Sand box to garden

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Popcorn, Mar 15, 2019.

1. my plan is to take a sand box we have out back and make it into a raised bed garden. The box is just the rounded 4 by 4 stacked three high to make a box held together with long bolts. It has old crazy sand in it I plan to take out just wondering if it would help the drainage of the soil if I keep some in I will probable use fox farm license forest. What do you guys think and does anyone have a similar raised bed.

2. Sounds like a good idea, the sand should help with drainage. I do not have any thing such as that but next year when medical is legal I will have.

3. Yea it's not legal here either so it is just going to be a vegetable/fruit garden with later plans to make organic soil there and use it for the indoor crop in winter and veggi garden in summer. I am not sure it is possible since I have not looked into the organic soil that extensively, just an idea for now gotta get the regular garden going for a year.
    I will put some pictures up I took out half of the sand today.

4. You know, I use to turn loose night crawlers every time I had the kids fishing in this one spot beside the 4 motorcycle and 4 wheeler shed. That ground is black, soft, and will grow a horse week stalk as big as a pop can.
    Start with good brown dirt, add some of the sand at the bottom maybe even mix a little in, pour ye some crawlers in there, coffee grounds, banana peels, etc... to feed the worms, they will pay you with good castings.
    Maybe around the edge get a old indoor outdoor carpet and put down, keeps the ground moist and the worms a place to hid.

5. 20190315_173659.jpg
    Here is my little dream.