Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Scared to go to a dispensary.. advice??

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by AliciaRose, Jan 18, 2018.

1. So I have extreme social anxiety and paranoia. I recently moved to Colorado and want to visit a dispensary, but I’m super nervous. I’m afraid the employees would judge me and I would get so nervous from not knowing what to expect I might have an anxiety attack. I always bought from my friends boyfriend, someone I knew very well. I would never buy from someone else because I was afraid of being judged and made fun of.

My husband just deployed and I’m really depressed and anxious all the time, so I want something other than my prescription pills to help me feel more at ease. Can anyone tell me what it’s like to go into a dispensary and maybe make me feel more relaxed about the whole thing? Thank you :)

• Like Like x 4
  2. Just explain your situation to them exactly like you did to us.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Like going to your local pharmacists. With the major difference being that the patrons cover a much wider range of age. All walks of life smoke herb. Try delivery services if you don't want to make an appearance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. When I visited Colorado I was a bit nervous too. I went super early to try and avoid a crowd, that helped cause I was the only one there.

Right when I walked in a guy behind a window asked for my ID, he looked it over and buzzed the door to the back. When I went in everyone working in back was laughing and stuff, I bet it's a fun job.

The budtender guy met me at the counter, asked for what I wanted... I went online and looked at their menu before I went so I wouldn't fumble around... asked for an Oz of what I wanted, paid him, he bagged it up and I was on my way.

It was very easy, and I didn't feel weird. It's like your going there to get weed to smoke. It's a givin so they shouldn't judge, he'll they're working there lol. Just keep that in mind.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 3
  5. The police here will literally airseal your weed as long as it is under legal rec limit or card limit. Hillarious hasnt happened to me but someone told me it happened when they went to the drunk tank. When you are released they give it back with your belongings.

• Like Like x 2
  6. I agree with being upfront with your budtender... say hello, and state that you are feeling anxiety about your first visit...

Doing the prep work by checking the menu before your visit may help you... seems like the large number of choices on most menus are overwhelming...

Do you ever write a grocery list to help you stay on track while shopping? It can help you feel centered when becoming overwhelmed...

Maybe even a phone call before visiting to ask about the quietest times to come in... tell them you experience anxiety and would like to avoid a large number of customers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I've never had the privilege to go to one but I'd be a little nervous too. Anyone would their first time. It's a new and exciting experience. But it's a good one! You should have butterflies in your stomach. The people there are stoners so they're far more than likely going to be friendly, chill, and understanding of new customers as they likely get them all the time. The legal weed world at least recreationally in the US is still VERY young.

Like the other blades suggested, definitely take a look online at the menu and see what you want beforehand. Make a day out of it if you have to. Eat a good breakfast, listen to music you like, treat yourself to whatever it takes to ease your mind and then head over to the dispensary. Nobody is out to judge you, they're just doing their job (part of which is dealing with customers so being friendly is incentivised) or just buying some weed themselves.

I used to have pretty bad social anxiety but it helped me quite a bit to understand that other people are concerning themselves with how everyone else perceives them. They're not putting that much thought into how they view other people. I'm aware it's a complex problem but just saying that resonated with me and helped. Of course in your case it sounds a lot worse so if you don't already, you'd be best taking advice from a psychologist.

Sorry if that got a bit negative or rambly. But hope it helped.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Along with what everyone has said, take an experienced friend with you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thank you and your husband for your sacrifice in serving our country. Anxieties are rising all around but you are fortunate to live in a state that allows both recreational and medicinal use; not so here. I imagine the experience in visiting a dispensary will be rather overwhelming but I'm sure the bud tenders will be patient and helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wow, thanks everyone for being so awesome and understanding! I've decided to go Friday, since I have the day off. I found a dispensary about an hour away that lets you place your order online and then go in and pick it up. Seems less intimidating that way so the hour drive seems worth it haha. Oddly enough, my only two friends I have here are both cops, and while they are okay with weed legality, they don't want anything to do with it and I doubt they would come along. Plus I would feel really judged by them, so I'm on my own! I also tend to prefer busy places because I don't feel like all the attention is on me. I know, I'm super nitpicky about social situations.

I'll let everyone know how it goes :)

Also, thank you The Gorn! We appreciate your support!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Like others above me have said, explain essentially this to them, and that you are looking for a strain, or strains, suited to anxiety and paranoia issues specifically. I almost guarantee you that they will have multiple options suited just for you in that area. Also, as someone who also suffers from at times debilitating anxiety, there's no need to worry about going into a shop. Every one that I've been to, they have been nice, attentive, totally non-judgemental, and informative. You may just wind up greatly enjoying the experience. Hope all works out!

jah!/*d$*:smoking:

12. Have it delivered dude.

• Like Like x 1
  13. In my experiences they're always helpful and polite at dispensaries I've been to. They're very informative and can help you find the strain that's right for you if you tell them how you're feeling and how you want to feel. Not only can they narrow it down to medicinal benefits of certain strains but also offer a wide variety of flavors to choose from, ranging from chocolate to cheese to berries! It's like being a kid in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory!
    :smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  14. You go in.

Look at the menu.

Pick what you want.

Leave.

The "budtenders" are basically like awesome stoners. If you want MORE than the legally allowed amount, they'll walk you through the process. If you have any questions they are glad to help.

15. Don't be nervous. Anxiety is a common reason why people use weed. You will not be the first person who's gone in there wanting help or questions about it. You won't be the first person that hour. Many of the budtenders will use weed for the same reason as you. Nobody's going to judge you.

16. You're worried about other stoners whose job is to sell weed, judging you for being a stoner because you bought weed.....makes no sense at all if you think about for a minute

• Like Like x 1
  17. #17 jay719, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    First, Welcome to Colorado.
    Just about everyone working in our dispensaries are also smokers. My bud tender was so damn high she couldn't hold her eyes open last week. So no one will be judging you for the fact that you smoke. Keep in mind one important thing, you are not doing anything wrong or illegal. Everywhere we go in life there is the potential for judgement. Be a good person, be confident in who you are regardless of what others think, and learn to say screw them if they don't like you.

The dispensary process goes like this:
    You walk in to a waiting area where I.D. is checked. Dispensaries are only allowed to have so many customers in the back area at one time, so you may have to wait a few minutes in a lobby area. There may be others in the lobby, and like any other public place you are likely to see a wide variety of individuals. Everything from your typical young stoner, to businessmen, to someone who looks like your grandmother. Once it is your turned you will be allowed in tot he back area where the actual products and cash register is located. The bud tenders will ask you what you are interested in, possibly let you know about specials and answer any questions that you may have about the product. Like any other industry you will come across some very knowledgeable bud tenders, some not so much, and some that are the stereotypical dumb stoner. Normally all will have a basic idea of effects of indica and sativa, and how various products effect you such as edibles, wax, flower, and so on. Advanced conversations are where some tend to falter. Once you make your selection they will place your product in containers or bags, normally sealed. You walk out just like you are leaving the 7-11 and go home to do your thing. Other than getting ID'd and waiting in a lobby it is just like going to any other store.

Once you leave the store, don't be opening products immediately. Do not use them in the parking lot. Most important, don't use them while driving. Leave anything in the sealed container in which it came until you get home, because open products can be perceived the same as an open container of alcohol. To further avoid any chance of police being able to argue use while driving, put the product out of reach in an area such as a glove box or center console.

18. That isn't legal in Colorado. Still happens on the black market, but not through legit shops.

• Informative Informative x 1