smoking when they also contract it, which doctors argue would happen regardless of their cannabis use. This would be less than 1% of cannabis users and does not mean it is a cause for schizophrenia, coincidence? most likely

Granny Storm Crow's List-

Click that link, and ctrl-f and type schiz to see the information and studies done on it and decide for yourself. I would tell you to scroll, but that list is fairly long.

Heres a good one

So they are calling it a neuroprotectant....it seems to me that people with schizophrenia might be more prone to use it because of it's neural protective nature. I thought schizophrenia has something to do with that fluid/space in the center of your brain that gets larger and larger. Perhaps I am wrong, but believe what you will, I dont think it does.

9. Yeah.. I don't think certain strains play more of a role than other.. Maybe certain strains with higher THC content?

10. From someone who is Schizo trust me it's not that bad.

11. If you go Schizo just use your brian power to fuck it up, it'll leave, trust me man,

trust me. :cool:

12. If I ever contracted it or was told that I had it, I would smoke even more weed.

13. STOP SMOKING WEED.

seriously, if you're diagnosed, smoking weed and most definitely the higher qualities of weed, will bring out your psychotic tendencies.

even that fake shit, dont go near a smoke shop. the scientifically created herb and everything.

take it from me, really. one day you'll go batshit on a friend and attack them and not even realize it till 15 minutes later.

once i objectively realized the effects it had on my behavior before and after, there was really no deliberation on whether to continue the use or not.

14. i had no idea scizophrenia was genetic..

15. Millions of people have schizophrenia, its just the people who listen to the voices, and then take medication for it, in which makes yourself NEED that medication otherwise you will go 'crazy'... so just ignore them and don't take medication for it.

16. Sometimes weed is health though :confused_2:

17. #18 takeahithun, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    that might be the worst advice ever lmao

18. It's waht my psychology teacher said about schizophrenia, and a few studies I have read on it.

19. ahhaha

HEY, STOP IT.