Same strain, different phenotypes

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by DankDolph, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Greetings all! I attached a few pics of some interesting growth I've got. Below are 2 females who are just shy of their 3rd week of flower (getting hair cuts soon.)

Headband x Durban Poison, from the same seed pack. These are the only 2 I germinated and grew out, so no comparisons. The taller one on the left, is 32 inches tall, and as you can see I actually did a little ghetto LST because I knew it might out grow my room (it didn't, almost though.) The right plant is a squat 19 inches.

Maybe you guys see this a lot, but this is the biggest difference I've had from a single strain pack. I guess the shorter more indica looking one is just expressing it's OG Kush heritage?

Final note, sorry about the pics. I've got magnetic ballasts so I had to move the plants for the photo op!

Attached Files:

2. #2 Tbone Shuffle, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    I've experienced the same thing. My Grand Daddy Purple seeds I sprouted looked like different strains of plant. At first I had 4 phenos. I narrowed that to two. After a couple of grows I dumped the small one and went with the more colorful, taller, more voracious grower. I call that GDP Purple Prose. The smaller plant always had more healthy foliage and grew extremely uniform but was small.
    I called the small pheno Sister Stout.
    [​IMG]
    It looks like I mainlined it. That's just topped and tied off. I couldn't believe how even it grew. But 75% the yeild of the other pheno and half the color. It was just as stony though.

This is the same batch of seeds. Purple Prose.
    [​IMG]
    It's just a better plant so that's the only GDP in my garden now. I'm trying to diversify. I have some White Widow and Sensi Star coming up along with 2 other bagseed strains. 1 alien sativa that takes about 14 weeks or so.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Very interesting, I've just got to a point where I'm able to select my strongest seedlings for future generations, before I was just growing fresh seeds every time. I kept clones of both if these, I suspect I won't keep the squat one either, and I'll just train this big ole bueaty better next go around.

I'll be sure to update in a month or so with fresh pics

4. I would always recommend if you want a good strong version of a strain to pop several seeds and select the best phenotype after budding them. As you have seen they can vary a considerable amount especially if they're a hybrid strain. I would hate to have settled for the small version of my GDP. The phenotype I'm growing is a superior plant in almost every aspect. Unless you're getting a known already grown clone for someone that's the best approach to selecting a new strain from seed IMO.

• Like Like x 1