Scary's first outdoor grow/journal (bagseed, 1 plant)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Scary Hairy, May 25, 2011.

1. This is my first plant that i'm growing from seed.
    I've never grown a plant although i have helped friends with research on growing, so i decided to try it out since i found a good seed.

I'll be posting pics often, hopefully i'll get some advice in the process.
    I'm open to any suggestions or comments.
    :smoke:

Pictures taken around 5:00PM, May, 10, 2011.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 week later
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i added some alfalfa grass to fill the bucket up a little more... i realized i should have used a bit more soil.
    The main stem is looking strong and thick, everything looks great and green.
    I'm definitely getting excited to find out if it's a female!

Another week later

[​IMG]
    Other pics :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It looks like bugs have eaten pieces of the leaves...
    Can anyone tell what kind of bugs are eating my plant?

2. There are so many bugs that can eat your leaf, Bet that the critter is sitting in that alf alfa, I would take the hay out and check cause under it can be a home for a bunch of new bugs. put a circle of salt around the bucket or a tuna can with beer near it and see if any slugs are in the next morning, that can be the culprit. overall nice looking plant, I got a bagseed Afgan strain im hoping will be female too

3. Thanks for the info, i'll just remove the alfalfa grass.
    It's weird because i don't ever see any bugs on the plant when i check up on it.
    I just fimmed it, so i'll be posting pics next week of the new growth :smoke:
    Good luck with your Afghan.

4. Ok so i removed the alfalfa grass and i found what we call a pincher bug
    [​IMG]
    Is this the bug that's been eating my plant?
    This was the only bug i found under the alfalfa grass.

5. Well that is a beneficial insect, And also an insect that will eat your plants if there not big enough, Honestly I would let that guy stay in there and just clip off the very bottom leaves and let them sit in there so he can eat them. He will keep other bugs out. You just have to make sure he can't get the any foliage, They don't like to climb cause they have an issue moving backwords. Hence the name "Earwig" They get stuck in ear canals and can't back out. Don't sleep on the ground they love earwax lol.

I think that he was just trimming your bottom leaves for you ;]

6. OH and as long as the hay stays out he wont be able to reach the foliage.

7. haha i took him out, i wasn't sure if he was the problem or not.

It probably could have climbed up the bucket from the soil onto a leaf that was resting on the side of the bucket... just guessing.
    The problem started after i put the hay in, so i'll leave it out for now.

8. Pics will be posted on Monday.
    After that i'll take pics every 2 weeks.

I did my first FIM job yesterday, also started adding ferts with 10-10-5 npk ratio, so i hope it all goes well.
    The plant seems to be responding (in a good way) to the ferts.

oh and before i forget again.. i forgot to mention that i will be experimenting with a little LST.
    When my plant was a seedling, i tied the main stem down at almost a 90 degree angle, left it for 2 days. it seems to have made the stock really thick/strong.
    Today i decided to tie it down again and will be leaving it for another two days.

9. Thats a realy nice looking plant you got yourself, i realy hope she turns out to be a female for you its got some nice growth going on.

i hate earwigs lol just the thought of having one of those bastards stuck in my ear makes me cringe

cant wait for the new pics tho, il be sticking around for this grow, the nutes will be good for it, just make sure you mix the proper amount in the water. more isnt better :p

10. Thanks!
    I started out using 1/2 tablespoon to 1 gallon.

If the bug problem gets worse i might have to move my plant or find out how to rid of the pests, but i'm guessing i need to find out what kind of bugs are eating it first.

11. It seems like after i removed the hay from the top of the soil, there are no more bugs... so far.

Again... pics will be posted Monday :smoke:

12. good looking plant there

13. Thanks she's looking even better now that i moved her to a better place with less bugs...
    Damned gnats!

Speaking of gnats, anyone know other ways to keep them away? I'm running out of spots to move my plant! lol :cool:

14. Good luck man, I'll be checking up on this.

15. Thanks, welcome to my first grow journal.

To everyone following my journal, i may have another seed coming!!

One of my friends came by to visit and he had a seed in his bag and he didn't want it, so he gave it to me.
    The weed he had was a light green with purple speckles, not too bad.
    I wouldn't mind growing similar weed.

I'll post updates if it sprouts!

16. Neem Oil is probably one of the best things to give your plants when there outside, it will make the Bug puke and they won't return. For the gnats you just spray them and the soil. You can get some lady bugs from your yard and put them on your plant also. There's an amazing Sticky on the Forums :]

http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/595036-freakbros-pest-plant-pit-stop.html

With the neem oil you want to spray it on while there in the shade and let it sit for an hour and then give the plant a good rinse cause the oil can burn in the sun. The stuff smells like roasted nuts and Butt juice so be warned lol.

17. I actually already read that thread right after i asked my question.
    Thanks for reminding me about it.

It says to use some type of food spray containing pyrethrin.
    If the bug problem gets worse i may have to get some, but right now it's looking all good.

About the ladybugs, i always find them in my yard and put them on my plant in hopes that they they will stay on my plant for a while, but they usually fly away after a day or so. I plan on going to OSH and buying a can of live ladybugs, at some point.

18. If you get Pyrethrin make sure it's Organic cause the Chem version is not just poison to bug it's poison to animals. They used to use it in Flea shampoo and they had such high doses of it, it was making the dogs sick. Most of it is now Organic in Oregon where I live now. Praying mantis are always awesome to have hanging around. For a few buck on the net u can get a bunch of them and they will chill in your yard all summer till they start to die off.
    That's one of the nicest looking Bagseeds I've seen in a while. I'm hoping this one I planted turns out to be a female. Came out of some Afgan that was crossed with something else.

19. Thanks for the tips, wouldn't want my dog getting sick!

I don't remember what strain my seed came from, all i remember was it was pretty decent pot.
    It's possible that it could be a kush, blue dream, or even a gdp strain 'cause that's what i was buying at the time i found the seed.

20. Nice, Looks like it will turn out very nice.