Save my Buds! Day 48 of flower.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by kavalier, Aug 18, 2011.

1. First of all, I just wanna thank all the experts and amateurs on this site. I'm a first time grower and grasscity has been an invaluable resource throughout every stage of the process.

Now on to the matter at hand: what the hell's the matter with my plants?
    Heat stress?
    Potassium deficiency?
    Just the natural die-off process?

At first I thought it was just heat stress as the buds most effected are the ones directly under the bulb. Plus, my cabinet's kinda small and the tops are closer to the 250w than I would like.

But dig that leaf. Classic potassium deficiency right? I've been feeding them 9 ml/gal of GH FloraBloom, plus they got a little extra shot of KoolBloom a couple times so they should be getting enough K.

So I'm stumped. The first pic is from a week ago when just the leaf tips were a little brown and crispy. The others were taken today and, as you can see, the problem's getting worse. They've still got at least 3 weeks left til I chop 'em and I'd hate for them to get progressively worse til then.

Thanks for your help, y'all.

Attached Files:

2. Maybe needs more magnesium

3. for day 48 of flower, they look right on track with the yellowing off. that's what the dying of leaves is. you mention they have so many days left till they're done. how are you gauging that? are you checking the trichomes? if you have an indica dom strain, you look about on track. they take a good 2 months....

4. The breeder info says they take 10 weeks to flower so I'm basing my timeline off that. I'm keeping an eye on the trich's though in case I need to harvest 'em early.

I was hoping the yellowing is just the dying off process but the rusty brown spots and crispy burnt tips still concern me. You think it's heat stress or am I having nutrient problems?

Appreciate the responses.

5. Any chance you over fed them?

6. #6 abrooks71, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2011
    Deficiencies aren't always caused by a lack of the paticular nutriant. There could be plenty of potasium available, its just "locked out" for one reason or another, usually do to a ph problem or a high salt levels. To be honest it looks like nutrient burn to me. They are a little far into bud to do a foliar feed imo. I would suggest flushing the hell out of them with plain water, then giving them a VERY light feeding. Then again with only three weeks of flowering left you should be starting your flush soon anyway.

7. really have to take breeder info. with a couple grains of salt. they have mondo experience growing out their own strains, and have a near perfect environment.....

8. I see all the ferts and whatnot you putting in but nothing about your starting water quality, PH balancing or monthly flushing? (don't confuse monthly flush with the final flush 2weeks prior to harvest)

As the other guy said, over-fertilization, toxic buildup of fertilizer salts or improper PH is my diagnosis as well. You need to flush, flush, flush with plain RO or distilled water PH balanced. 2gals of water for every 1 gal of medium.
    You can put all the K in the world in, if the PH isnt right, not only will the plant not use it, but if you don't flush monthly, it will toxify the soil because of to much of it, which is what i think you have done...

9. Nothing :) plant's always look like fucking hell towards the end of flowering i know your not there yet but your close, you may have a bit of mag deff and nute burn but to be honest nothing to worry about.

Taking into consideration you have a Indica dominant they look fine day 48 is close to finishing for indicas i would say maybe another 2 to 3 weeks at the most if your picky.

10. Your going to see some bellowing at this stage, don't worry too much.

11. What I see in those pictures does not look like normal, healthy pre-harvest nitrogen depletion. The crispy, curled brown leaves are a dead give away for nute burn. My main concern would be that if you do nothing with 3 weeks to go your plants will suffer in yield and quality as they won't be able to get certain nutes they need. Once your plants get to this point there are nutes that have been locked out and are now unavailable. If you don't flush them asap it's only going to get worse and will effect your end result. just my opinion. But for future reference what you are seeing is not normal and healthy. My plants look "healthy" right up to the day of harvest, they should never look like hell at any point.

12. #12 Skunky Monkey, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2011
    I didn't mean do nothing for 3 weeks in my post i said they have a mag deff and nute burn and someone else mentioned flushing sooo that's been coverd.

And they don't "look healthy up to the day of harvest" they look like shit because there coming to the end of there life, and his plant's partially look like that because of problems nute burn ect... but also because it's a indica dominant and is nearing it's end.

Your plant's might look healthy because your either harvesting to early ;) OR possibly genetics but from my years of growing and seeing other peoples grow most cannabis plant's start to yellow crisp when there nearly finished so do most plant's

13. Calm down there Monkey, wasnt trying to rattle your cage. I just didnt want the guy to believe that what he was seeing is "normal" or "healthy" I flower my girls out 11+ weeks typicaly (depending on the strain and the type of high I want) You are correct that plants will lose some of their luster close to harvest, but they should never look sick, imo.

14. Sorry man we have a bit of a misunderstanding :) i know you weren't trying to do that man i mentioned Nute burn and stuff i ment it wasn't normal to look like that but they will look a bit funky towards the end dead leaves ect.. in my case fucking weird mutant leaves :laughing: sounds like your getting lucky with some genetics man i grew juicy fruit once and dam it looked fricking alien man :p This is how that variant turns out [​IMG]

It's all down to genetics man.:)

15. Peace. Buds look great

16. looks like too much phosphorous to me

17. So for the past two days I've been flushing them with 24 hour aged tap water ph'd to around 5.8 (no access to RO and don't wanna haul 10 gallons of distilled back from the Walgreens.) Starting tomorrow, they'll be getting half strength nutes (approx. 5ml/gal GH FloraBloom) for a few days, then I'm going to start their final flush for the last two weeks or so. Does this seem like a reasonable course of action? Should I add anything else (epsom salts?, cal/mag?) or is it pretty much too late at this point?

Also, if the breeder info can't be entirely trusted, how do I know when to start my final flush? Right now I'm sticking with the 10 week schedule but the trichomes are still almost entirely clear so I don't know if I should hold off. How long does the transition from clear to cloudy to amber usually take?

For those that are curious, here's some more details about the grow. Strain is Silver Bubble. Grown in coco with 24 hour aged tap water in a drip system. Everything that goes in is ph'd to around 5.8. Up til two days ago they had never been flushed.

Consensus seems to be that they're suffering from nute burn so anybody got any ideas how I could've done that? Their diet had been pretty steady and everything was looking great up until this shit started happening. Like I said, they had a couple shots of KoolBloom liquid but it wasn't even that heavy a dose, certainly nowhere close to Rezdog's recommendation.

Anyway, despite these burnt leaves, I think a lot of the buds look pretty dope. Overall I'm mostly satisfied with my first grow so far and am itchin' to take my experiences into round two.

Thanks again for your help, guys. Oh and one more thing, how do you think this burning issue is gonna affect the overall result? My primary concern is quality and taste, so if they get a thorough two week flush even after these problems are they still gonna taste delicious?

18. #18 masterlights, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2011
    dude that plant does not look like that bc of genetics! HAHA that plant got NUKED.look at those leaves.HAHA holy shit thats funny..buds look good though LOL amazing

as for the kid who posted this thread that isnt normal..looks like a bit overfeeding.i would do a flush and like the one guy said do a light feed.do you use cal mag??

coco uses a shitload of calcium and magnesium so def use that supplement with coco.you should be fine after the flush.i usually get signs of burn around week 5 or 6 bc the nutes get built up and the salts get built up and if you feed every time they can get burnt easy.you just have to kinda play with it and tune the grow as each grow passes..you ll get the hang..coco is super awsome.