sand in my buds

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Cactus Ed, Oct 17, 2015.

1. I've got a lot of sand in some of the buds from a plant I kept trimmed and low to the ground because it was growing in my squash garden that's within full view from the street. Rinsing doesn't work of course so I was thinking of making oil with it. Has anyone here made oil with sandy buds? I guess I'll try it because it's worthless for anything else that I can think of and there's too much resin to simply toss it.

2. ya, I make quick wash (grain alcohol) with 'dirty' buds when it happens. I use the 'paper' coffee filter to strain it and it is always clean.
    only reason I don't go bho is lack of proper tools and a yard to do it in..I think it would work fine.//static.grscty.com//public/style_emoticons/default/smoking-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif

3. If you have bags, you can make ice has. The bags will catch all of the sand.

E

4. Hmmm, The Sand doesn't seem to be a problem to me...?
    Am I missing something ?
    First.... It doesn't burn...
    So if yer Smoking.... Yer only smoking the Weed ???

Now this is a different story if yer eating it...
    Now brush that shit off and light it up...

5. #5 BrassNwood, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2015
    http://forum.grasscity.com/harvesting-processing-medical-marijuana/1338323-hash-master-5000-dry-ice-method.html/page-3

Take your Hashmaster 5000.. 10 pounds of dry ice and about a pound of trim, shake or what I use is high grade bud.. lots of it..
    [​IMG]
    First turn your sandy buds to 160 micron dry ice hash
    [​IMG]
    Then turn your freshly made hash into badkats canna oil caps..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [*]5 grams hash, kief or powdered bud[*]1 tablespoon coconut oil (actually the recipe calls for 2 1/2 teaspoons)[*]1/4 to 1/2 tea spoon soy lecithin powder or granules.. I just wing this as it doesn't seem to critical as long as some is used.. Error on the high side if anything..[*]Decarb 40 min @ 220 deg covered.. [*]Blend and process 20 min @ 220 covered then freeze.. Add additional heat and freeze cycles to raise the sledgehammer higher.. 4 full cycles of heat and freeze is what I do..[*]Makes about 15 "00" caps or 30ish "0" size[*]I work with it warm and keep stirring as I cap to get an even distribution of the sludgy bits to each cap..[​IMG]
    1 gram of hash to 1 ounce of 151 every clear makes a fine tincture.. A few droppers in your drink or directly under your tongue will send you on your way..
    BNW

6. I saw your hashmaster a couple of years ago and while I don't have one, I did make something very similar by putting a stainless mesh screen for the lid of a canister but it's not motorized. This summer I made a kief tumbler out of an ice cream maker and I'm waiting on cold weather to try it out. The problem here is the sand grains are stuck to the resin. I could smoke it of course, and at various times in the past I would but I grow (indoors) and don't sell so I have a lot of bud laying around. I always smoke the best I have and the dirty buds won't ever make the cut.
    For a few years all I did was edibles. I found the easiest way was to decarb and powder the bud and put the powder directly into capsules. With my milligram scale I can get the dose exactly right every time and it was so easy. I'd make a months worth in 15 minutes, not counting decarbing time of course. I don't understand why people would make kief then make oil out of the kief and then put the oil in a capsule.
    I considered using bubble bags. I thought maybe the sand would settle faster than the trichomes and I could separate it that way but I realized the sand was stuck to the resin, shaking won't separate it. Have you actually worked with that sticky stuff?

7. There's the ISO wash... Haven't done it... But it'll separate the resin to give you a sticky hash...
    I'm sure you can find info on it... They use Isopropyl Alcohol for the wash...
    and something about it evaporating off.... leaving sticky hash

8. Thanks Groot, but I made my first hash oil in 1981 or 82, a few years after I started growing. We didn't call it QWISO back then, probably because it wasn't a quick wash and the oil was black. I've not had sand in my buds before because I grow inside. This plant was a reveg from a crop that I harvested in January. I took one of the lower popcorn branches and stuck it in moist coco. It took about 2 months to root and reveg and then I stuck it in my squash garden out of curiosity. I kept it very low during veg because it was only hidden in squash plants. Being so close to the ground led to the sand, and it's a lot of sand, I'd guess at least 10% of the weight is sand. I did try smoking it in a pipe to check the potency and maybe flavor but got a bit of sand in my teeth. A bong would have been better but I thought if the sand didn't end up in the oil, making oil would be the way to go.
    I like your username. Groot's one of my favorite characters, he's simple, competent, direct, and loyal.

9. WE are Groot

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. It worked perfectly. No sand made it thru the process and the oil looked as clean or cleaner than any other I've made. Thanks.