Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Salt water in bubbler

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by chemists, Mar 12, 2012.

1. right dude beware of breaking your pieces trying this

2. Sounds pointless, no need to get super cold water
    Not sure what you're going for, I think room temp or warmer water is better for your throat anyway

3. As I see it, the two main purposes of passing smoke through water are to cool the smoke and to remove heavier soluble nasty particles that would otherwise deposit in your lungs. Having salty cold water would cool down the smoke more, but I still wouldn't do it.

Here's why: basic chemistry says that the more particles of solute (smoke) that are dissolved in the solvent (water), the harder it his for more particles of solute to dissolve, since there is less solvent to "attack" it and pull it into solution. This is why dirty bong water doesn't work as well at filtering smoke as fresh water; the dirty water has so many particles in solution that it has difficulty filtering new smoke. Dissolving salt in water (or even worse, creating a saturated solution like some people suggested) takes up all of the space for new particles to be dissolved.

So, although you'd cool the smoke down more, you'd still probably get a harsh and unhealthy hit since you're effectively passing the smoke through a liquid that's just as bad (if not worse) than old, dirty bong water.

4. Yeah, the whole point is because I cant get ice in my bubbler. If you understand putting ice in a bong, this is the same thing for those of you who think its pointless. The salt shouldnt mess the bong up either, and I dont think you could get salt stains could you?

Anyways this was just a highdea lol trying to get around not being able to put ice in a bubbler

5. thanks for the chemistry lecture too lol though I do have a MS in it -_-

6. [quote name='"chemists"']thanks for the chemistry lecture too lol though I do have a MS in it -_-[/quote]

After reading this thread I thought you were a movie star? :confused:

7. Lol sorry, that stands for masters in science (chemistry specifically)

8. hey op, i had the same issue and resolved it by placing my bubbler inside a mason jar with ice and water, was a lil bulky, but worked.

9. Can't you just put water in the freezer until it's a snow/slushee type texture? It seems like using salt would make the water irritatibaly cold.

10. Idk about other fourms but for a stoner fourm we got some pretty god Damn smart ass convos I was trading post and ull both fuckers sound smart haha..

11. Fuck yeah. THIS BOWL IS FOR SCIENCE! haha experimentation. This is really sounding like it could lead to a good science fair project. Im a senior.

12. ...wait i thought hes filling it with "saline"

here chemists try it like that just heat up some distilled water near boiling, doesn't have to be too hot. Next, just keep adding salt untill you have some christals that are still visible, and haven't desolved. That means you are at 100% saturation. mabey filter the saline solution (coffee filter??) put it in the bong and put it in the freezer.

13. oh shit i didnt think of that if its saturated does it still filter or just cool it? come on OP tell us did it work

14. Dude. I wasn't "lecturing" you, I was explaining to you why it shouldn't work. If you think that my explanation wasn't necessary because you established your chemical authority by arguing the semantics of "suspension" vs. "solution", then good for you -- and you should have already known the answer before creating this thread.

15. As a chemist I think you should be able to take a particular volume of water, add an amount of salt, determine the heat transfer coefficient of the solution, the temp of the smoke, the volume of smoke in a hit, as well as an estimated period of contact with the water, and determine how cold the solution should be to remove x degrees of heat from the smoke to reduce it to a desired temperature safe for inhalation.

It is all math. X ml of water with Y mg of salt absorbs Z degrees from T degrees. Just have to finesse the solution a little to prevent freezing of the water at the desired solution temperature.

16. I guess it comes down to what you think is more important. Personally, I use a bong because I want to filter out the nasties from the smoke, with the added benefit of cooling the smoke some. I think having a solution with a better capacity to do so is more important than having a cooler solution. I guess some may disagree.

17. Lol I thought he was going to say hes on a beach with no fresh water and only has the Ocean

18. [quote name='"spagettimnstr"']

I guess it comes down to what you think is more important. Personally, I use a bong because I want to filter out the nasties from the smoke, with the added benefit of cooling the smoke some. I think having a solution with a better capacity to do so is more important than having a cooler solution. I guess some may disagree.[/quote]

Bongs filter out very little of the tar. Actual scientific experiments have shown that the smoke from a joint, albeit hotter, is cleaner than smoke that has been "filtered" through water.

If you'd like to see just what is making it through your bong take a paper towel and fold it in half twice. Exhale your hit through the paper towel and check out the funk.

Now, that isn't to say that using a bong is any more dangerous. Little "hairs" called cillia line our esophagus and are the last line of defense for our lungs. Hot smoke will kill and scar the cillia, preventing our natural ability to filter the air we breathe. This is an issue with cigarettes particularly and cig companies put small slits in the paper just above the filter to allow cool air to be pulled in with every drag. As most people pack there cigarettes what they don't realize is they are making them much more dangerous.

Cool, clean, air is the goal. The "best" way to smoke is with a vaporizer which can be pulled through bong for cooling. This results is a thc vapor that is clean and cool. I would imagine that a diffused downstream would greatly assist the cooling from the water by reducing the surface area of each bubble of smoke as well.

19. Hahaha, not all stoners are dumb.

20. Thats what im trying to avoid. I dont want salt to precipitate out of the solution when I put it in the freezer. Ideally, id like to just add enough salt so that it could be cooled to 32F without freezing.