Salt softened water ?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by NCDROGRO, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Well my question is my well water is hooked up to a salt softened water system because the water is very hard, and with the system being hooked up I can now smell sulfur in the water? I read in The Bible that salt softened water is detrimental to plants.

So I'm wondering what my options are because I'm guessing its not a good idea to use the house water. Should I just buy distilled water as a option although I'm guessing too that could be costly? Any help is much appreciated thanks! :)

2. boil your water....or leave it set for a day or so...wont that work?

3. I think leaving the water sit for 24hrs will only evaporate the chlorine from the water I don't believe that it will help with the salinity in the water due to the salt softened water system or the sulfur i can smell in it which smells like rotten eggs & I believe thats sulfur I'm smelling, without the salt softened water system the waters extremely hard & don't believe its good for the plants.

4. that be great & work but I can't afford to buy another water system the salt softening one already cost me a good amount thanks though for the reply & trying to help appreciate it.

5. Hey op, i too have a well with salt filtration. Yes there is that same familiar sulfur smell. I tried a brita faucet thing with little success. DUH. Then i just got an RO system.

Hooked it up myself. Not hard at all (save for the drilling through the porcelain coated cast iron sink for the spigot which you may be able to avoid). Never done any plumbing before in my life.

Now i use half RO and half well water. Seems to do fine. Check my sig to see results if you want. Hope that helps.

6. #7 ricard0, Apr 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2009
  7. You can put a filter on there, as well...would get rid of the odor....and you should be able to put a bypass on if there isn't one already...the hard water is better for the plants than the salty water is..I used to use the soft water for my houseplants and it killed them, so now I just go to the outdoor spigot to get water....plants are good again...I believe the hard water is full of nutrients....another idea would be to put a bucket out and collect rain water

8. Thanks guys for your help. If I were to just buy water whats better distilled or spring?

9. anyone please?

10. gracias toasty :)

11. Salt softened water is OK for dishwashers, but will kill your plants. And boiling it will not remove the salt. And hard water is not generally a problem when watering.

I use tap water, and leave it for 24 to evaporate the chlorine - which IS a problem.

12. ty cantharis appreciate it. guess I'll be buying distilled water for a little while until I can break down for a RO system.