saying no on an application to "may we contact this employer?"

Discussion in 'General' started by speechless, Jan 22, 2011.

1. i worked at my most recent job from august '10-december '10. i was hired as a seasonal, but since i was such a good employee (damn right) they decided to keep me as a permanent associate. there was one mishap, and said mishap got me fired.

i desperately need a new job, because i need to pay for my general expenses as well as save up for a place. when filling out an application, should i leave out that experience entirely, or check no when it asks "may we contact this employer"? my dad told me i should leave it out entirely. part of me agrees, because i think it would be application suicide to say "no,", as that's rather sketchy. i don't want there to be a huge gap from my job before that (december '08-august '10) to now, though. what do you think i should do?

2. I would definitely leave it out.

Generally if you got fired from a job, you shouldn't leave it as a reference ;)

3. i would list the job. thats a pretty large gap in employment if you dont list it. i learned in a stupid career seminar we had to take at school that nowadays employers arent hiring people with large gaps in employment history just because those people are likely to not be as skilled as some one who has always worked (not sure i agree with this though).

i wouldnt list that you were fired though. i think if this new employer calls the old one the only thing the old one can confirm is the dates you worked there, not why or why not you were a good employee. i may be wrong about this though

4. You can say no but list the job at least

I had a job last year that ended so bad I wont even list it

5. A previous employer, BY LAW, is only allowed to state whether or not you worked there, and the time frame.

6. really? so if op checks yes and is denied a job because of a less then glowing talk with the previous employer there is rights being violated?

also OP, what did you do?

7. it was a combination of me dating my coworker (against company policy) and enabling my assistant manager's constant shoplifting by saying nothing.

8. I wouldn't leave out the experience because experience is mainly what gets you the job. If the mishap wasn't something that you believe wouldn't get you hired, I would say that they can contact the employer, because not all places will bother contacting (even though a lot do). Otherwise, you could always just check off "no" and see what happens, but I don't think that's a good idea either.

9. oh i see, there are way worse things to be fired over...maybe try and get a landscaping job or something like that where those "offenses" wont matter for a little while, then once they like you if you can't stand the job politely give three weeks notice and leave. you will walk away with a brand new glowing reference and the ability to check yes next time.

10. Say no. If they ask why, say he died.

11. i would leave the job out instead of checking the "no" box..

that's pretty shady imo.. i don't think i'd hire you if i didn't have permission to contact your reference

12. #12 DV, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
    I think it depends on if you're cool with that boss.

Take me for example.

I worked for this place in the mall for 1 year. It was
    great until the economy crashed and my sales were
    low. For a looong time. The DM did not like me because
    he told me to sell a womans watch to a man. First off,
    I'm not going to lie to my customers saying that it's a
    mens watch and also, the damn watch was always too
    small to fit on any guy unless they were damn skinny.

My manager knew there was nothing I could do, I mean
    traffic was so slow. I had maybe 2 people a day in an 8 hr
    shift...it was that slow...

Anyways...a few months later, I had broken over a 1000
    dollars worth of merchandise. I didn't have to pay for it
    or anything. That was a mess up on my part and I'd
    probably still be working there if that hadn't happened.

(fuck that day sucked. One of those things where you
    play it over and over in your head and see that it was
    a complete freak accident.)

The kicker is that same DM made sure to fire me on the
    day he got fired. He had his reason, just what he needed
    all along. There was nothing my boss could do about it.
    He was just a fucking dick. My boss was ticked but his
    hands were tied.

To this day I still use my boss and assistant manager
    as references even though I got fired. They always give
    me a glowing reference. "She was great with customers,
    always energetic and fun." You know they tell me what
    they say if someone calls, so funny.

OP, at least list it and if you say no, it's not application
    suicide. Just make sure you have decent references and
    it won't really matter because it's no one's business but
    yours and the past employers. Past employers can not
    discuss why you were fired or anything besides saying
    you worked there.

13. Well I wouldn't hire you. Employees are one of the more likely suspects in shoplifting cases. And because of that also raise prices for customers.