Sandblasting and Electroplating

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by tokin&jokin, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Hey guys, I was thinking about having my waffle sent out to either be sandblasted or electroplated. Just wondering how many people have done either one of these and who you could recommend for either. Also, I'm considering ideas for a theme either way, and am open to ideas! Any input would help, thanks dudes!

2. This is something i plan to have done to my sg stemline someday. Pizzle would be the #1 on my personal list for electro. But I also dig Shipwrecks electro.

Sandblasting i personally really dig EFS, or Liberty.

Id say electro > sandblasting but both can be done very tastefully. Im interested in seeing some pricing from people. I think PaulMW420 had his Mini king stemline done by pizzle, turned out super dope.

3. I have got some quotes, and Pizzle is definitely on the higher end of the spectrum (quoted at more than double what the tube originally cost). I talked to shipwreck as well, and he had much more reasonable pricing. I'm interested to know done of the costs of blasting though as financially it's seeming more reasonable.

4. Ya i figured pizzles work would easily be more than the actual piece itself, which is a little off putting but hes an og with electro so i understand. What did shipwreck quote you?

5. [quote name='"Flurgen"']Ya i figured pizzles work would easily be more than the actual piece itself, which is a little off putting but hes an og with electro so i understand. What did shipwreck quote you?[/quote]

About the price of the tube

6. Thats pretty reasonable. Id rather have electro over sandblasting personally. Most of shipwrecks work tho is already patina'd or whatever it is, which i like the actual copper look better. Although if i came up with a dope image id want sandblasted I could see that trumping some electro. Just have no idea what id want blasted.

7. [quote name='"Flurgen"']Thats pretty reasonable. Id rather have electro over sandblasting personally. Most of shipwrecks work tho is already patina'd or whatever it is, which i like the actual copper look better. Although if i came up with a dope image id want sandblasted I could see that trumping some electro. Just have no idea what id want blasted.[/quote]

That's the exact state I'm I'm right now. I talked to him about the patina and he said he could actually leave it as a copper finish and just lacquer it to avoid discoloration. I'm trying to come up with an idea to blast but nothing had really come to mind yet lol

8. Personally I chose to get my EFS custom sandblasted rather than getting color work. Cost $50 more but I felt it'd give the scientific piece a much classier look in the long run cause I figured any kind of actual color work I'd get sick of seeing on a daily driver.

If I were to choose between electroplating and sandblasting it'd depend on what the rest of my collection were like, but personally I'd go sandblasting first as it's cheaper and I feel it looks classier.

Hit up EFS for a quote it's very reasonable.

9. Not sure how one art form can be classy while another is not. I get it is opinions but sandblasting and electroplating are both great forms of artistic expression. Not to mention electroplating gives a sort of Steampunk look if you get what I mean. Always been a steam punk fan. Either way, both will look phenomenal!

10. Starting to lean more towards the sandblasting. I've emailed EFS but haven't heard anything back as of yet. Any other sandblasting artists you guys would recommend? I tried to send Pakoh a message, but he read it and never responded..oh well. Thanks for the input guys!

11. Still trying to come up with themes for the tube as well of yall have any ideas! Don't know if I want to do random stuff or if I want it all to flow as one scene. I had thought about doing the base as a waffle pattern if I decide to go random lol

12. I can understand what he's Saying. It's like taking black white and rainbow color combo. If done correctly it can look classy as fuck but if done wrong obviously it's not going to look as good. I feel that might be more what he's going for with classy and not classy. Not that electro forming isn't classy just seems sandblasting is more low key and not trying to be like check out this shit all over my tube. Not using shit in a bad way there. But it can go the same with sandblasting. Can definitely be overdone or just look bad
    I'd go sandblasting myself though if it were my decision. I'd probably go for a design of sorts over an actual image. Always the chance of getting bored or just not liking whats put on after awhile

Sent from my iPhone using GC Forum

13. Egyptian style sandblasting always looks so sick in my opinion.

14. [quote name='"sleepy1"']Egyptian style sandblasting always looks so sick in my opinion.[/quote]

That one is actually in my list lol, along with a cityscape, outer space (if possible), or a video game classic like Mario or Zelda! Maybe a Mayan theme!?

15. I think an outerspace/alien sandblast could suit you well just by the looks of your avatar.

16. Mayan would be sick. Now I want to sand blast my mini licit tube. Gonna have to look into it

Sent from my iPhone using GC Forum

17. Electroplated the bottom half, sandblast the top half. Have the coolest tube ever.

18. How sick would a South Park theme be! I know you guys have ideas, throw them out there!

19. [quote name='"Peeled Bananas"']Electroplated the bottom half, sandblast the top half. Have the coolest tube ever.[/quote]

I'm not sure if I like it would look that good, on to if being an $800 job lol

Do you have any pictures of one that had been done!?