Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Sativa and Indica edibles- is there really a difference?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Lebowski, Mar 19, 2014.

1. #1 Lebowski, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
    I've been trying to work through a conundrum recently.

I don't think there can be sativa edibles and indica edibles. I'm pretty sure THC is THC is THC, and it doesn't matter what plant it came from, an edible is going to feel like an edible. 

What we know is that sativas feel different than indicas because of the small amounts of terpenes found in the plant. Inhaled, these terpenes have psychoactive effect that modulates the THC high in different ways.

The other thing I know is that while terpenes are active at low inhaled doses, they are not active at low eaten doses. Eating 10 thousandths of a gram of limonene can't produce a change in psychoactivity, while inhaling that same dose can.

Given that, what is it that would make an edible sativa?

On top of that, orally consumed THC gets in large part converted to 11-hydroxy-THC via liver metabolism. It is well understood that 11-hydroxy-THC is sedative, there's no way around that. It doesn't matter if your THC is sourced from a sativa, it will be mostly converted to 11-OH-THC and be sedative.

I think some edibles labelled "sativa" are just a lower dose of THC, therefore making the effect seem lighter. I don't think there is an actual difference between edibles labelled sativa or indica other than dose.

Anyone have any thoughts or care to prove me wrong?

2. #2 Lebowski, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
    Nobody? Out of 250 views...

This forum is damn worthless sometimes.

3. #3 Honest American, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2014
    There is already some posts about this in the forum.

I personally don't know and have only made sativa edibles so far.

4. I tried search terms, but searching for "edible sativa indica" returns everything and anything, they're not specific enough.

If anyone has a link to a thread discussing this issue, please share!

5. I dunno. I've made edibles from ISS and from Hindu Kush, and I could definitely tell the Sativa influence from the ISS versus the Hindu Kush. However, the predominate effect was the typical drunk-like feeling that I get from edibles.

6. I don't think there is much of a distinction between Sativa & Indica edibles, to be honest. If you consider what they're mostly made of, which is extracted cannabis in some form or another...it's all similar.

Whether or not the terpenes make much of a distinction in edibles is a mystery to me.

Everything is getting better everyday.

7. Cannabis has more compounds than just THC that affect the high.  Sativas vs indicas have different ratios of these compounds and the way they interact w/ one another is bound to have an affect on the high. 

I've had cannabis oil that has giving me a real trippy feel, with not much body high, then had some that gave me an amazing body high, but not much on the mental part. 

• Like Like x 1
  8. If you know what you're doing in the extraction then you get the specific characteristics of the strain. No question about it but most people don't extract in the best way, either under or over processing.  :)

9. I mean, if you're decarboxylating by baking or cooking your cannabis, you are absolutely destroying the entire terpene content of the product. 

What then is it that would make sativa and indica edibles feel different? Maybe a variation in CBN content, but test results show that CBN content is pretty even across sativas and indicas.

While that guy makes a good point about proper decarb'ing not contributing to CBN content, he is misinformed about CBD. CBD does not produce couchlock, anyone who has access to high CBD strains know this, its an old misconception. 99.9% of strains don't even produce more than 1% CBD so it's not even a factor.

11. The Sativa/Indica edibles I've seen actually have extracted terpenes added back in for the extra twist to the high. While I agree that 11-HO-thc is very sedative feeling, I think that adding certain terpenes from sativa plants may give it a more cerebral feeling to accompany it. My personal experience with Sativa/Indica edibles is pretty limited, but I can say with certainty that eating a gram of thc distillate with Obama Kush terpenes added back in will make me look like I'm on opiates. Next to try is the Durban Poison distillate for comparison.

12. I always use high CBD or strong indica dominant strains for edibles, and never sativas...but my mind doesn't agree with sativa and get too many racing thoughts and anxiety

13. I've also found that while earing some cbd with an edible can intensify the body feeling, but too much can cancel your head high and leave you with some neat body waves but very clear headed.

14. So I tried a couple different edibles that were advertised as being enhanced with sativa or indica terpenes and I can say I did feel a difference. The setting was different for each experiment but my mind was generally in the same place. I did get a very pronounced body high from both but the sativa one made me laugh and smile more than the indica. It's possible it's placebo because I was with some funny people, but I don't think so.

15. Sativa edibles are often associated with uplifting and energizing effects, while Indica edibles tend to be more relaxing and sedating. The choice depends on desired effects and personal preference.